Advice no organic chem pcat in september

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabrinael

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am new to this site,
I will be taking my pcat in September 2012 but I have no taken organic chemistry. I will be taking organic chem 1 in the fall 2012 and organic chemistry 2 spring 2013. I know I should have waited to take the pcat after those prerequisites were complete but I'm hoping to school decent and have letters of recommendation and my gpa help balance my score. Is there any advise you can give me? Please and thanks you! I have already purchased Kaplan pcat study book 2012-2013!

I have read that the study book didn't have too much organic chemistry, since I haven't take that corse why can I do? What should I attempt to learn or review for organic chem.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends on which PCAT versions they give you. I have known people who's chemistry section was pretty much all Chm2 but that was a couple years ago now. But when I took it there was about 1/3 OChem1&2 with the rest being calculation stuff from Chm2. Maybe a few basic Chm1 questions. I think the section that was the most brutal was the Quantitative Ability section because it is at the way end and you mind will probably be a little exhausted by then. REMEMBER you do not get to use a calculator and have like a little less than a minute to ans questions ranging from simple math, to word problems, to statistics, to pre-calc and calculus.

Definitely focus on what you do not know. The Kaplan book is okay but the math and chemistry stuff was too basic. I would suggest purchasing some practice PCAT test directly from Pearsons. I've heard the questions are very similar to what you will see because they are the ones that administer the PCAT. I have heard of people ONLY using the tests and getting in the 70-80 composite score range their first time.

Here's a link:
http://tpc-etesting.com/pcatopt/

Good luck and I think in the end... any prep you decide on doing is better than none.

Yes definitely purchase the practice tests, but also purchase McGraw Hill PCAT. It has a lot of organic chemistry, and it just shows you some of the basic reactions. Also Dr. Collins has a good mini review of the organic section. You really just need to know the basic reactions and learn nomenclature and SN1 and SN2 reactions. Kaplan doesnt do a good job with orgo, but definitely use McGraw Hill and its really cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes definitely purchase the practice tests, but also purchase McGraw Hill PCAT. It has a lot of organic chemistry, and it just shows you some of the basic reactions. Also Dr. Collins has a good mini review of the organic section. You really just need to know the basic reactions and learn nomenclature and SN1 and SN2 reactions. Kaplan doesnt do a good job with orgo, but definitely use McGraw Hill and its really cheap.

This :thumbup: I did the same thing last Sep and got with my Orgo prof and had him explain SN1 and SN2 along with nomenclature. I am positive that this is what kept my score up.

so one would be okay studying and taking the PCAT with just organic chemistry I and not II? I was looking at the McGraw-hill book, and it seems like the organic topics covered in it were all covered in my first semester class and lab...

so one would be okay studying and taking the PCAT with just organic chemistry I and not II? I was looking at the McGraw-hill book, and it seems like the organic topics covered in it were all covered in my first semester class and lab...

Personally, I think that it would be best to take both classes prior to taking the PCAT.

However, you'd be less hindered by having only 1 semester of Organic vs. having no experience with Organic.

I think it really depends on which PCAT versions they give you. I have known people who's chemistry section was pretty much all Chm2 but that was a couple years ago now. But when I took it there was about 1/3 OChem1&2 with the rest being calculation stuff from Chm2. Maybe a few basic Chm1 questions. I think the section that was the most brutal was the Quantitative Ability section because it is at the way end and you mind will probably be a little exhausted by then. REMEMBER you do not get to use a calculator and have like a little less than a minute to ans questions ranging from simple math, to word problems, to statistics, to pre-calc and calculus.

Definitely focus on what you do not know. The Kaplan book is okay but the math and chemistry stuff was too basic. I would suggest purchasing some practice PCAT test directly from Pearsons. I've heard the questions are very similar to what you will see because they are the ones that administer the PCAT. I have heard of people ONLY using the tests and getting in the 70-80 composite score range their first time.

Here's a link:
http://tpc-etesting.com/pcatopt/

Good luck and I think in the end... any prep you decide on doing is better than none.

I found the Kaplan book to be a little acidic...:laugh:

OP,

I don't know how available your instructors are at your current college or what resources it offers you, but you might be able to meet an o-chem instructor (or tutor) during office hours to gain some insight on o-chem concepts. That's what I did to study for the possible o-chem II material. I took the PCAT with only the first semester under my belt. My test presented 3-4 o-chem II questions. I was able to narrow the choices down to 50/50 and I received an 88 for that section. As you're studying, definitely write down any questions you have regarding o-chem and get them answered by a tutor/instructor. Good luck!

Hello I am new to this site,
I will be taking my pcat in September 2012 but I have no taken organic chemistry. I will be taking organic chem 1 in the fall 2012 and organic chemistry 2 spring 2013. I know I should have waited to take the pcat after those prerequisites were complete but I'm hoping to school decent and have letters of recommendation and my gpa help balance my score. Is there any advise you can give me? Please and thanks you! I have already purchased Kaplan pcat study book 2012-2013!

I have read that the study book didn't have too much organic chemistry, since I haven't take that corse why can I do? What should I attempt to learn or review for organic chem.

Without having taken Ochm, I recommend 4 things:
1. Recognize functional groups (inside cover of any ochm text) R2CO2
2. Nomenclature (CH3CH2CHCHCH2CH3) etc.
3. Be able to recognize the SN1 and SN2 reactions
4. Be able to recognize the E1 and E2 reactions.

If you study all summer and find you are strong in other areas, pick up your ochm text book early and try to get through the first 6 - 8 chapters on your own. Ochm 2 info isn't tested much, if at all, on the pcat. Remember, chemistry is the most valued section.

Personally, I think that it would be best to take both classes prior to taking the PCAT.

However, you'd be less hindered by having only 1 semester of Organic vs. having no experience with Organic.

Thanks. I'm taking Organic II over the summer, so I should have it under my belt before I take the PCAT.

I just bought the Kaplan book, and it claims that one should take one semester of organic chemistry prior to the PCAT. I assume that they mean that this is just the minimum? The Organic section in the Kaplan book is definitely skimpy, so I'll look into purchasing the Mcgraw-Hill book as well (I also bought the Examkrackers MCAT Organic book, so maybe I'm just obsessing too much about the Orgo part of the test right now :D).

As far as topics covered in the Chemistry section, the PCAT Test Blueprint says that "Basic Biochemistry Processes" are covered. Since it's in the Chemistry section, does this mean that it's covered from the Organic perspective and not what we learned in Bio I, meaning that I should review those sections in the organic text? I wish the topic blueprint was a little more in depth like what I've seen for the MCAT so I could have a better idea of what to review!

Thanks.

You mainly just need to know nomenclature and sn1/sn2 reactions. aside from that, study ochem on a need-to-know basis as you come across problems in the practice tests

One important thing to remember is that the Biochemistry aspect is relatively new for the PCAT. Since they are overhauling that aspect of the exam, it's quite feasible that they are going to change the types of Organic questions on the exam as well.

While most people have said that Organic 1 is "good enough" for the PCAT, I had at least 2 Organic 2 questions when I took the exam 2 years ago. Given that they are adding Biochemistry to the exam, it's reasonable to think that they will incorporate more Organic 2 on the exam as well.