Advice/Help (Mental Health, Considering Quitting)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlytherinVetling

Reaction score
I’m a 3rd year veterinary student and will be going into final year as long as I pass my upcoming final exams.

I've been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder for a while and was getting through vet school with it previous years. But in addition to that I just got diagnosed with depression a few weeks ago, and have really slacked on my studying this entire semester I think as a result of the depression. I’m no where near prepared for exams which start next week and am worried I’m going to fail them all. I’m still having trouble getting motivated and its a struggle to even get out of bed most days.

I’m seriously considering just dropping out of vet school all together even though this is the only career I’ve ever wanted and used to enjoy. I just feel so defeated and done and want to do nothing and not exist. But at the same time if I quit now I’m going to feel like such a failure and be an embarrassment to myself and my family especially with how close I am to being done and the amount of debt I’ve gone into for this degree.

I just don’t know what to do or how to study in the limited time I have left to actually make it through this semester and onto clinical rotations next year.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this- vet school is hard enough even without adding mental health problems on top of it.
Does your school provide any sort of mental health resources? Counselors, psychiatrists? Here we do have free counselling services (there's a wait, but with a referral you get bumped to the top of the waiting list) & a psychiatrist through the student health services, I would imagine most other schools would have something similar?
If you do ultimately decide to leave vet school, there's no shame in it. You have to make the choice that's best for you and your own health.

And just know that you're not alone. I'm a 3rd year vet heading into finals, too, and have an anxiety disorder & bipolar I. This past semester has been rough AF (depression, mixed episodes, self-harm, suicide attempt, etc.), and honestly I heavily considered dropping out, too (ultimately decided against it).

I'd just strongly recommend seeking treatment & giving it a chance before deciding whether or not to withdraw. It can take time (and experimenting with different meds), but it is possible to get better. If you have any friends you feel comfortable opening up to, it may help, too. (I don't, and it sucks tbh- don't be like me lol.)

Good luck in whatever choices you make.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely try to get the help you need first and foremost. Your safety is far more important than vet school. Whether that's through the school's counselor/mental health department, or through your own personal doctor, take care of you.

As far as school, you could also consider medical deferral if your school will allow it. Give yourself time to find what works for you before jumping into clinics while simultaneously staying in school.

Reactions: 1 users