Advice From An Rcsi Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big-gun

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been reading these forms and I can see many people have questions about how things work at the RCSI. There have been a couple of posts praising the RCSI and a equal number crying foul. I feel the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I graduated from the RCSI in May 2005. I did VERY well academically and matched to my first choice residency program in North America. What's wrong with that? Why would I want to complain? Plain and simple, the product the RCSI sold me was a rip-off and far different from that which they advertised.

I spent 5 years and close to a quarter of a million dollars. I can speak from experience. If you are thinking of going there, here are some things you should know.

1. Cost: Yes it costs a small fortune to attend the RCSI. Furthermore, the price of living in Dublin is steep. Don't believe the hype you read on these forms - it will take a long time to pay back the debt you incur. 5 years of med school plus 5 years of residency, believe me man that debt is going to be huge. You make a lot of money as a doctor, but it also costs a lot of money to be a doctor. By the time you have paid your malpractice insurance, made a mortgage payment, paid for a car, bought a wedding ring and put your kid through school, all of a sudden that $350,000 per year doesn't seem so big and won't go very far towards your $500,000 debt. Be very suspicious of the RCSI being so cosy with the loan companies... very suspicious.

2. Matching: So you want to match to a good residency program in the USA or Canada? The RCSI has a 90% match rate... according to the RCSI. Lets take a close look at this. First of all, only about 10% of students from each year apply to the USA. Accordingly, it is a self-selecting process. Only those who are motivated make an attempt. If the entire classs were to apply, it's likely the match rate would only be around 10%. Fact: there were some American students who graduated last year and flunked their USMLEs. Accordingly they re-wrote their exams and applied to the match this year. Some of them have yet to receive interviews, despite having done electives in programs where they're applying (that's almost unheard of and usually means you don't have a hope in hell of making the grade). The RCSI trumpets a few students who matched to competetive US programs in each graduating class and sites their accomplishments as proof the RCSI is a great education. Don't believe a minute of it. Those students are responsible for their own success. Their incredibly hard work ensured their success, not the RCSI. DO you hear what I am saying? Go to Trinity, save a load of cash and accomplish the same thing.

Electives: The RCSI brags about having elective agreements with some fancy centres in the USA and RCSI students can do electives there in the summer... sort of. Indeed some RCSI students go to the Mayo, Hopkins, etc every summer. However, the Vice Dean (who shall remain nameless, but I ****ing pitty you if you ever have to deal with her) controls access to those spots and the opportunity to go to Mayo etc. isn't excatly awarded based on merit. Instead, your ability to suck up and stab your classmates in the back will be rewarded with a chance to go to Mayo. Also, you often cannot choose the subject of your elective. Instead, you go wherever the RCSI arranges. Hey, you wanna do a vascular surgery elective and the RCSI arranges a month long elective in gastroenterology(it happens alot). Congratulations, you just wasted one of your precious month long elective spots. A vascular surgeons isn't even going to read a letter from a gastroenterologist. Time and money well wasted courtesy of the RCSI!

Organisation: This has been a colossal problem for the RCSI. They could not organise a 1 horse parade. You can expect lectures, tutorials and even whole rotations to be cancelled without notice. Furthermore, changes are often made at the 11th hour - really ****ing convenient when you are trying to plan your USMLEs, electives and buy a cheap plane ticket home. I remember showing up at Temple Street hospital for my ENT rotation and no one knew we were coming. By the time they sorted it out, the rotation was over. Money well spent! I could go on for hours here, but ask anyone who has attened the RCSI about the college's organisational abilities and they will say "what organisational abilities?" This is a significant point when you consider the enormous amount of money you pay and how little effort is directed towards delivering the product you have purchased.

Accountability: Faculty from the RCSI regularly travel to exotic locations in business class and stay in 5 star hotels. Some of the staff even have clothing allowances as part of their contract. Conversely, the RCSI library did not purchase a subscription to UP TO DATE.com last year because they said it was too expensive. More expensive than 6 round trip business class tickets to Hong Kong and 6 rooms for 10 nights at the Shangri La? What about the 4 other big faculty junkets that year? How much of our money went down the tubes there? What makes this even more laughable is the fact that the rest of the RCSI library can be described at OUT OF DATE.com. Where are the priorities here? Is this education or the Irish answer to the US Republican Party. When you visit the RCSI, look around the main foyer for the pork barrel! Don't be suprised to see Jack Abramov hired on as the new Dean!

Sizzle versus steak: The RCSI prospectus and web site are pretty cool? Lots of glossy photos of sparkling facilities and high technology! I'm not sure which RCSI they are showcasing, but certainly not the one I attended! The prospectus looks great, but reality is a little different... a lot different. If you are thinking of spending $250,000 on an RCSI education, go over for a visit. Check out the student facilities at the main teaching hospital (Beaumont Hospital). 200 students in the hospital and only 50 lockers (they've had 15 years to fix this problem). The same lights burnt out in the locker room for the past 5 years. A library full of wobbly chairs and broken desks that no one has bothered to fix for 5 years. A $2000 computerised recussitation dummy to teach anesthesia, that never gets used beacuase no one in the faculty can be bothered to learn how to use it. Morever, students can't take the initiative because they are not allowed to touch it. Also, check out the lecture theatres at the main college building on St. Stephen's Green. Classes so large that people are sitting in the aisles! EURO 35,000 per year and you are sitting in the aisle! Is this the sort of place that will help you reach your goals and be responsive to your educational needs?

Preparation for Residency: Is the RCSI good preparation for residency? NO. You are given hardly any practical experience at the RCSI. You are not permitted to perform procedures and you will graduate without even acquiring the simplest practical skills such as suturing. I was aware of this and worked hard on electives to make up for what I was missing (considering what I was paying and what the RCSI promises I should not have been forced to seek out people to teach me basic skills on my own time). However, you can only remain competent in some procedures if you practice them. There is no opportunity to accrue or practice skills at the RCSI. My first rotation as a resident was in the ER. It was really tough not having done any procedures for more than a year. My North american colleagues had the procedural skills and practical experience. RCSI is a lot of theory and little practice.

Well, that's all for now buut believe me I could go on. Some people will criticise me and say I write this because I am bitter. Graduating and matching isn't all that counts. Remember to provide the best possible care, you must continue to learn, discover and expand your knowledge. RCSI does not foster an environment where you can do so. Think hard about where you want to study. You have worked very hard to get to this point. Don't believe the hype the RCSI spouts. Don't fall victim to a sales pitch. Your brains have got you this far, let them take you further still.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
whoa, that's some bad stuff you've experienced there. Have heard some not so nice stuff about RCSI (and all the other schools, for that matter) but never heard about all these. Anyone else care to share their good / bad experiences?

Thanks big-gun. The reality is that those problems aren't completely specific to RCSI, but extend to all the Irish schools. The only bad point in this regard is that RCSI spend at least 10 grand more for the privilege of this education. It's been said on these boards loads of times - You have to take the initiative and make your own medical career, and you will meet up with some of the setbacks as big-gun has stated. Also, the Irish are not good at organization and efficiency.

I won't really rehash or compare programs, but some of the things the poster has said applies to the other schools as well. However, having said that, I still value my time here and really like being here, and at my school there are at least attempts being made to make things better, and profs who're on our side as well. We also have a very pro-active class, and when you're trying to make things happen for yourself, company helps. I feel the education is good in that we come out knowing quite a lot although sometimes, I think somehow it's happened by magic.

It's also been said on these boards that clinical teaching is different from US clerkships, in that things are more observational and less hands on. That's why it's important to do US electives, or even electives apart from Ireland/UK .

Members don't see this ad :)
student.ie said:
Format for threads:
1. Sad truth about schools
2. Baseless doubt / dismissal of truth
3. Bickering
New thread - repeat

Part 2: This is an anonymous forum. You can't expect that guy to give out identifying information to prove the truth or falsehood of his view. If everyone had to post under his own name, this forum would be finished. Go ahead and dismiss the unhappy truth of his post because it helps you keep the dream alive or whatever but not because he remains anonymous.

Part 3: Nurses sometimes display surprising knowledge but frequently display a surprising lack of it. Lets not glorify or run them down too much.

My 2p... I mean cent... I mean cents.

I have no trouble with the content of the OPs initial post. Having never been to Ireland, considered Irish schools or an FMG education - I don't really care either way.

What I do care about is when big_gun starting throwing around obvious trolling insults that served no purpose except to upset/anger people on the forum. The Mods obviously agreed with this opinion as I see he has been banned.

My "calling him out" was simply b/c he seemed like a high school student rather than a resident. I didn't want a mailing address just the program name!

As for "keeping the dream alive" :laugh: I'm about to graduate from the best medical school in my country and just found out a few weeks ago that I got my top choice "residency". I'm happy (and smug) - but it has nothing to do with big_gun/RCSI/FMGs or IFEs on SDN!!!

My mention of his true post was referring to the original post, not all the crap that followed.

I'm glad you're going to your 'top choice residency'.
Nothing against you, but in general I have some doubt about this sort of claim. I mean, lets look at a made up example. USIMG from Irish school loves plastics and dreams of doing plastic surgery at UCSF or something. He applies for plastics residencies at 60 programs and to 40 general surgery and prelim surgery as a back up. Interview invitations go out and he gets 0 plastics, 3 catagorical surgery, and 6 prelim surgery interviews in Detroit, Upstate NY, Brooklyn, NJ, etc. Suddenly his 'top choice program' has switched from plastics at UCSF to gen surg at one of three categoricals who interviewed him out of 40 programs applied to. I'm just saying that top choice is a loose term.
I hope yours is really your top choice.

Reactions: 1 user
you'll notice quite a few posts deleted. I accidentally deleted them when I was trying to get rid of student.ie's replicated posts. I don't have time to undelete them all just at the moment, but I will when I get to a faster computer and have a little free time tomorrow!

Sorry about the duplicated posts. It happened when the forums were all messed up a couple of days ago and new posts weren't showing up.

student.ie said:
I'm glad you're going to your 'top choice residency'.
Nothing against you, but in general I have some doubt about this sort of claim. I hope yours is really your top choice.

Yeah. It was. You know I don't go to an Irish school right? And that I'm not US citizen? And that my medical school and residency are not in a foreign country?

I think these are key factors to have in mind before getting worried "about this kind of claim" :laugh:

All the best,

W4G

I wouldn't say I'm worried. You just reminded me of something I've thought for a while. Congrats on your successful placement.