advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eamd0619

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there anyone that went into NM residency straight out of med school? if so, please tell me what your experience has been like and what the whole application process entails since they participate in ERAS but not the national match program(i.e. from ERAS to interivew to acceptance).

also, i checked FREIDA yesterday(which had updated info as of 8/13/07) and it seems as though all the programs still remain at 2 years and not 3 as it was mentioned in this forum. i spoke to my dean recently and she really could not help me much since no one from my school has ever applied to NM residency straight out of med school. she suggested that i call up individual programs to find out more info.

lastly, how likely is it for someone like me(4th year US med student) to get accepted into a NM residency program? are they more inclined to accept people with more experience such as 3 years of IM residency? i guess i'm just trying to assess how competitive it is for 4th year med students to get a spot in NM residency program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I also replied to your PM. Re: the length of residency, the best thing to do is to call the American Board of Nuclear Medicine directly, you can get their number at www.abnm.org

is there anyone that went into NM residency straight out of med school? if so, please tell me what your experience has been like and what the whole application process entails since they participate in ERAS but not the national match program(i.e. from ERAS to interivew to acceptance).

also, i checked FREIDA yesterday(which had updated info as of 8/13/07) and it seems as though all the programs still remain at 2 years and not 3 as it was mentioned in this forum. i spoke to my dean recently and she really could not help me much since no one from my school has ever applied to NM residency straight out of med school. she suggested that i call up individual programs to find out more info.

lastly, how likely is it for someone like me(4th year US med student) to get accepted into a NM residency program? are they more inclined to accept people with more experience such as 3 years of IM residency? i guess i'm just trying to assess how competitive it is for 4th year med students to get a spot in NM residency program.

I know a few people who went through nm right after med school. They are doing ok, job-wise. But I can't say about the overal job situation.
As for competitivenss, don't worry. Just apply. If this is what you want, you will get it. But if you are thinking abou this because you don't think you can get into radiology, I would suggest that you apply to all the rad programs anyway. Radiology training is more comprehensive, marketable, and efficient. It's a better way to go, if you are interested in all the structural imaging as well.
Good luck.