Advice/Input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted925364

Hello everyone, I am currently finishing up my sophomore year in CUNY Brooklyn College
I intend on going to medical school to become a pediatrician, I have always been in love with the medical field and coming from a big family were there was always little ones running around I always loved children. Wanted to be able to mix both of my favorite things together to have a profession I can enjoy and to help out the little ones.

In high school I took a science research class that was affiliated with SUNY Albany and got an A- in that. I also performed at a symposium with my research project. My school considers it to be a Biology elective, so I am not so sure if that will weigh in on my Science GPA and how Med Schools would look at it.

I kind of got off to a rough start in college I currently have a 3.1 GPA, the semester is not over yet it could possibly go down this semester.

I took Chem 1100 and was advised by my advisor that I could take an F and it retake the class and the F would disappear, I did not know any better. I retook it and got a C+
I took Calc 1 that same semester and I withdrew and retook and got a B- I was getting adjusted to college and the transition was kind of hard on me.
I took Precalc A and got a B
Also took Precalc B and got an A-

I am currently taking General Biology 1, Intro to Psych, and General Physics 1

I'm in pretty good shape for Physics 1 looking at a B or higher, fingers crossed
For Bio 1 and Psych I am on the boarder of B-/C+ I did not put my best foot forward these two years, and took it as a joke. Going onto my Junior year now I am really willing to do what it takes. I really want to purse and accomplish my dream.

I have been balancing two jobs throughout my college career, and have been financially disadvantaged, as well as I am the first generation college student in my family (my med school advisor told me its good to mention that on my applications.)

So far I have worked at a home care office and have done visitations with the nurse to go and check in with the patients. I am volunteering this summer in Maimonides Medical Center in the Pediatric center (not sure what specific part though) I hope to meet a doctor that will allow me to shadow him. I intend on applying and joining a research project, and I am planning on joining my schools EMS team.

I still have to take majority of my science classes and pre-req classes.

I also plan on taking 1-2 more additional MCAT recommended courses.

What I am asking is do I still have a good chance, and is there any advice you guys can give to help make me a stronger applicant? Any classes I should take, retake any classes, clubs, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm just a fellow applicant too, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Here is some wisdom I've learned from lurking and advice given to myself from those with more experience. You are in a very tough situation. You need to show a huge improvement in your grades these next 2 years. Is there any way you can cut back on some work hours so that you can focus on school? Do your best in classes the first time through this time. Retaking so many classes is definitely not good. You know you messed up these past 2 years like you said, so step up and work hard now. No more excuses.

Maybe you could just focus on school while working just enough to keep yourself financially afloat? I don't know how urgent your situation is, but have you considered taking gap years to work on your ECs instead of while you're in school? It just sounds to me that you're burning yourself out by juggling too many different things all at the same time which I know it's something all us premeds gotta do (Grades, required ECs, job, etc.).

I know you are a URM and financially disadvantaged, but the GPA I feel is still a bit low. Maybe work hard and aim for a 3.4ish or higher with an upward trend? Also it's very hard to say what your chances are until we get your overall profile and definitely your MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm just a fellow applicant too, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Here is some wisdom I've learned from lurking and advice given to myself from those with more experience. You are in a very tough situation. You need to show a huge improvement in your grades these next 2 years. Is there any way you can cut back on some work hours so that you can focus on school? Do your best in classes the first time through this time. Retaking so many classes is definitely not good. You know you messed up these past 2 years like you said, so step up and work hard now. No more excuses.

Maybe you could just focus on school while working just enough to keep yourself financially afloat? I don't know how urgent your situation is, but have you considered taking gap years to work on your ECs instead of while you're in school? It just sounds to me that you're burning yourself out by juggling too many different things all at the same time which I know it's something all us premeds gotta do (Grades, required ECs, job, etc.).

I know you are a URM and financially disadvantaged, but the GPA I feel is still a bit low. Maybe work hard and aim for a 3.4ish or higher with an upward trend? Also it's very hard to say what your chances are until we get your overall profile and definitely your MCAT score.
What is an EC? And is there still hope for me? I know I messed up but I want to improve, I still have to take Bio 2 and Chem 2, and Orgo, I also intend on taking abnormal psych to better prove myself?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is an EC? And is there still hope for me? I know I messed up but I want to improve, I still have to take Bio 2 and Chem 2, and Orgo, I also intend on taking abnormal psych to better prove myself?

EC is extracurricular activities. It's just that you have to work really hard to do well in your classes. You're financially disadvantaged, so GPA and MCAT is more lenient I've heard. To what extent, I'm unsure so I'll leave that to someone else who has more wisdom. If working while in school is absolutely needed, I really recommend cutting back hours as much as possible so you can focus more on your classes. Take time off after graduating to get yourself financially stable, work on EC, and get a great MCAT score and you should be good.

Last edited:
EC is extracurricular activities. It's just that you have to work really hard to do well in your classes. You're an URM and financially disadvantaged, so GPA and MCAT is more lenient I've heard. To what extent, I'm unsure so I'll leave that to someone else who has more wisdom. If working while in school is absolutely needed, I really recommend cutting back hours as much as possible so you can focus more on your classes. Take time off after graduating to get yourself financially stable, work on EC, and get a great MCAT score and you should be good.
Can you define URM so I can understand better? Also I am going to try and get better grades now and so forth. Gonna try and put my best foot these next two years. Might consider a 5th since my school would pay to study for MCAT, get more experience and possibly take more classes? What do you think? And what do you think about DO schools?

Can you define URM so I can understand better? Also I am going to try and get better grades now and so forth. Gonna try and put my best foot these next two years. Might consider a 5th since my school would pay to study for MCAT, get more experience and possibly take more classes? What do you think? And what do you think about DO schools?

I apologize, I was reading multiple threads and mistakenly thought you said you were URM as well. You can disregard that. URM is under represented minority (so african american, native american, hispanic, etc.).

Just take the classes that you need to fulfill the pre-reqs for medical school whether it's for MD or DO (Both are good paths and you'll be a physician) and make sure to do well in those classes. Like I said before, would you be able to balance school, getting more experience, your job, and do well on the MCAT too? That is why I suggested you take a gap year after you graduate to focus on the experiences, studying for the MCAT, etc.

I apologize, I was reading multiple threads and mistakenly thought you said you were URM as well. You can disregard that. URM is under represented minority (so african american, native american, hispanic, etc.).

Just take the classes that you need to fulfill the pre-reqs for medical school whether it's for MD or DO (Both are good paths and you'll be a physician) and make sure to do well in those classes. Like I said before, would you be able to balance school, getting more experience, your job, and do well on the MCAT too? That is why I suggested you take a gap year after you graduate to focus on the experiences, studying for the MCAT, etc.
You think a 5th year would be a good option or no?

Do what you can to get your GPA at 3.3 or higher.
Apply D. O.
Quit a job and take out a loan for more time to focus on studies. Sometimes you need to devote more energy towards your goals.
Bust your ass for the MCAT