Advice? Jobs before Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JQuest55

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been doing a lot of research about getting accepted into optometry school, but there's one thing I can't find more information on. I just graduated college with a degree in math. However, I've taken an interest in becoming an optometrist. In a few months I'll be moving to AZ with a relative and will try to find a shadowing opportunity. I also plan on going back to school to complete the other prerequisites I need. I just have a couple questions about my situation:

1) Will it look bad on my application if I complete my prerequisites after my degree? I graduated with a 3.78 GPA.
2) Are there certain jobs I should be looking at that would make my application more competitive? During my time in college I really only worked as a tutor and at a call center. I'm not even sure I have the qualifications to get a healthcare related job especially since I'm just barely starting the prerequisites. Or should I focus on my classes and the OAT? I plan on working full time and going to school part time. I need the biology and chemistry classes. I've completed everything else for the schools I'm looking at.

I feel a little frustrated coming into the game a little late, but I want to get the ball rolling so I can put my best foot forward when I apply to schools. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1) It wont look bad to complete prereqs after getting your degree! As long as you have them completed before starting opto school its fine. Having taken biology and chemistry will help with the OAT.
2) Working as an optometric technician/ assistant would help make you a more competitive applicant! It shows you have experience in the field and you know what you are signing up for. If you are unable to, at least have minimum 40 hours of shadowing an optometrist.
- I personally only had shadowing hours when I applied but worked as a nail tech for a few years so thats customer service experience and got into a school. Started working as an opto tech after my first acceptance and then was able to talk more about my work experience for my second school interview and got accepted as well.

1) It wont look bad to complete prereqs after getting your degree! As long as you have them completed before starting opto school its fine. Having taken biology and chemistry will help with the OAT.
2) Working as an optometric technician/ assistant would help make you a more competitive applicant! It shows you have experience in the field and you know what you are signing up for. If you are unable to, at least have minimum 40 hours of shadowing an optometrist.
- I personally only had shadowing hours when I applied but worked as a nail tech for a few years so thats customer service experience and got into a school. Started working as an opto tech after my first acceptance and then was able to talk more about my work experience for my second school interview and got accepted as well.
Thank you! That really puts my mind at ease. And just to clarify, how long between was it that you were accepted into both schools? Also, I'm guessing that you didn't have prior experience doing anything opto tech related. Did you just say that you shadowed and did that help you get the job?

Members don't see this ad :)
I g
Thank you! That really puts my mind at ease. And just to clarify, how long between was it that you were accepted into both schools? Also, I'm guessing that you didn't have prior experience doing anything opto tech related. Did you just say that you shadowed and did that help you get the job?
I submitted my app mid October and got into my first one mid November. Got invited to the second school to interview in January and got accepted a week later as well. Normally you would follow up with the school if you haven't heard back in like a month but I was lazy and was okay with attending the first school so I didn't bother but I also knew my stats were borderline to what I needed to get interviewed at the second school confidently.

As for the job, long story short lol, I wasn't actually looking for a job. The doctor just happened to need a worker and found my information from when I asked to shadow a while back and called me to offer me it lol so I took the job. I did get interviewed as if it was any job though too. If you were looking to work as a opto tech I would let them know that you are a student looking for more opto experience! Not just doing it for money. I would also include that you have shadowing hours (or plan on getting some) and that you want more hands-on experience to help you learn more about the field. In most places you don't need prior opto experience because you would usually have to go through some type of training anyways. This was so long haha but the last thing is where you shadow, maybe you could see if they're hiring too!

I also forgot to answer the second part of the original post but your GPA is awesome! I think you should just focus on the OAT and gaining more optometric experiences whether it be working or shadowing.

I g

I submitted my app mid October and got into my first one mid November. Got invited to the second school to interview in January and got accepted a week later as well. Normally you would follow up with the school if you haven't heard back in like a month but I was lazy and was okay with attending the first school so I didn't bother but I also knew my stats were borderline to what I needed to get interviewed at the second school confidently.

As for the job, long story short lol, I wasn't actually looking for a job. The doctor just happened to need a worker and found my information from when I asked to shadow a while back and called me to offer me it lol so I took the job. I did get interviewed as if it was any job though too. If you were looking to work as a opto tech I would let them know that you are a student looking for more opto experience! Not just doing it for money. I would also include that you have shadowing hours (or plan on getting some) and that you want more hands-on experience to help you learn more about the field. In most places you don't need prior opto experience because you would usually have to go through some type of training anyways. This was so long haha but the last thing is where you shadow, maybe you could see if they're hiring too!

I also forgot to answer the second part of the original post but your GPA is awesome! I think you should just focus on the OAT and gaining more optometric experiences whether it be working or shadowing.
This is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you!

Hi everyone! I've been doing a lot of research about getting accepted into optometry school, but there's one thing I can't find more information on. I just graduated college with a degree in math. However, I've taken an interest in becoming an optometrist. In a few months I'll be moving to AZ with a relative and will try to find a shadowing opportunity. I also plan on going back to school to complete the other prerequisites I need. I just have a couple questions about my situation:

1) Will it look bad on my application if I complete my prerequisites after my degree? I graduated with a 3.78 GPA.
2) Are there certain jobs I should be looking at that would make my application more competitive? During my time in college I really only worked as a tutor and at a call center. I'm not even sure I have the qualifications to get a healthcare related job especially since I'm just barely starting the prerequisites. Or should I focus on my classes and the OAT? I plan on working full time and going to school part time. I need the biology and chemistry classes. I've completed everything else for the schools I'm looking at.

I feel a little frustrated coming into the game a little late, but I want to get the ball rolling so I can put my best foot forward when I apply to schools. Thank you!
So I have had the same experience. I wasn’t a biology or neuroscience major either. So i had to take some class post grad and also study for the OAT. I was working full time and a part time student. Studying for the OAT was hard while working because I work in a doctors office so it was hard to find quiet time during work and after work I had homework for classes and lectures. It was definitely harder for me to study for school, work and study for the OAT all at the same time. I had to take some math classes and am now finishing up microbiology. Now if you’re taking chem, bio and those courses that should definitely help your studying for the OAT which is a plus! Don’t be too hard on yourself or burn yourself out. Working as a technician in an optometrists office or ophthalmologist office will definitely give you more insight on the job and also teach you a lot of patient management skills and in general about the eyes and much more. Let me know if you have any questions about working, studying for school and the OAT all at the same time! I’d be happy to chat!

So I have had the same experience. I wasn’t a biology or neuroscience major either. So i had to take some class post grad and also study for the OAT. I was working full time and a part time student. Studying for the OAT was hard while working because I work in a doctors office so it was hard to find quiet time during work and after work I had homework for classes and lectures. It was definitely harder for me to study for school, work and study for the OAT all at the same time. I had to take some math classes and am now finishing up microbiology. Now if you’re taking chem, bio and those courses that should definitely help your studying for the OAT which is a plus! Don’t be too hard on yourself or burn yourself out. Working as a technician in an optometrists office or ophthalmologist office will definitely give you more insight on the job and also teach you a lot of patient management skills and in general about the eyes and much more. Let me know if you have any questions about working, studying for school and the OAT all at the same time! I’d be happy to chat!
Thank you! I'll be fortunate enough to be staying with relatives and I'll be able to work part time while going to school to complete the classes I need. I think my biggest concern is trying to find a technician position when I have no experience.

Reactions: 1 user