Advice on applying to UK schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pushkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US citizen and resident, but I would like to apply to some UK med schools, such as GKT. Do I start by filling out the online UCAS form? The UCAS website says it's for "undergraduate" applications. I already have a bachelor's degree. Should I fill it out anyway? Can anyone help me out by telling me more about the application process?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm canadian and I applied to medical and pharmacy schools in the UK last year.
What I did was I contacted the british consulate and I got their education office to send me a paper application. I'm sure you can request a package from UCAS directly. I think the paper version is more convenient because you write in as much as you can without character limitations.

Most programs are "undergraduate entry" because the medical degree in the UK is an undergraduate degree (bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery = MBBS or MBChB). Some programs do have graduate entry, where having a bachelors degree can knock off a year of the program. You'll have to consult each school individually though or browse through other threads on this forum.

someone can correct if i'm wrong on any of this...

hope this helps!

I do know that St George's has a graduate entry medical course- but I'm not sure how long the course is....

Members don't see this ad :)
Choda said:
I'm canadian and I applied to medical and pharmacy schools in the UK last year.
What I did was I contacted the british consulate and I got their education office to send me a paper application. I'm sure you can request a package from UCAS directly. I think the paper version is more convenient because you write in as much as you can without character limitations.

Most programs are "undergraduate entry" because the medical degree in the UK is an undergraduate degree (bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery = MBBS or MBChB). Some programs do have graduate entry, where having a bachelors degree can knock off a year of the program. You'll have to consult each school individually though or browse through other threads on this forum.

someone can correct if i'm wrong on any of this...

hope this helps!

That is all correct. I agree, go via the British Consulate, they can supply the relevent UCAS forms. I think on-line application is for British colleges only. Application forms for 2005 entry will not be available until early to mid August. Applications MUST be in by 15 October for Medicine. You can apply to up to 4 medical schools. They are all undergraduate courses, regardless of what degrees you may already have.

You will need a Personal Statement for the application which has to fit on 2/3 of a side of A4 paper so it can not be longer than approx 350 words, so you could make a start on that as it is the hardest part of the application!

The following UK website may be of some help to you:

http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum/index.php

Thanks for the replies! I'll call the consulate tomorrow. Meanwhile I am trying to put together a list of four schools that might seem most open-minded about a non-traditional American applicant.

Choda--I was wondering, when you filled out the paper UCAS form, did it have a part that you had to fill in with a reference written by someone else? I was looking at the online UCAS form, and I noticed that was part of it. I'm also applying to US and Canadian schools, and my references have all been written by people who don't expect me to actually see them. I wonder, since I'll hopefully be doing the paper UCAS application anyway, if I could substitute my pre-med committee letter, and either include it in a sealed envelope or have it sent seperately. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it, but if you remember what you did for your application, and you could let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone!

The reference MUST be written on the UCAS form itself. This is photocopied, reduced to 50% size and then forwarded to each university you apply to. They do supply an adhesive sheet so the reference can be wordprocessed and then stuck onto the appropriate section. They supply an adhesive sheet for your personal statement as well.

Additional references can be sent to the universities after your applocation has been processed. However, make sure they have your UCAS ID number on each sheet or they will probably not reach your file. Most people do not bother with additional references and admissions tutors are not compelled to read any additional information beyond what is on your UCAS form.

Hope that helps.

yeah Kev's got it dead on.

Hehehehe funny thing though they don't allow you print anything smaller than 12 font on the adhesive sheets. My PS was a little longer than I thought, so I spent several hours adjusting the margins, deleting words and making the font 11.86 in order to fit it onto the sheet. I thought the A4 sheet is a little tedious to use on north american printers...but that's maybe cuz I had a cheap one....

The UCAS people are pretty *anal* about keeping everything on that one sheet of paper. Thus all the rules must be strictly adhered to. If a school requires you to submit additional information, they will notify you via email (as they did for me).
The paper application is only 4 pages long (you can check the website for a sample of one). The first page being personal information and a box at the bottom for your six program choices (you can only have max 4 choices for every one type of program). the second page is for your marks/grades (must be signed by a school official or a prof/reference. The third and fourth pages are for your PS and reference.

you can only have max 4 choices for every one type of program
you can make 4 choices max for medicine, dentistry or veterinary science. Anything else you can have up to 6 choices for- not that you are applying for anything else :D

UK students can apply to only one of Cambridge or Oxford, but not both. Not sure if this rule applies to international applicants.

Well, I sent off my request for a UCAS application. I guess I will contact my premed committee advisor and ask him to write another reference for me once I get the form and instructions. I'm sure he'll love that!

I don't think Oxford or Cambridge take overseas applicants, at least not for their graduate entry programs. By the way, am I using the right terminology here? I'm interested in the four year programs that you can enter only if you've already got a bachelor's degree. You still have to apply through UCAS though, it looks like. Australia has some similar programs, and they're called "graduate entry" as opposed to undergraduate entry which is what most people do. In the US, graduate entry is really all we have. What's it called in the UK?

If anyone has suggestions about which schools I should apply to, I'm all ears! Any anecdotes about Americans getting in anywhere in the UK?

Thanks again.

Pushkin, you are right, you do apply for the graduate entry programme (GEP) or graduate entry medicine (GEM) through UCAS (different names for the same thing). However, most 4 year courses do not accept international students so I strongly advise that you contact each university directly to confirm if they do before you apply. I believe Cambridge do accept international students and Warwick and Kings, London may do as well, but you should check. They are more likely to accept internationals for 5 year courses as the 4 year courses are subject to much tighter quotas and regulations, so make sure also they know you are referring to the 4 year courses.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information about Oxford, W4G. I had no idea they accepted Americans into their grad program--I thought I had read otherwise on their website but I must have been wrong. That's good to know!

I just got an email response from GKT. They told me that to apply to their graduate entry program I needed an honors degree. In the email I originally sent to them I explained that I had a bachelor's degree, and that I received honors when I graduated, but that here in the US we don't have such a thing as an "honors degree." So they really didn't answer my question. Does anyone happen to know how foreign degrees are evaluated in the UK? Can you apply for programs that require an honors degree even if all you have is an American bachelor's degree? In the UK, what is the difference between a degree and an honors degree (or honours, I mean!)?

All this info is really helpful, so thanks again everyone!

Some universities must accept US Bachelors degrees for entry to postrgraduate medicine courses as there are some americans on them! :D They may need a transcript of you classes and the grades achieved? Are your degrees graded in any way? You say you were awarded Honours, does this mean you did exceptionally well? Some UK admissions tutors may not be familiar with the system in the USA, so they may need to be given the facts!

Here in the UK there are two types of Bachelors degree, Honours and non-honours. Most (almost everyone) people study for an Honours degree which is graded and has a higher standing. A non Honours degree is simply pass or fail. Honours degree are classified as First Class, Second Class, upper Division (a 2.1), Second Class, lower division (2.2), Third class and finally a plain old "pass". They could be seen as Grades A-E. Honours degrees often have a research component not found in non Honours degrees. For most graduate entry degrees you would need a 2.1 or better.

Medical and dental degrees are actually non Honours degrees. You pass or fail. A small number (the top 10% approx) are awarded "Honours" but the degrees are not graded.

Thanks Kev! Wow, I had no idea that that's what "honours" meant for British degrees. I always thought it was something closer to what we have here in the US. "Honors" here carry a positive connotation and are awarded by colleges at graduation time, to students achieving certain gpa's. So for example, you could graduate "cum laude" or "honors" with a certain gpa, "magna cum laude" or "high honors" with another, higher gpa, or if you're really at the top of your class, you could be "summa cum laude" or "highest honors." But not all schools use these designations. Also, the cutoffs vary. It's nice to have honors, but it isn't an especially meaningful term. NOBODY chooses their school or program based on the honors that are offered.

Almost all of my college courses were graded. I don't think most US schools offer ungraded degrees that are only pass fail. So from what you've said, most US bachelor's degrees would count as "honors" degrees.

I appreciate this clarification because I never would have figured it out on my own. I'll be sure to explain things in my application. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi pushkin,

sorry for taking a month(!) to get back to you regarding UK application but it seems you've been left in Kev's good hands...

Just a note about the honours system over here. For graduate entry (which is even more competitive than undergrad entry) you need at least an upper second class honours degree (2.1). In Britain, this equals an overall percentage of at least 60% (a first class degree is 70% or more). So if you achieved that in your bachelors, you should be fine.

British grad applicants have to sit the Australian graduate entry exam (GAMSAT). I don't know whether you'll have to sit it too as an international applicant.

Finally, a note on international acceptance. Med students are the most expensive burden to universities and British students only have to pay a maximum of 1150 pounds per year in tuition fees, (the govt pays the rest) but even so there is a deficit, which the uni would gladly see filled by a big bucks international student. So the old line "UK medical schools don't accept students from countries with their own adequte medical training programmes" is a fallacy.

~miscy

miscalculated said:
hi pushkin,

sorry for taking a month(!) to get back to you regarding UK application but it seems you've been left in Kev's good hands...

Just a note about the honours system over here. For graduate entry (which is even more competitive than undergrad entry) you need at least an upper second class honours degree (2.1). In Britain, this equals an overall percentage of at least 60% (a first class degree is 70% or more). So if you achieved that in your bachelors, you should be fine.

British grad applicants have to sit the Australian graduate entry exam (GAMSAT). I don't know whether you'll have to sit it too as an international applicant.

Finally, a note on international acceptance. Med students are the most expensive burden to universities and British students only have to pay a maximum of 1150 pounds per year in tuition fees, (the govt pays the rest) but even so there is a deficit, which the uni would gladly see filled by a big bucks international student. So the old line "UK medical schools don't accept students from countries with their own adequte medical training programmes" is a fallacy.

~miscy

Just wanted to pick up on a couple of points here:

the marking of degree papers in the US is different in some respects to the UK. Therefore the % marks are not directly comparable between the two countries. Generally speaking the UK marking system is seen as harsher ie. it is very rare that UK students are awarded marks 80%+ for a degree paper as is more common in the US.

Not all graduate entry medical degrees require the Gamsat, only St Georges, London, Swansea and Notingham do. Others use the MSAT and some graduate entry courses have no entry examination at all.

The entry quota for international students does vary considerably from medical school to medical school and although Kings where Miscalculated is do take US students many do not and some schools take no international students at all, whether their home country has adequate medical training or not. You need to check with each school before applying.

Kev

Thanks again!

Ok, so a 2.1 means upper second class honors. Would a first class degree be 1.1? (Or 2.2?) What do each of the numbers refer to if you don't mind explaining? Sorry, I'm just clueless...

Here in the states we use a 0-4 scale, not percents, but definitely a competitive undergrad performance is way above the equivalent of 80%. I have above that but I'm sure British schools know that our acceptable range is smaller (like 90-100%). I'm going to apply to GKT, maybe Oxford, and 2 others that I still have to choose. I just wonder how they'll evaluate all my coursework... I've attended lots of different universities for pre-med classes since I got my undergrad degree in the humanities.

I know about the MSAT. Hopefully I can come over and take it in November, or maybe they'll offer it here. Yay for it being scheduled over Thanksgiving! GAMSAT I'll have to look into.

If anyone knows of Americans (the full fledged kind like me, with no other citizenship to help them out here) in specific British med schools, I'd love to hear about them. Then I can follow up a little better on individual schools so I can choose two more to apply to. I'd happily apply anywhere in the UK. The more info I can get the better, because the cost of any flights is going to have to come out of my overall application budget, which means I won't apply to as many US schools, where of course I think my chances are more realistic.

By the way, are there any UK schools that are known for their opportunities in international medicine or helping underserved groups? That's my area of interest.

It's great to get all this info, I totally appreciate it.

Hehe! Look at all the Brits coming out of the woodwork...

Classification of Degrees with Honours:
First - 1 (70%+)
Upper Second - 2.1 (65-70%)
Lower Second - 2.2 (60-65%)
Third - 3 (50-60%)
Pass (40-50%)
Fail... (<40%)

Non-honours degrees are usually shorter and pass/fail, except for Medicine, Dentristry and I think Vets, where the argument is that you are expected to be competent at the end of the degree, and as such are expected to gain a passing grade. If you do spectacularly well you can gain a Medical Degree with Honours, but only other medics know that this is something special...

GEP/GEM/GEC are all the same - Graduate Entry Programme/Medicine/Course. They are undergrad courses, but you have to be a grad to be allowed on them - make sense?!

Schools known for international med/underserved groups? Not that I'm particularly aware off, but you could make sure that where you want to go has an active MedSIN group - they do a lot of interesting stuff with more unfortunate persons.

Hope that helped a little!

Fiona

This is great! Now I know what the numbers mean. To think I have been to England 5 times and didn't know any of this stuff...

hello fiona,

yeah perhaps we're all cropping up here because at the barts board things seem a little slo!

how are things at bham? what year are you in now?

and Pushkin, the link for medsin is medsin.org so check that out. The GKT branch is, incidentally, very active (lots of GKTers on the national committee etc) A massive project that some GKT students did this summer was to build an orphanage in Kenya.

~miscy

Miscalc - I don't spend so much time on the Barts board now - I "lost" it when it moved, and only found it again recently...

I'm a 4th year now!! Oh my god! Not so very long now, all of a sudden it's that feeling of learning to be a safe doctor rather than just to pass exams... Be nice to get a pay cheque though!

Pushkin - I've been to the states twice and I'm on these boards a lot, and I have no idea what US numbers mean, so you're excused from knowing ours! ;)

Smile and the world smiles with you!

Fiona

PS - can you tell I've just finished exams?!

FionaS said:
Miscalc - I don't spend so much time on the Barts board now
I don't think many spend any time on the Barts Board now- it's sort of fizzled out after http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk took off.

Hope the exams went well Fiona.

Kev (UK) said:
I don't think many spend any time on the Barts Board now- it's sort of fizzled out after http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk took off.

Hope the exams went well Fiona.
Exams were very very evil! They asked about lots of sections of the Mental Health Act about which I knew nothing... And I knew the MHA really really well! Grrrr! Results (supposedly) on 20th August... Wait and see now...

Hello everyone! It's me again, with yet more questions....

Oh, and by the way, Fiona--good luck on your exam results!

Anyway, here's what I'm wondering:

1) Is it just me or is it strange that when I try to get info on entrance exams for medical courses in the UK I am directed to sites in Australia? All I know about the MSAT is that I'm supposed to go to the ACER website for info, but ACER MSAT link is broken. ACER's in Australia, and so is the GAMSAT. I do hope I'm looking up the right exams. I would just like to register for the November MSAT, which is required at GKT.

2) Does anyone know about Birmingham? Do they require the GAMSAT or MSAT for their five year (A100) course? They claim that they welcome overseas applicants (yay!)--I wonder exactly what credentials we overseas folks need to present.

Thanks!

Hi pushkin!

1) Both the MSAT and Gamsat entrance exams are run by ACER, an Australian organisation but I believe the entrance exams they devise for the UK medical schools are specifically for the UK schools. Gamsat and MSAT are used by different medical schools and as you know, GKT require you to sit the MSAT. The link is:

http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/university/msat/intro.html

It looks like you can register on-line for the November exam from 13 September 2004 (this is for 2005 entry).

2) Birmingham University do not currently require GAMSAT or MSAT for either their 4 or 5 year medical degree courses. I would contact them directly to find out exactly what they require from US applicants as far as entrance requirements go- these may change from year to year!

hey guys!

i'm also thinking about applying to med schools in the UK, but i've been living in America for the past 9 years and have become an American Citizen. However, I was born in the UK and also have British citizenship, would this make it easier for me to get admission at a UK med school, I already have an undergrad degree so I would be applying for graduate entry.

Thanks!

Madhatter said:
hey guys!

i'm also thinking about applying to med schools in the UK, but i've been living in America for the past 9 years and have become an American Citizen. However, I was born in the UK and also have British citizenship, would this make it easier for me to get admission at a UK med school, I already have an undergrad degree so I would be applying for graduate entry.

Thanks!
Most graduate entry medical courses only take applicants who are UK residents (where the UK has been their country of domicile for 3 years prior to the start of the course). This may restrict the schools you are eligible to apply to. However, I would recommend you contact each school to confirm their policy in regards to your unique situation.

Good luck.

Hi guys

i am also a dual citizen, Canada and UK, i was born in manchester, but i have spent the last 16 years here in Canada. I am also considering applying to UK schools.
i have contacted a number of schools and all of them have told me that although i have a UK citizenship, given that i havent lived there for the last 3 years, i will not be considered a home student and will go into the international pool.
my question is regarding the 4year or 5 year programs? i do have an undergraduate degree and a Master's of science degree both from University of Toronto. My undergrad GPA is not too hot about a 3.3 (i had 2 bad years at the beginning, but my overall % is about 80 because i ended with 3 good years). My grad GPA is 4.0 however my Master's degree was research based, so i didnt take many courses.
i know that the grad entry courses are very competitive and given that my grades at the undergrad level are not too hot (especially my first 2 years)
i dont have a good feeling about the grad entry route and feel i have a better shot at the 5 year programs.
i was thinking of applying to GTK, Warwick, Southhampton and perhaps Oxford
do u guys know if i still have to write the MSAT and BMAT if i decide to apply to the 5 year program as oppose to the 4 year program.
as far as i know or i can recall these tests (esp. MSAT) are for grad entry?
i would appreciate anyones help

cheers
Ali

i was wondering what exams are needed to apply to oxford and cambridge's medical school. also is it too late to apply for a spot in the entering 2005 class? i'm a current senior.

thanks
daisy

AliatUofT said:
Hi guys

i am also a dual citizen, Canada and UK, i was born in manchester, but i have spent the last 16 years here in Canada. I am also considering applying to UK schools.
i have contacted a number of schools and all of them have told me that although i have a UK citizenship, given that i havent lived there for the last 3 years, i will not be considered a home student and will go into the international pool.
my question is regarding the 4year or 5 year programs? i do have an undergraduate degree and a Master's of science degree both from University of Toronto. My undergrad GPA is not too hot about a 3.3 (i had 2 bad years at the beginning, but my overall % is about 80 because i ended with 3 good years). My grad GPA is 4.0 however my Master's degree was research based, so i didnt take many courses.
i know that the grad entry courses are very competitive and given that my grades at the undergrad level are not too hot (especially my first 2 years)
i dont have a good feeling about the grad entry route and feel i have a better shot at the 5 year programs.
i was thinking of applying to GTK, Warwick, Southhampton and perhaps Oxford
do u guys know if i still have to write the MSAT and BMAT if i decide to apply to the 5 year program as oppose to the 4 year program.
as far as i know or i can recall these tests (esp. MSAT) are for grad entry?
i would appreciate anyones help

cheers
Ali
Warwick only run a graduate course and you do have to sit the MSAT exam. The first degree should be in a biological science.
GKT akso requires the MSAT for the grad course, not for the 5 year course.
Oxford requires some form of entry exam (?BMAT) for entry to the 5 year course.
My understanding is that only Warwick and Oxford accept international students onto the graduate course so as an international student some of the 5 year degrees may improve your odds.
I strongly recommend you get the on-line preospectus' and contact admissions tutors before submitting your applications.

THE CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRY VIA UCAS FOR 2005 ENTRY IS 15 OCTOBER 2004.

Hi everyone

i am just wondering if there is any section on the UCAS application, that requires for us to list all the high school and university courses that i have taken over my undergraduate and graduate years?

if so can anyone tell me where this section is and how i can go about filling it out. would it be easier to just mention that i will send each institution a copy of my trascripts after october the 15th?

cheers
Ali

It is not usually required for you to state which courses you took for your bachelors or masters degrees. There was no section for this on the UCAS forrm when I applied a couple of years ago. If a university requires a transcript of your degree courses they will ask for it (I believe Warwick do as they ask you to complete a Supplementary Applcation Form (SAF) once they have shortlisted applicants.

HTH

Hi. I'm from California and I need help applying to under grad programs in med schools in the UK. I've gotten the UCAS form, but I don't know where to apply. I was thinking about Kings at the University of London or Kings at Cambridge. I've been told that Cambridge is out of my league, but I don't know how true that is. (I have a 4.0+ gpa (I think somewhere around 4.2 or 4.3...not sure yet...1290 SATI, 670 SAT II math, and 800 SATII writing). Plus, for Cambridge I would have take the BMAT. Any advice? Is Cambride out of the question or should I go for it? Either way, I wanted to know, realistically, what my chances are of getting in to Kings at London Univ or Cambridge. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it since apps are due soon...Oct. 15! Thanks...

smiles22 said:
Hi. I'm from California and I need help applying to under grad programs in med schools in the UK. I've gotten the UCAS form, but I don't know where to apply. I was thinking about Kings at the University of London or Kings at Cambridge. I've been told that Cambridge is out of my league, but I don't know how true that is. (I have a 4.0+ gpa (I think somewhere around 4.2 or 4.3...not sure yet...1290 SATI, 670 SAT II math, and 800 SATII writing). Plus, for Cambridge I would have take the BMAT. Any advice? Is Cambride out of the question or should I go for it? Either way, I wanted to know, realistically, what my chances are of getting in to Kings at London Univ or Cambridge. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it since apps are due soon...Oct. 15! Thanks...
The closing date for applications to sit the BMAT for entry to Cambridge, Oxford and Cambridge is tomorrow (Thursday) for 2005 entry so I guess being in USA you are too late for this year.

Kings College London do accept international students so I would recommend you contact them regarding entry requirements asap. If you have a biological science degree Warwick may be worth considering also. You can apply to up to 4 universities for medicine.

All UK Medicine courses are listed on http://www.ucas.co.uk

I can not help you with your GPA or SATs as they are not used here in the UK and mean nothing to to me, sorry.

Good luck with your application.

Well, I'm back in this forum, frantically trying to get my UCAS form done so I can mail it off.

I'm really confused about all the entrance exams for different med schools in the UK. Here are the 3 I know about, and the schools requiring them:

GAMSAT: required by Nottingham, Peninsula, St. George's, Swansea
BMAT: required by Cambridge, Oxford, University College London
MSAT: GKT (aka King's College London, am I right?), Queen Mary University of London, Warwick

Are there any exams I'm missing? Oh, and what is Peninsula? I hadn't heard of them til now. Does anyone know if they take overseas applicants?

I've gone to the test websites for info on test dates, registration deadlines and locations. (BMAT deadline was moved back to Oct. 7, so there's still time.) So that stuff I'm clear on.

And last, I'm trying to figure out which schools take overseas applicants AND have some version of an accelerated program (4-5 yrs.) Of course I would prefer not to take 3 standardized tests! Is that what you guys in the UK do when you are applying to multiple schools? Wow!

Thanks.

Another question!

Has anyone else used the stick-on version of the reference form? I have this really thick, slightly glossy page that came with my UCAS application, where they have printed the intructions for my referee on one side, and a copy of the page in the application that the reference gets typed into on the other side. So my referee could print the letter out on this form, and then in theory peel off the back paste it into the application. But I can't get the form to separate into a sticky part and the backing that peels off--do you know what I mean? I'm not sure if what I've got is a stick-on or just a thick piece of paper. I don't want to dog-ear the corners too much trying to find out.

Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks!

pushkin said:
Another question!

Has anyone else used the stick-on version of the reference form? I have this really thick, slightly glossy page that came with my UCAS application, where they have printed the intructions for my referee on one side, and a copy of the page in the application that the reference gets typed into on the other side. So my referee could print the letter out on this form, and then in theory peel off the back paste it into the application. But I can't get the form to separate into a sticky part and the backing that peels off--do you know what I mean? I'm not sure if what I've got is a stick-on or just a thick piece of paper. I don't want to dog-ear the corners too much trying to find out.

Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks!

Hi,

I went through the exact same thing you're talking about. And in answer to your question, yes, the glossy paper is the stick-on; you just have to really work the edges.

I was wondering if you could clarify something for me. Do any of the colleges at University of London require the BMAT for their undergraduate medical course (A 100)? As far as I know, it's only Oxford and Cambridge, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, I needed help trying to figure out if I have a chance of getting into Cambridge. I was thinking about applying for the undergrad program (5 years). I've registered for the BMAT. I also need to choose one of their 31 colleges. I could leave an open application, but then they would just end up picking for me. Any advice?

I also wanted to ask if anyone could tell me which colleges at University of London I should consider applying to. I was thinking about Kings College and Imperial College, but since I have four chocies, I wanted to make the most of it.

Any advice would be a great help. Thanks!

Are there any exams I'm missing?

Not that i am aware of- some medical schools have no entrance exam :)

Oh, and what is Peninsula? I hadn't heard of them til now. Does anyone know if they take overseas applicants?

It is a new medical school (2 years old). No idea if they take international students, so best call and ask.

Of course I would prefer not to take 3 standardized tests! Is that what you guys in the UK do when you are applying to multiple schools? Wow!

Yep, some do. There are even more tests when you get into med school so gets you in the swing I guess :D

smiles22 said:
I was wondering if you could clarify something for me. Do any of the colleges at University of London require the BMAT for their undergraduate medical course (A 100)? As far as I know, it's only Oxford and Cambridge, but I wanted to make sure
University College do.

pushkin said:
Are there any exams I'm missing? Oh, and what is Peninsula? I hadn't heard of them til now. Does anyone know if they take overseas applicants?

And last, I'm trying to figure out which schools take overseas applicants AND have some version of an accelerated program (4-5 yrs.) Of course I would prefer not to take 3 standardized tests! Is that what you guys in the UK do when you are applying to multiple schools? Wow!

Thanks.

Hey there Pushkin!

Hope it's all going well for you while you're stuck in the throes of the application process!

Peninsular (which rejoices in the abbrieviation of PMS) is one of the new medical schools. This year just started is their 3rd year, so the first lot of their students have just become fully clinical. It's a split medical school, in that the year is divided into 2, with half at Plymouth Uni and the other half at Exeter Uni for the first 2 years, and then you swap around. It's not quite that simple, because they use other hospitals in the South West too. Anyway, it's a great way to see the Westcountry (Devon and Cornwall) if you feel like it. They seem to be doing pretty well so far!

GKT is King's College London. It stands for Guys, Kings and St Thomas' Hospitals.

And yes, some people get stuck with doing all 3 standardised admission tests! When I applied (feeling old now!) none of these existed, except for Oxford and Cambridge who went their own way and had different exams for each college :eek: But then they decided that they needed something new, and for the moment you get this hodge podge. I'm sure one test will win out eventually.

Good luck! :luck:

Hey everyone!

I'm so excited. I just dropped my UCAS application off at the post office and it's on its way via express mail. I applied to GKT, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester. That means only one standardized test for me to take, the MSAT for GKT, which I can do right here in North America in Ottawa. I was worried about having to travel to the UK for multiple exams, but now I won't have to. Though I'm still impressed that you guys have the energy to take so many entrance tests. Here in the states we have only one of them to suffer through, the MCAT. Actually Edinburgh looks at MCAT scores from US applicants so I'm hoping that means they take our applications pretty seriously.

I applied to a whole host of US schools too since I know my chances as an overseas student in the UK are pretty slim. I'm quickly reaching application burnout!

I guess now I just wait to find out if everything clears UCAS? Then I send additional information on to the schools? I'm excited to see what happens next.

Now you disappear into the black hole that is UCAS! Bwah-hah-hah-hah...!!

First you get the thing to say they got your form, then you get the deafening silence... Seeeing as how you're a United Statian, the med schools will probably write to you and ask for the additional info off their own bat, but if they don't then you could send it once you have the bit of paper (or electronic equivalent, it's been a while since I went through the UCAS system) that says you are in the system...

Good luck!

If you have any questions at all about Brum, I'm here to help.

www.medschoolguide.co.uk is good too.

so i had a heck of a time trying to get my AP scores (the sheet is at home but doesn't mean anything ... plus i'm not there to hunt for it so it's as good as lost). finally got them tuesday the 11th (columbus day totally came out of nowhere - my school doesn't give us that day off, but the offices on campus, post office were closed) and then dropped off my application around 4pm. however, since UCAS has a PO BOX address the fastest thing they could do is 3-5 days ... as luck would have it i think it got delivered today ... is UCAS not going to look at my application?? are they going to bite my head off? help!

grrrrrrrr ... stupid post office!! and why are you only open for like 3 hrs on saturdays??? and till 4 on weekdays????? +pissed+

dayz said:
so i had a heck of a time trying to get my AP scores (the sheet is at home but doesn't mean anything ... plus i'm not there to hunt for it so it's as good as lost). finally got them tuesday the 11th (columbus day totally came out of nowhere - my school doesn't give us that day off, but the offices on campus, post office were closed) and then dropped off my application around 4pm. however, since UCAS has a PO BOX address the fastest thing they could do is 3-5 days ... as luck would have it i think it got delivered today ... is UCAS not going to look at my application?? are they going to bite my head off? help!

grrrrrrrr ... stupid post office!! and why are you only open for like 3 hrs on saturdays??? and till 4 on weekdays????? +pissed+
UCAS will still process your application even if it arrives after the 15 October deadline BUT the medical schools are not obliged to consider applications that arrive after this date. Some may, some may not. It may be in your interests to find out for certain the date your application arrived at UCAS and if it was after 15 October to contact the medical schools and explain why your application was late. As you are an international applicant thay may be more inclined to consider a late application.

Good luck.