Advice from Prof for Applicants to PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Your expertise would be much appreciated:

I have two LOR writers that I've basically decided on:
-My PI at my RAship--full-time researcher in different focus area of the same general subfield. Pretty profilic. I've published with her, written large accepted grants with her, etc. Likely a very research and writing ability heavy LOR. Worked with her since December.

-My Honors Thesis advisor--full-time researcher in the same general subfield. He's advising my thesis (of course), and I'm also working with him on another project and taking a class him this semester. Very profilic, pretty well-known. Likely, a very research and writing heavy LOR. Worked with him since January.

My two choices for the third are:
-My Co-I (I'm the PI) on a research project directly related to my area of interest. Junior faculty at another university but fairly prolific considering her "youth" in the field. I've known her since May. Likely a very research and writing ability heavy LOR.

-My teaching supervior: A full professor at my university. Supervises me for a process/discussion seminar I run. I've also taken a class from him and done well (A), but it was a large-ish lecture. I work in his lab, and he's on my thesis committee, but he doesn't "know" me as a researcher as well as my other recommenders. Likely a more teaching/personal LOR. Known him since last September.

1) How important is it to have a LOR from a professor who has taught you in the past v. one who knows your research abilities well?

2) How important is "balance" in LORs? I'm applying to mostly balanced programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Your expertise would be much appreciated:

I have two LOR writers that I've basically decided on:
-My PI at my RAship--full-time researcher in different focus area of the same general subfield. Pretty profilic. I've published with her, written large accepted grants with her, etc. Likely a very research and writing ability heavy LOR. Worked with her since December.

-My Honors Thesis advisor--full-time researcher in the same general subfield. He's advising my thesis (of course), and I'm also working with him on another project and taking a class him this semester. Very profilic, pretty well-known. Likely, a very research and writing heavy LOR. Worked with him since January.

My two choices for the third are:
-My Co-I (I'm the PI) on a research project directly related to my area of interest. Junior faculty at another university but fairly prolific considering her "youth" in the field. I've known her since May. Likely a very research and writing ability heavy LOR.

-My teaching supervior: A full professor at my university. Supervises me for a process/discussion seminar I run. I've also taken a class from him and done well (A), but it was a large-ish lecture. I work in his lab, and he's on my thesis committee, but he doesn't "know" me as a researcher as well as my other recommenders. Likely a more teaching/personal LOR. Known him since last September.

1) How important is it to have a LOR from a professor who has taught you in the past v. one who knows your research abilities well?

2) How important is "balance" in LORs? I'm applying to mostly balanced programs.

Thanks!

Sounds like you'll be in great shape with either one you pick! Not sure that the balance issue is that important if they are likely to be equally strong. If you sent in 4 letters, it also would be fine.

I'm going to resist the urge to post my stats/experiences and ask you to tell me my chances of getting in...

My question is more general. I have been emailing POIs at the programs I am applying to. I have received favorable emails back from all of them. Most of them said things like "it seems we are a good match", "I encourage you to apply", "I will be certain to look at your application". They also usually commented on how impressive my CV is and said I was a very competitive candidate. Some POIs even told me about specific research projects that they are working on that they are looking for someone with my specific skills. A few of these emails have turned into a little further correspondence (and one phone conversation), but most of them have been just the one email.

I guess what I'm wondering is if these types of emails are typical "stock" emails professors respond with, or if I should be taking these responses as a good sign that I will get at least some interviews (side note: my GRE scores are on the lower end, but within range of every school, and my GPA is higher than the average for most of the schools).

Thank you so much!! This is a great service you are providing--I couldn't find this information anywhere else on the internet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Something I learned in my own app process is don't take anything they say to heart until you are actually admitted. I mean, I'd say that's a good sign, but don't get your hopes up.

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was the "ask the DCT" thread. But maybe my answer will be helpful :D

I'm going to resist the urge to post my stats/experiences and ask you to tell me my chances of getting in...

My question is more general. I have been emailing POIs at the programs I am applying to. I have received favorable emails back from all of them. Most of them said things like "it seems we are a good match", "I encourage you to apply", "I will be certain to look at your application". They also usually commented on how impressive my CV is and said I was a very competitive candidate. Some POIs even told me about specific research projects that they are working on that they are looking for someone with my specific skills. A few of these emails have turned into a little further correspondence (and one phone conversation), but most of them have been just the one email.

I guess what I'm wondering is if these types of emails are typical "stock" emails professors respond with, or if I should be taking these responses as a good sign that I will get at least some interviews (side note: my GRE scores are on the lower end, but within range of every school, and my GPA is higher than the average for most of the schools).

Thank you so much!! This is a great service you are providing--I couldn't find this information anywhere else on the internet!

.. I haven't e-mailed any of the professors at the schools I'm applying to yet- I've been so preoccupied with GREs I haven't really thought that far ahead yet! :(
What did you say? What 'should' be said in these e-mails??

THANK YOU!

These are indeed very good signs!! Good luck!

These are indeed very good signs!! Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response! Just a few follow up questions...

You've cautioned against talking about only one POI in the PS. However, if I have received favorable responses like this from each of them, is it ok to just discuss that one professor in my PS?

Also, you have cautioned against proposing specific research projects in the PS. If I have discussed my project ideas with the POI and they have liked the idea, is it ok to include it in the PS?

If I have been in contact with a POI, particularly the ones that turned into more a of a conversation than just the one email, is it a good idea to discuss these interactions in my PS? For example, "In my correspondence via email and telephone with Professor X, I have learned about the Y Lab and some current projects that fit well with my experience and research interests..."

Thanks!!

Thanks for the quick response! Just a few follow up questions...

You've cautioned against talking about only one POI in the PS. However, if I have received favorable responses like this from each of them, is it ok to just discuss that one professor in my PS?

I don't remember strongly cautioning against doing so. If you are sure that you are a match for one professor, it is certainly OK to mention only them.

Also, you have cautioned against proposing specific research projects in the PS. If I have discussed my project ideas with the POI and they have liked the idea, is it ok to include it in the PS?

Again, don't remember this. Sure - talk about your research ideas, but keep in mind that you may come up with new ideas once you get into grad school, so don't paint yourself into a corner

If I have been in contact with a POI, particularly the ones that turned into more a of a conversation than just the one email, is it a good idea to discuss these interactions in my PS? For example, "In my correspondence via email and telephone with Professor X, I have learned about the Y Lab and some current projects that fit well with my experience and research interests..."

sure, that's OK.

Thanks!!

When doing research at my university we have three options: take it for a grade/ take it pass no pass but still get units/ volunteer.
I started research freshman year and I think I will amass too many units if I keep taking it for units/ a grade. Does it look bad to just volunteer?
Also I've been working and haven't really gotten involved in my school other than research/ an honors program. Do clubs, etc matter?
Thank you so much!

When doing research at my university we have three options: take it for a grade/ take it pass no pass but still get units/ volunteer.
I started research freshman year and I think I will amass too many units if I keep taking it for units/ a grade. Does it look bad to just volunteer?
Also I've been working and haven't really gotten involved in my school other than research/ an honors program. Do clubs, etc matter?
Thank you so much!

Why is it a problem to amass too many units? I was an overachiever and took a zillion classes, so I ended up with 198 credits in 4 years for my undergraduate. It doesn't seem to be a problem with anyone...My two cents says to take them for credit as pass/no pass. To me, that would show that you're serious about it but also allow you not to stress as much about how it's affecting your GPA and focus more on the research itself.

Extracurricular stuff is a bonus but far less important than research and academics in terms of getting in. That said, in order to be a well-rounded person in general, it wouldn't be a bad idea to find at least one or two things to get involved in.

ETA: Sorry, just realized this was the Ask a Prof post. Doh!

Why is it a problem to amass too many units?

I have a lot of required classes I have to take because I am double majoring and all the GE's. The 180 I have to take to graduate are pretty much accounted for by my requirements. There is also a 200 unit enrollment limit, meaning by that time you should have everything completed and graduate. But if I take research for units (which I already will have enough of) That will be 20 to 30 extra units.

I am just wondering if it looks more impressive or that an applicant takes it more seriously when they take it for units because they had to "pass" it and it shows how much time was spent each week.

Thank you so much!

Doesn't matter at all if the research experience counts for credits/grade. The experience is more important than the credit you get for it.

Extracurriculars do not matter too much, no.

So when I am applying to schools there will a place to list and discribe all experience?
And one last question... how are pass/ no pass grades looked at in general? Is it okay to have a few, as long as they are unrelated to psych?

Members don't see this ad :)
So when I am applying to schools there will a place to list and discribe all experience?
And one last question... how are pass/ no pass grades looked at in general? Is it okay to have a few, as long as they are unrelated to psych?

Not sure I understand your first question, but most students include a CV which documents all prior experiences

No one will care about pass/fail courses.

How do schools know which other schools you have been too? Is there any other way to find out besides the National Student Clearinghouse?

If you fail to list a school on your application, how can the school you are applying to find out, if the school you failed to list is not listed with the National Student Clearinghouse? Thank you for the help.

If you fail to list a school on your application, how can the school you are applying to find out, if the school you failed to list is not listed with the National Student Clearinghouse? Thank you for the help.

Sorry, I am not sure how this applies to PhD programs in clinical psychology. I have not heard of a Clearinghouse, and there are many individual applications for separate schools. This may not be applicable

First of all, thank you for your thoughtful responses. I am hoping you can shed some light on my dilemma...

Recently, I've begun to vacillate between pursuing a PhD in clinical psychology and going to medical school to become a psychiatrist. I've essentially dedicated the past 4 years to the PhD route: completing pre-reqs, research experience, clinical experience, strong GRE's, etc. Now, with a couple months remaining before applications are due, I've been thinking of the alternative MD. For one, it seems as though the demand for psychiatrists is greater and will continue to increase, whereas I've heard that the clinical psychologist may wither into obscurity. The prescription privileges of the psychiatrist is a huge plus. Additionally, the comparison in pay between the two professions is....well...no comparison. I don't want to sound greedy, but I expect 6 or 7 years of further education to pay off, and I want to live comfortably. One of the problems with the MD, however, is that I haven't taken the necessary chem, physics, anatomy classes nor the MCAT. And the truth is, I don't think I would be very strong or competitive in these courses. I would have to be sure that medical school is what I want before I completely change my focus. I know that some of this indecision must be a product of my anxiety about applying to grad school, but I just can't help thinking about the alternative. Any general thoughts, advice, suggestions is appreciated!

First of all, thank you for your thoughtful responses. I am hoping you can shed some light on my dilemma...

Recently, I've begun to vacillate between pursuing a PhD in clinical psychology and going to medical school to become a psychiatrist. I've essentially dedicated the past 4 years to the PhD route: completing pre-reqs, research experience, clinical experience, strong GRE's, etc. Now, with a couple months remaining before applications are due, I've been thinking of the alternative MD. For one, it seems as though the demand for psychiatrists is greater and will continue to increase, whereas I've heard that the clinical psychologist may wither into obscurity. The prescription privileges of the psychiatrist is a huge plus. Additionally, the comparison in pay between the two professions is....well...no comparison. I don't want to sound greedy, but I expect 6 or 7 years of further education to pay off, and I want to live comfortably. One of the problems with the MD, however, is that I haven't taken the necessary chem, physics, anatomy classes nor the MCAT. And the truth is, I don't think I would be very strong or competitive in these courses. I would have to be sure that medical school is what I want before I completely change my focus. I know that some of this indecision must be a product of my anxiety about applying to grad school, but I just can't help thinking about the alternative. Any general thoughts, advice, suggestions is appreciated!

The differences between psychiatry and psychology on some of these dimensions are not as large as you might think, and in some cases may actually favor psychology (i.e., pay, demand, number of years in training, amount of student loans needed to pay for education, etc). Of course, both fields are terrific and deserve consideration.

Psychiatrists need to complete a typical medical school training. Thus, if bio etc are not your strengths, it may be an issue not only for admission, but also during your 4 years of med school.

If a Clinical Psych program is requesting you include your need for financial support in the personal statement, what kind of information are they looking for? What's the best way to weave it into the essay??

If a Clinical Psych program is requesting you include your need for financial support in the personal statement, what kind of information are they looking for? What's the best way to weave it into the essay??

The grad school may have this on their standard application, but it plays no role in clinical psychology admissions, and should not be discussed in an essay

Well that's the weird thing... they ask you to include it in your personal statement:

"Describe your interest areas in clinical psychology and your career plans. Describe your strengths and weaknesses for graduate study, and your need for financial support."

Any advice?

Well that's the weird thing... they ask you to include it in your personal statement:

"Describe your interest areas in clinical psychology and your career plans. Describe your strengths and weaknesses for graduate study, and your need for financial support."

Any advice?

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with this!

2 research question, 1 demographics (I guess you can call it) question, and 1) LOR question:

1) I'm working on further editing my research for publication and plan on applying to PhD programs in Fall 2011. We're hoping to submit it to a journal early next year. However, my research, if accepted by a journal, would be a speech pathology journal (we're aiming for the Journal of Fluency Disorders). Would this seem...odd, I guess?

2) I may be quoting you wrong, but I remember a while ago reading that you said getting researched published is rare and may not be indicative of what you can do as a grad student or scholar. I did most of everything with my research; my adviser proofread it and helped to me to edit it, as well as occasionally told me how to get SPSS to work (I knew and understood all the statistical tests I needed to run and the results). What do I have to say to demonstrate what I did and what are grad schools looking for in their applicants to showcase how capable they are?

3) I'm Black and bilingual (Spanish- I'm not of Hispanic descent though). How many Black applicants and bilingual applicants does a program get in a given year? How many Black applicants are currently in your grad school program? I've seen demographics on one school, USC, which has 1 Black student and 2 Latino applicants in the entire program, as of last year.

EDIT: 4) Someone asked a question in this thread which made me realize this: I will only have one excellent LOR from a psychologist. The other 2 will most likely be from speech-language pathologists (I thought about being an SLP/Speech and Hearing Scientist before deciding on clinical psychology). Reason only one from a psychologist is because 1) I was very depressed while at school and only developed one strong relationship with a psychologist- my research adviser/stats professor, and 2) psychologists that I could have gotten good LORs from are no longer teaching at my school. How much will this hinder me?

Last edited:
2 research question, 1 demographics (I guess you can call it) question, and 1) LOR question:

1) I'm working on further editing my research for publication and plan on applying to PhD programs in Fall 2011. We're hoping to submit it to a journal early next year. However, my research, if accepted by a journal, would be a speech pathology journal (we're aiming for the Journal of Fluency Disorders). Would this seem...odd, I guess?

A publication is nice, but if it is not a contribution to the psychology literature (i.e., in a psychology journal), then this probably won't add too much to the application.

2) I may be quoting you wrong, but I remember a while ago reading that you said getting researched published is rare and may not be indicative of what you can do as a grad student or scholar. I did most of everything with my research; my adviser proofread it and helped to me to edit it, as well as occasionally told me how to get SPSS to work (I knew and understood all the statistical tests I needed to run and the results). What do I have to say to demonstrate what I did and what are grad schools looking for in their applicants to showcase how capable they are?

First authorship on the publication is a good signal that you played a primary role. Other than that, you can certainly talk about your role in your personal statement, and your advisor likely will mention in their letter that you worked with a fair amount of autonomy.

3) I'm Black and bilingual (Spanish- I'm not of Hispanic descent though). How many Black applicants and bilingual applicants does a program get in a given year? How many Black applicants are currently in your grad school program? I've seen demographics on one school, USC, which has 1 Black student and 2 Latino applicants in the entire program, as of last year.

About 10-20% of applicants to graduate programs are from underrepresented ethnic minority groups. Some programs have about that percentage of ethnic minority clinical students enrolled.

EDIT: 4) Someone asked a question in this thread which made me realize this: I will only have one excellent LOR from a psychologist. The other 2 will most likely be from speech-language pathologists (I thought about being an SLP/Speech and Hearing Scientist before deciding on clinical psychology). Reason only one from a psychologist is because 1) I was very depressed while at school and only developed one strong relationship with a psychologist- my research adviser/stats professor, and 2) psychologists that I could have gotten good LORs from are no longer teaching at my school. How much will this hinder me?

I would recommend letters from psychologists who can speak to your research skills and enthusiasm for psychology. Many students take a year or two to work as a research assistant to help them get more psychology-related research experience before applying

Thank you doctor!

Now, after perusing the forums, I have another question for you:

How often are students admitted *without* working as an RA full-time?

I wasn't planning on applying to grad school until Fall 2011 (I graduated from undergrad a few years ago) because there are programs (language immersion, volunteering in mental health, teaching English) that I wanted to do in Spain first, in addition to editing my research, presenting it, and preparing for the GREs. Now I figure I should work as an RA for a year before I go teach English.

Last edited:
Thank you doctor!

Now, after perusing the forums, I have another question for you:

How often are students admitted *without* working as an RA full-time?

I wasn't planning on applying to grad school until Fall 2011 (I graduated from undergrad a few years ago) because there are programs (language immersion, volunteering in mental health, teaching English) that I wanted to do in Spain first, in addition to editing my research, presenting it, and preparing for the GREs. Now I figure I should work as an RA for a year before I go teach English.

Probably about 30-50% of incoming students at top programs have not been a full time RA first. However, it is sometimes difficult to make a case for why someone has done non-psychology related activities in their time off. It's certainly OK to do so, but the burden on the applicant becomes a little stronger to prove their case as a serious psychology researcher

However, it is sometimes difficult to make a case for why someone has done non-psychology related activities in their time off. It's certainly OK to do so, but the burden on the applicant becomes a little stronger to prove their case as a serious psychology researcher

I see. My non-psych related activities are related to the fact that I want to work with Hispanic (as well as Black) populations with my research, so I want to be fluent in the language...plus if I've always wanted to do them, so if I don't do these programs now, I'd never do them and regret it.

A couple more RA questions:

1) Do you think it's better to work with someone as an RA at a school that you do or don't want to eventually go to? I hear of people working for a couple of years at a school and not getting in, so it *appears* that it may be advantageous to work at a school that you wouldn't mind *not* ultimately going to.

2) How do applicants best approach professors they want to be an RA for? Cold calling? I went to a liberal arts college, so I don't think there are big opportunities to do RA-type work there; I could always ask my sister about the research opportunities at her school...but she goes to Harvard.

I see. My non-psych related activities are related to the fact that I want to work with Hispanic (as well as Black) populations with my research, so I want to be fluent in the language...plus if I've always wanted to do them, so if I don't do these programs now, I'd never do them and regret it.

A couple more RA questions:

1) Do you think it's better to work with someone as an RA at a school that you do or don't want to eventually go to? I hear of people working for a couple of years at a school and not getting in, so it *appears* that it may be advantageous to work at a school that you wouldn't mind *not* ultimately going to.

Some faculty will accept their RAs as students, but many do not. This varies a lot, and is based on personal preferences. The only safe thing to suggest is not to try to get a RA position in the hopes that it will be a back door way into that lab for grad school. Even among afculty who accept their RAs as grad students - it's rare

2) How do applicants best approach professors they want to be an RA for? Cold calling? I went to a liberal arts college, so I don't think there are big opportunities to do RA-type work there; I could always ask my sister about the research opportunities at her school...but she goes to Harvard.

it is common for students to send an email with questions about the availability of upcoming research positions

You are fabulous.

ONE last question for now. I need to give myself a break from thinking about grad school.

How exact do applicants' research interests and their potential advisors need to be?

Example:

At one school I'm considering, the professor I'm interested in has this as an interest:
"the influence of emerging technologies (e.g., cell phones, text messaging, blogging, emails) on self-disclosure in children and adolescents. (bolding mine)"

A personal interest of mine is:
"the influence of emerging technologies (e.g., cell phones, text messaging, blogging, emails) on self-disclosure in young adults"

Is that too different, since the populations are fundamentally different, or would it be fine? On a similar note, since I want to work with the Black and Hispanic populations (another interest), would it be too different if an advisor populations focused on Asians (assuming that what they want to study with that group is in line with what I want to study with my groups)?

You are fabulous.

ONE last question for now. I need to give myself a break from thinking about grad school.

How exact do applicants' research interests and their potential advisors need to be?

Example:

At one school I'm considering, the professor I'm interested in has this as an interest:
"the influence of emerging technologies (e.g., cell phones, text messaging, blogging, emails) on self-disclosure in children and adolescents. (bolding mine)"

A personal interest of mine is:
"the influence of emerging technologies (e.g., cell phones, text messaging, blogging, emails) on self-disclosure in young adults"

Is that too different, since the populations are fundamentally different, or would it be fine? On a similar note, since I want to work with the Black and Hispanic populations (another interest), would it be too different if an advisor populations focused on Asians (assuming that what they want to study with that group is in line with what I want to study with my groups)?

This is a tough one to answer. Most important is that you decide what kind of research you are willing to do, even if it is not a perfect match to your interests. If you are willing to work with younger populations, or other ethnic minority groups, then make a case for why you are a match. Then, state how you may like to expand that ongoing work into new areas, and if the advisor is interested in doing the same, you will be all set!

What exactly constitutes a "research match?" Does a match entail that the applicant has been involved in research directly related to the POI's line of work? Or does a "research match" simply mean that the applicant's research interests correspond to their POI?

I ask because I have obtained some substantial psychological research, however, it does not relate well with what I want to do in graduate school. Will this hinder me in my applications? I'm anxious because it is my understanding that typically a professor admits one student a year. Thus, a professor can select one from a stack of applications, and certainly some applicants with related research experience will be significantly more attractive to the POI. So does a lack of related research experience put me at a serious disadvantage?

Thank you!

What exactly constitutes a "research match?" Does a match entail that the applicant has been involved in research directly related to the POI's line of work? Or does a "research match" simply mean that the applicant's research interests correspond to their POI?

I ask because I have obtained some substantial psychological research, however, it does not relate well with what I want to do in graduate school. Will this hinder me in my applications? I'm anxious because it is my understanding that typically a professor admits one student a year. Thus, a professor can select one from a stack of applications, and certainly some applicants with related research experience will be significantly more attractive to the POI. So does a lack of related research experience put me at a serious disadvantage?

Thank you!

A match in research interests, not experience necessarily

Hello,

I have a 3.19 GPA from a first-tier school (just about any way you look at it-- Psyche, Junior and Senior year, etc.) I am writing because I've taken 24 credit hours at third tier institutions, for which I have a 4.0. Would it be fair of me to send all three transcripts, and create an "Overall GPA" number, juxaposed with my degree-issuing institution's GPA? My "Overall GPA" would be a 3.3.

Please let me know your thoughts. The last thing I want to do is seem like I'm deceiving the admissions board, but if it's fair, I think a 3.3 is significantly higher than a 3.19.

Thank you!

Hello,

I have a 3.19 GPA from a first-tier school (just about any way you look at it-- Psyche, Junior and Senior year, etc.) I am writing because I've taken 24 credit hours at third tier institutions, for which I have a 4.0. Would it be fair of me to send all three transcripts, and create an "Overall GPA" number, juxaposed with my degree-issuing institution's GPA? My "Overall GPA" would be a 3.3.

Please let me know your thoughts. The last thing I want to do is seem like I'm deceiving the admissions board, but if it's fair, I think a 3.3 is significantly higher than a 3.19.

Thank you!

No, that does not seem kosher to me.

Another quick question: what constitutes quality research experience? In other words, what would you look for in an applicant in terms of research experience? What's more important, quality or quantity? How important is it that an applicant have research experience that is relevant to what they want to pursue in graduate school? How important are publications, presentations, etc.? More generally, what does quality research experience look like?

I also wanted to quickly say thank you! This is quite a selfless contribution you are making. I think I can speak for the rest of SDN by saying that we really appreciate the advice and guidance. It is so valuable to have a mentor in this stressful and anxious time. THANKS!

Another quick question: what constitutes quality research experience? In other words, what would you look for in an applicant in terms of research experience? What's more important, quality or quantity? How important is it that an applicant have research experience that is relevant to what they want to pursue in graduate school? How important are publications, presentations, etc.? More generally, what does quality research experience look like?

Hi, please see the pages above. I think this one has been answered a couple of times, and I may not be able to be as thorough as my earlier posts above

Ok, after 22 pages of reading here is my main question. You have hit on parts of this, even as recently as yesterday, but not as a whole in this context.

1. How is combined GPA calculated? Is it total of all credits taken at all institutions attended, or just your graduating institution? I started school 10 years ago and just wasnt ready, consequently I failed out, only passing 2 classes in 2 semesters. I also have 3 semesters of technical credits from 6 years ago that have a GPA of around 3.5, but are not transferable to my current undergrad institution (I assume these are not included in CGPA at all). Since going back to school 3 years ago, my GPA, between 3 semesters at a CC and 3 semesters at a university, is 3.98, but will go down to about a 3.4 if I have to include my first 2 semesters of college, at a different institution, 10 years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Ok, after 22 pages of reading here is my main question. You have hit on parts of this, even as recently as yesterday, but not as a whole in this context.

1. How is combined GPA calculated? Is it total of all credits taken at all institutions attended, or just your graduating institution? I started school 10 years ago and just wasnt ready, consequently I failed out, only passing 2 classes in 2 semesters. I also have 3 semesters of technical credits from 6 years ago that have a GPA of around 3.5, but are not transferable to my current undergrad institution (I assume these are not included in CGPA at all). Since going back to school 3 years ago, my GPA, between 3 semesters at a CC and 3 semesters at a university, is 3.98, but will go down to about a 3.4 if I have to include my first 2 semesters of college, at a different institution, 10 years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I believe most applications will ask you to report the GPA at each institution you attended; essentially it should match the transcripts you submit. Not sure an overall GPA makes sense when it's from different schools across different years.

Thank you for the response. Just to be 100% clear:

Then do you have to submit transcripts from a college that you attended 10 years ago (that only 1 or 2 classes applied to your degree), or from an institution that none of your credits actually applied to your degree (as is the case with the non-transferable technical credits) just because you attended there, or would you recommend keeping those out, not to deceive, but because they are not really relevant?

Thank you for the response. Just to be 100% clear:

Then do you have to submit transcripts from a college that you attended 10 years ago (that only 1 or 2 classes applied to your degree), or from an institution that none of your credits actually applied to your degree (as is the case with the non-transferable technical credits) just because you attended there, or would you recommend keeping those out, not to deceive, but because they are not really relevant?

Sorry - can't answer this for sure - it's really up to whatever the graduate application requests, and this may vary by university

Hi Dr.!

I have a question regarding GRE score cancellations--how do schools typically view these as? I have taken the GRE twice a couple years ago, and came out with an ok score the second time. Recently, I retook the GRE twice again, hoping to improve my score and cancelled both times because I was concerned about getting a lower score than before. I have decided to keep my previous score (the one that was ok from a couple years ago). So my score report will read SCORE, SCORE, CANCELLATION, CANCELLATION. Will this be a major issue with my application? (if it matters, I am applying for non-clinical psychology phd programs, but would still appreciate your input from a clinical perspective).

Thank you very much in advance for your advice.

Hi Dr.!

I have a question regarding GRE score cancellations--how do schools typically view these as? I have taken the GRE twice a couple years ago, and came out with an ok score the second time. Recently, I retook the GRE twice again, hoping to improve my score and cancelled both times because I was concerned about getting a lower score than before. I have decided to keep my previous score (the one that was ok from a couple years ago). So my score report will read SCORE, SCORE, CANCELLATION, CANCELLATION. Will this be a major issue with my application? (if it matters, I am applying for non-clinical psychology phd programs, but would still appreciate your input from a clinical perspective).

Hi, I'm not the advisor, but I thought I could answer your question. Any GRE score that you cancel does not appear on the GRE score report. It will just list your actual scores, so schools will not know that you have taken the test and canceled your score.

Hi, I'm not the advisor, but I thought I could answer your question. Any GRE score that you cancel does not appear on the GRE score report. It will just list your actual scores, so schools will not know that you have taken the test and canceled your score.

Really? I know that the score that is cancelled will not show up on the report, but I thought that the report showed the date the test was taken and that the score was cancelled.

Really? I know that the score that is cancelled will not show up on the report, but I thought that the report showed the date the test was taken and that the score was cancelled.

No, it doesn't show up. I canceled one of my scores and there is nothing listing the date that I took that test or anything to hint that I took it an additional time.

No, it doesn't show up. I canceled one of my scores and there is nothing listing the date that I took that test or anything to hint that I took it an additional time.

Thanks so much for letting me know--I feel lots better now!!

Hi Dr.!

Sorry, no consistent answer on this one. I think different people may look at this in different ways. But not matter what - I doubt very highly that it would make or break an application.

How much is your Major/Minor looked at? Especially when it is relevant, like a minor in applied statistics, that shows you know how to do the statistics in research.

Status
Not open for further replies.