Advice Needed: Leave of Absence for incoming 4TH YEAR? /

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeepCalm11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that before I begin , I will get a lot of comments saying I am not competitive, go to FM, etc. I understand. I appreciate the thought. I know my school also thinks that i'm being unrealistic etc.

Female in 30s. URM type. Interesting life story of overcoming hardships, etc. Engineering at prestigious undergrad, was a TFA secondary school teacher prior to a DO school.

Pretty on DR, but know that it will be a choppy path. Hometown has 4 radiology programs in its vicinity, 3 academic, 1 community.

--
Didn't do great in med school, bottom quartile. Took a LOA btw 2nd and 3rd year of med school in order to hone in and work on my weak content areas. Im strong in that now, did 25,000 anki cards during that time, et.c

Clinical grades have been high-end of average, good performance so very close to Honoring.

Just finishing 3rd year. (6 weeks left)
I haven't taken Step 1 yet and it also means no audition rotation for me.

Option 1:
Don't take any LOA, take some easy online 4th year fall electives and take Step 1 by Nov/Dec latest.
Spring 2022: School's radiology elective with an outstanding faculty, and then apply audition rotation and 1 MICU rotation too (for good LOR)
Graduate, take Step2 in the summer (at DO school so step2 isn't required for grad )
apply boardly in Fall 2022.

Option 2:
Take LOA in Fall, it's likely that my school will require me to take an entire year (so Im not off cycle) but I will ask anyways.
So take LOA: take step 1 in fall 2021, spring 2022: take step2, research at either of those places with radiology residencies at my school, apply for lots of away rotations in April when VSAS opens

July 2022: Start away rotations which I would have lined up with a decent / good Step 1 score
Sept 2022: Apply broadly

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you considering taking more LOA? Especially after a full year of LOA already. IMO take Step 1 as soon as you can do well on it, otherwise you can't gauge your competitiveness. And I'm confused by your timeline, are you a rising 4th year and planning on applying next cycle? Kind of a lot to unpack here.

I think taking another year LOA would hurt more than help. I don't know how that would go over in interviews unless you had a good reason. If you took a year off to work on your weak areas in years 1-2, you should be in good shape for step 1 regardless.