Advice Needed for Undergraduate Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S.W.Q.Q

Reaction score
Hello Forum!

I am an incoming third year undergraduate student looking for some advice. I have just decided that I want to go into optometry, as it's practices and values are both things I really admire. Not to mention, I've been talking on and off with my optometrist lately and that has really helped put things into perspective.

The problem is, then, that I don't really know where to start. I may be able to take my OAT by next summer, but is that advisable if I don't decide to apply until the year after? Also, I have some hours as a hospital volunteer, and I have a pharmacy technician license, but are my hours as a pharm tech useless if I choose to go down the Pre-Opt path? I may also be doing research this year (I'm waiting for a confirmation), so would the above all suffice for extracurriculars? I'm not sure if I can get a job or shadowing hours in an optometry office as there are not many optometry positions open near my school.

If anything, would it be advisable for me to take a gap year to work in an optometry office, or is it still possible for me to enter an optometry school traditionally without the gap year?

Thank you all so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the pre-optometry life!

We can start off with the situation of you entering optometry school without taking a gap, meaning you go straight from senior year of undergraduate, right into optometry school.

You would take your OAT anywhere from the end of your junior year (Spring Semester) up until December of your Fall semester senior year, to have your scores and application be considered early on in the cycle. I took my OAT the summer entering my senior year and I studied for about 2-3 months. Most students study anywhere from 2-3 months on average, depending on your knowledge and exposure to the material. If you are a science major, then this should be no problem as you've been exposed to the material multiple times. Keep in mind there is a 90-day bar for the OAT so if you don't do so well the first time, you won't be able to take it again for 3 months and this may influence when you will be able to apply

Also, depending on your major, check with the potential schools you want to apply to and what they require for pre-requisites. You should actually do this fairly soon so you know if you need to take any extra classes within the next 3 semesters you have in undergraduate (Spring, and then Fall/Spring.)

Now what if you take a gap?

If you take a gap, then you can take your OAT around the same time frame but instead of next summer, you take it the summer after you graduate.

From what you've described as your extracurriculars, your pharmacy tech hours will not go to waste. There are very valuable skills you can obtain such as exposure to working with patients (checking PAs, explaining medication, etc.) You can use it as a strength on your application. You can even make a talking point about why you're not doing pre-pharmacy even though you've worked as a pharmacy tech! Research is also an interesting talking point and hospital volunteer work is always welcome.

Whether you take a gap year or if you decide to go straight into it, I would start shadowing as soon as you get an opportunity. Most schools state that they need 20+ minimum but you should always try to strive for more if you can get it. If you can't get a job working in an optometry office, then simply start with shadowing. You don't have to get a job in the industry for it to count. You can continue working as a pharmacy tech while shadowing an O.D. once or twice a week for 2-3 hours at a time for a couple weeks-months. Try and start off by writing out a letter expressing your interest for shadowing and you can mail/email but it is best to go straight to the office and give it in person to give a good impression. Do this for a couple of places since not all ODs allow for shadowing.

Whatever you decide to do, best luck to you! I would first start off by seeing what pre-requisites you have already done to make sure you have time to take the remaining classes. If you end up needing too many that you won't be able to accomplish by the time you graduate, think about a gap or summer courses.

Reactions: 1 user