Advice for writing personal statment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VAD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get advice for writing my AMCAS personal statement. I have heard about various approaches to the task, and I'm already struggling with writer's block in regards to what to actually include in the statement.

If anyone can answer these questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. What is the approximate word limit on the essay (electronic app.)?

2. Are there particular topics that one should be sure to cover in the essay? Ones to avoid?

3. What about the idea of having some type of creative or "unique" essay?

4. How effective/worthwhile are the companies that help you to edit your essay?

5. Are the secondary essays as difficult? Do they ask more specific questions?

Thanks in advance!

VAD
tongue.gif

Members don't see this ad.

1. What is the approximate word limit on the essay (electronic app.)?

From the AMCAS webpage: "In addition, applicants may begin drafting their "Personal Comments" or essay. Comments must be one page only. For those using AMCAS-E, the Comments may be imported as ASCII text from a word processing software program with a maximum of approximately 5300 characters or 58 lines. For those planning on using the paper application, the Comments may be in a font no smaller than 12cpi (characters per inch) or equivalent to 10pt in size. The approximate margins are as follows: Top: 1 inch; Left, Right, and Bottom: 1/2 inch". I recommend typing out the essay using microsoft word and "Courier" font because it is true-type and will transfer better onto AMCAS-E.

2. Are there particular topics that one should be sure to cover in the essay? Ones to avoid?

Aim to write positive things. ie, if your grades are poor because of illness or you didn't perform too well your freshman year, DON'T DWELL ON THE REASONS WHY. be consise as you can in your explanatio and move on to tell them HOW YOU HAVE IMPROVED AND WHAT YOU LEARNED FROM THAT EXPERIENCE.

3. What about the idea of having some type of creative or "unique" essay?

That is fine as long as that really shows who "you" are, not who you think may interest the adcom. If you are a very skillful and creative writer, by all means, go for it! But do have your premed advisor look it over to be sure that it is not *too different.*

4. How effective/worthwhile are the companies that help you to edit your essay?

I honestly don't think you need them. The essay is YOUR product. It's supposed to tell the adcoms about YOU. I'd rather save the money and let a friend proofread/edit your essay for you. In fact, since the friend knows you personally, he/she may be able to let you know if your essay really reflects who you are.

5. Are the secondary essays as difficult? Do they ask more specific questions?

They are annoying as heck... but they do give you the chance to fill in the gaps that the AMCAS didn't give you enough space to fill.

Go to Accepted.com to get an idea of some good essays and som bad ones....

Hope this helps! Good luck...

smile.gif
carolyn

Hi VAD,
I think carolyn answered most of your questions so I'll just elaborate on a few of your questions. As far as creative/unique essays go, I would advise against it if you're not a superb writer. Sometimes your intended effect does not come through as clearly as you may be envisioned it. Your best bet is to have as many people read your essay as possible, whatever approach you choose in the end.

The one point that I really want to emphasize is to read several personal statements, either your friends' essays or those available on the internet (doing this might help you with your writer's block) and identify which essays you like and why. Once you start reading three or four essays, you will automatically sympathize with how ad com members must feel in sorting through thousands of essays. When I read several essays last year, I noticed that the best statements were the ones that focused on one central experience/incident and described the experience vividly. I know that the temptation to include all of your many accomplishments is great, but I think this approach leads to a rather scattered essay. Rest assured that you will have more than enough opportunity to expound on your many experiences in the secondary essay.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

In regards to the creativeness of the personal statements.....

I wrote three personal statements for each of my three AMCAS. My first one was a formula one, I can't even remember what I wrote. My second one talked about the death of a dear friend. In retrospect, I don't like it.

I went to St George's in Grenada, the West Indies and St Vincent & the Grenadines for two years. For my third AMCAS personal statement, I created two excerpts from a fictitious journal, one excerpt was taken from the pessimistic first day I arrived in Grenada (I have the dates and dorm number listed too). The second excerpt was from the optimistic and triumphant last day of my Caribbean stay (This entry was fictitiously written on a flight from St Vincent to San Juan, Puerto Rico, I included the flight number for accuracy's sake). The body of the text describes the transition from a sulking doomed spoiled brat about to throw in the towel and forget about medicine, to a matured and appreciative adult who made the best of his surroundings and took the opportunity to experience life in a third world developing nation.