Advice Needed - UK/US PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpsych

Reaction score
Hello all!

This fall, I will be applying to psychology doctorate programs in the US and UK. Unfortunately, I've encountered what seems to be a big stumbling block:

In the US, students must commit to a school by April 15th. In the UK, it seems as though schools don't release decisions until June/July.

Does anyone have advice for navigating this? This suggests that I have to either turn down all US programs or commit to a US program before knowing if I have a place in a UK program.

Alternatively, do you know which UK DClinPsy programs (self-funded) tend to release early decisions for international students? If there are no loopholes, I at least want to hedge my bets.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning to work/live in the UK after? If your plan is to return to the US, (sounds like you are from US?) it does not make sense to get Doctoral degree overseas. Most state license boards would require you to prove equivalent education and fieldwork experiences which may not be possible.

Reactions: 1 user
@MAClinician

Hi, thanks for the reply! I am from the US.

I am, unfortunately, aware of the issues that a foreign degree would pose. After much research, I think I'll just try to address one problem at a time and see what happens. Going to school in the UK has always been sort of a dream of mine, and I wasn't going to do it because of the licensing issues you referenced. Honestly, I think the pandemic has made me re-evaluate some of my goals. I don't want to miss out on this opportunity because of what it may or may not mean for the future. Who knows where I'll be in 5 years? On that line of thought: I had initially planned to return to the US, but I could also see myself staying in the UK. I'm flexible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all!

This fall, I will be applying to psychology doctorate programs in the US and UK. Unfortunately, I've encountered what seems to be a big stumbling block:

In the US, students must commit to a school by April 15th. In the UK, it seems as though schools don't release decisions until June/July.

Does anyone have advice for navigating this? This suggests that I have to either turn down all US programs or commit to a US program before knowing if I have a place in a UK program.

Alternatively, do you know which UK DClinPsy programs (self-funded) tend to release early decisions for international students? If there are no loopholes, I at least want to hedge my bets.

Thanks so much!

You may want to check out the Clearing House website and apply to universities that offer self-funded places for international students. They are less likely to follow the Clearing House timeline but you should check with individual schools. Based on the Clearing House timeline candidates will get a decision for NHS-funded places by early June so the earliest is probably May, but universities are not the most efficient so I will not bank on NHS-funded places.

Going to school in the UK has always been sort of a dream of mine, and I wasn't going to do it because of the licensing issues you referenced.
I'm all about people following their dreams. But if you go the UK route, the safe bet would be that you're getting training to practice psychology in the UK only. For example, you'll be missing an APA accrediated predoctoral internship.

If you have a state(s) that you may want to live in, review that state's licensing website and email the board with questions on UK equivalency and feasibility. And check out this APA FAQ.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all!

Thanks so much!

This is a tough one. A lot of UK programs do interviews in May/June (and you usually get a place or not right after the interview). They mostly admit you to the program, not to a particular professor.

However, US admissions to decent programs is based on a mentorship model - so a professor, once they admit you, they basically count on you to show up in the fall. If you let them know in June that you won't be coming, you might be burning a lot of bridges - they might be able to admit someone from the waitlist, but most competitive applicants probably already accepted at different programs, so they are left with no/a weaker student.

I don't know about self-funded places, but DClinPsy admissions are very competitive and most people don't get offered a place the first time; also most applicants already have work experience inthe NHS. And there's also the question of why go through the pain of training you, securing you placements and then risking you leave, when they have a dire need for clinical psychologists.

Not trying to bring you down. I know life's not always a straight path - I personally went through the admissions process for clinical psych in US, UK and now Canada. So I know life is not always simple, but there might be some other options. Since you seem still unsure where you want to be in the future, have you considered living/studying in the UK for a master's (or something similar), get some connections and maybe some practical advice about practicing there and see if you want to continue with the DClinPsy? It might take a little more time, but at least it will give you the clarity you need instead of doing a degree and then in the middle of it finding out you want to return to the US and start everything all over. Just my two cents though. Best of luck, whatever you choose!

Reactions: 1 users
There have been a plethora of threads over the years about seeking doctoral training outside of the USA. The overwhelming (near universal?) agreement that if there is any chance you want to practice in the USA, then go to a US-based program. If you are 100% certain you only want to practice abroad, then consider int'l training. The requirements for the USA (and Canada) are some of the highest and most rigid. It's not recommended nor realistic to just wing it.....so plz consider your choices fully up front.

*edit....fixed a spelling error*

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users