Advice for waitlist at 2 TX schools: IS, URM, 3.9 GPA, 500 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThunderDog

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone seen or had experience with someone with my similar stats?

3.9 GPA
500 MCAT
64.4 LizzyM
URM

I interviewed at Houston and Lubbock back in October-November of 2016. I believe my interviews went exceptionally well as we connected pretty easily, but that could just be from my perspective. I sent a letter of intent to Lubbock earlier this year and I have been placed onto their unranked alternate pool. I still have the whole month of June to hear back, but I thought it would be nice to receive some feedback.

I have thought about waiting to re-apply until Summer 2018 to really dedicate time to improving my MCAT score since that is probably killing my chances of going to medical school. I completed my application in September of 2016, so I am thinking if I am complete earlier then I will have a better chance of being invited to more schools.

Also, I have thought of buffing up my application by learning some new languages like Spanish or ASL, or becoming a MRI technician.

What do y'all think? Thank you in advance for your time and input!

Members don't see this ad.

3.9 GPA
500 MCAT
64.4 LizzyM
URM

I interviewed at Houston and Lubbock back in October-November of 2016. I believe my interviews went exceptionally well as we connected pretty easily, but that could just be from my perspective. I sent a letter of intent to Lubbock earlier this year and I have been placed onto their unranked alternate pool. I still have the whole month of June to hear back, but I thought it would be nice to receive some feedback.

I have thought about waiting to re-apply until Summer 2018 to really dedicate time to improving my MCAT score since that is probably killing my chances of going to medical school. I completed my application in September of 2016, so I am thinking if I am complete earlier then I will have a better chance of being invited to more schools.

Also, I have thought of buffing up my application by learning some new languages like Spanish or ASL, or becoming a MRI technician.

While your GPA is phenomenal, your MCAT is abysmally low for all Texas schools. As long as you have decent EC's you sould spend your time studying to knock the MCAT out of the park. With a good MCAT (513+), good EC's, and good LOR's you should be golden the next cycle you apply.

And of course, APPLY EARLY!! Because you're taking a gap year you should apply by May 1, and have your secondaries sent in by the end of May at the latest.

In summary:
1. Increase the MCAT substantially, this is the biggest flaw in your application
2. Submit your primary and secondaries very early, this was your second flaw
3. Make sure to continue your EC's. Years of involvement looks very good to adcoms
4. Also get good LOR's, and have others read your PS and essays

Doing those four things will virtually guarantee you an acceptance next cycle. Good luck OP.

Reactions: 1 user

3.9 GPA
500 MCAT
64.4 LizzyM
URM

There's still a chance for you to get in off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
While your GPA is phenomenal, your MCAT is abysmally low for all Texas schools. As long as you have decent EC's you sould spend your time studying to knock the MCAT out of the park. With a good MCAT (513+), good EC's, and good LOR's you should be golden the next cycle you apply.

And of course, APPLY EARLY!! Because you're taking a gap year you should apply by May 1, and have your secondaries sent in by the end of May at the latest.

In summary:
1. Increase the MCAT substantially, this is the biggest flaw in your application
2. Submit your primary and secondaries very early, this was your second flaw
3. Make sure to continue your EC's. Years of involvement looks very good to adcoms
4. Also get good LOR's, and have others read your PS and essays

Doing those four things will virtually guarantee you an acceptance next cycle. Good luck OP.

Thank you so much for your input! I was very involved in three organizations during college, I was even a president of a national fraternity! Right now, I am working at a pathology lab as a technician so that is how I am spending my time! Thank you again for your input!

There's still a chance for you to get in off the waitlist.

Thank you for the confidence boost! :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your input! I was very involved in three organizations during college, I was even a president of a national fraternity! So, that's mainly my EC's. Right now, I am working at a pathology lab as a technician so that is how I am spending my time! Thank you again for your input!

Thank you for the confidence boost! :)
Nice EC's
You have all the pieces in place, now all you need is a great MCAT to really make your application shine!

Based on my results you'll need at least a 506 without anything below the 55% to matriculate, but with a 500 with a 3.9 you could still get off of a waitlist. UTHSC schools love a high GPA more than MCAT.

What kind of URM? I had three interviews in Texas and all together six interviews out of state. If you unfortunately end up having to reapply consider some out of state schools, like MN or VT.

Not to sound flippant, but did you do all of the essays. This time around, I think that helped me get accepted. I could send you my mdapps if you want it. It's better to plan out a new cycle than wait for a waitlist.

Based on my results you'll need at least a 506 without anything below the 55% to matriculate, but with a 500 with a 3.9 you could still get off of a waitlist. UTHSC schools love a high GPA more than MCAT.

What kind of URM? I had three interviews in Texas and all together six interviews out of state. If you unfortunately end up having to reapply consider some out of state schools, like MN or VT.

Not to sound flippant, but did you do all of the essays. This time around, I think that helped me get accepted. I could send you my mdapps if you want it. It's better to plan out a new cycle than wait for a waitlist.

Half black and half white. Unfortunately, out of state schools are not an option for me since the tuition would be too high and a Texas resident is at a disadvantage when applying out of state (from what I have heard).

I did do all of the essays and I believe I did pretty satisfactory on them. I mean there must have been something the schools liked if they still interviewed me with a low MCAT score, right? haha

Half black and half white. Unfortunately, out of state schools are not an option for me since the tuition would be too high and a Texas resident is at a disadvantage when applying out of state (from what I have heard).

I did do all of the essays and I believe I did pretty satisfactory on them. I mean there must have been something the schools liked if they still interviewed me with a low MCAT score, right? haha
With a 3.9 and 500 Black URM, a careful oos school MD lists and all the TMDSAS schools I would like to think you would have been accepted somewhere.

Of course Texas tuition is cheap but its medical school, you go where you can get in. There's loans to cover everything. You could've at least applied to the HBCU's.

Did you apply to DO schools as well?

With a 3.9 and 500 Black URM, a careful oos school MD lists and all the TMDSAS schools I would like to think you would have been accepted somewhere.

Of course Texas tuition is cheap but its medical school, you go where you can get in. There's loans to cover everything. You could've at least applied to the HBCU's.

I applied to UNT-TCOM and was interviewed in November of 2016. I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected. I think it was because I did not complete any DO shadowing and they might have believed that I wanted to go the MD route.

What are HBCU's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Historically black colleges - Meharry, Morehouse, and Howard.

How early, or late, did you submit you application and when were you complete by?

I finished my application mid-May of 2016. However, I chose to retake my MCAT.

First MCAT: May 2016- 493
Second MCAT: July 2016-500 (only one month of studying since I got my first scores back in June)

So, I got my scores back in August and was officially complete late August 2016.

I finished my application mid-May of 2016. However, I chose to retake my MCAT.

First MCAT: May 2016- 493
Second MCAT: July 2016-500 (only one month of studying since I got my first scores back in June)

So, I got my scores back in August and was officially complete late August 2016.
Ok. Now I see. It could be the 2 mcat scores that resulted in your waitlists.

Best bet if you don't get in is to apply to some oos schools next year and add DO.

Would you consider taking the mcat for a 3rd time?

Would you consider taking skipping this application cycle?

And Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, I got an interview there and I'm from Texas. If you grew up poor-like me-then this is my best advice an interviewer told me when we discussed my application, retaking the mcat and student loans: That is not a car loan or a mortgage it is an investment into your future. As a medical doctor you will pay it off in a career that you enjoy.

Also, based on how you worded your responses I think you might have done what I did my first time and simply explained what you did in your EC's. I would suggest reading the Activities threads and using their advice. You have to sell yourself. Again, not to sound trite, satisfactory is not enough; you're competing against stellar applicants. It sounds dumb, but sell yourself! You're a black applicant with an amazing GPA, every school wants that! Now write your application to make them want you more. Tell your story through your essay and use your EC's to show examples: I wrote about what I want to do with medicine and I had multiple EC as examples to back it up. I talked about how learning about other cultures is enriching to me and one of my recommendation letters definitely backed it up.

Come up with a definitive plan, if you want to submit this year, it might be too late, unless you are already studying for the mcat. If you want to wait a year: remember back to when you wrote the MCAT. Was it test-taking skill, actual deficiencies in your knowledge or lack of prep that made you score low? Also you may have naysayers tell you that you took it too many times, which is correct, but I got in after +3 attempts.

Ok. Now I see. It could be the 2 mcat scores that resulted in your waitlists.

Best bet if you don't get in is to apply to some oos schools next year and add DO.

Would you consider taking the mcat for a 3rd time?

Would you consider taking skipping this application cycle?

That's what I'm thinking about doing if this year does not work out! I am currently studying for the MCAT, but my problem is test-taking skills and not necessarily the content. In short, yes I will be skipping this upcoming cycle since it would be a repeat of a last year (late submission).

And Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, I got an interview there and I'm from Texas. If you grew up poor-like me-then this is my best advice an interviewer told me when we discussed my application, retaking the mcat and student loans: That is not a car loan or a mortgage it is an investment into your future. As a medical doctor you will pay it off in a career that you enjoy.

Also, based on how you worded your responses I think you might have done what I did my first time and simply explained what you did in your EC's. I would suggest reading the Activities threads and using their advice. You have to sell yourself. Again, not to sound trite, satisfactory is not enough; you're competing against stellar applicants. It sounds dumb, but sell yourself! You're a black applicant with an amazing GPA, every school wants that! Now write your application to make them want you more. Tell your story through your essay and use your EC's to show examples: I wrote about what I want to do with medicine and I had multiple EC as examples to back it up. I talked about how learning about other cultures is enriching to me and one of my recommendation letters definitely backed it up.

Come up with a definitive plan, if you want to submit this year, it might be too late, unless you are already studying for the mcat. If you want to wait a year: remember back to when you wrote the MCAT. Was it test-taking skill, actual deficiencies in your knowledge or lack of prep that made you score low? Also you may have naysayers tell you that you took it too many times, which is correct, but I got in after +3 attempts.

I may have undersold myself when I said satisfactory lol. The way I wrote my essays was I talked about my accomplishments and goals and how that will contribute to succeeding as a medical school and as a doctor. I think next time I will be more succinct with what I am trying to say. Basically, I am good because of A, B, and C and you want me because of X, Y, and Z haha. I believe my MCAT scores are because of test taking skills.

The MCAT is so different than any test I have taken before...:/ I am self-studying with practice tests and content books! I don't like the prep classes because I would be doing the same thing but paying thousands of dollars.

Thank you for your input! :)

That's what I'm thinking about doing if this year does not work out! I am currently studying for the MCAT, but my problem is test-taking skills and not necessarily the content. In short, yes I will be skipping this upcoming cycle since it would be a repeat of a last year (late submission).

I may have undersold myself when I said satisfactory lol. The way I wrote my essays was I talked about my accomplishments and goals and how that will contribute to succeeding as a medical school and as a doctor. I think next time I will be more succinct with what I am trying to say. Basically, I am good because of A, B, and C and you want me because of X, Y, and Z haha. I believe my MCAT scores are because of test taking skills.

The MCAT is so different than any test I have taken before...:/ I am self-studying with practice tests and content books! I don't like the prep classes because I would be doing the same thing but paying thousands of dollars.

Thank you for your input! :)
I still think you could get off one of the waitlists, I really hope so!

Think about sending in updates or letters of interests to the schools you're waitlisted at, if they will allow it of course.

Look out for June 1st, as this is the deadline for people with an acceptance at any of the Texas schools last day to be pulled of a waitlist from a higher ranked school.

If anything, good luck and update us if you hear any news!

Reactions: 1 users
I still think you could get off one of the waitlists, I really hope so!

Think about sending in updates or letters of interests to the schools you're waitlisted at, if they will allow it of course.

Look out for June 1st, as this is the deadline for people with an acceptance at any of the Texas schools last day to be pulled of a waitlist from a higher ranked school.

If anything, good luck and update us if you hear any news!

Thank you for your encouragement! It is truly needed :'), this whole process really makes you doubt yourself in thinking "Am I not good enough?". It will ALL pay off in the end though!

I sent a letter of intent to Lubbock back in January, but when I called them two weeks ago they said their class is overfilled and they haven't even looked at their alternate list...:(

I am looking forward to June and I will definitely keep y'all posted!

Lol, I understand. I would also use the PS reader list from here too. They helped me make my essays more succinct and impactful.

That's how I felt, but ultimately paid for a course because of the new MCAT and my lack of Psych experience. It worked because it helped me focus. It helped me a lot with Physics, and some psych, but that was it. The most helpful parts were the practice problems, in class five minute quizzes. Ultimately though, the course helps you structure your learning through their materials: learn this here use this to make sure you know it, take an MCAT test to see if you know it in the manner that the MCAT wants you to know it. I would suggest thinking twice before tossing the course aside. Especially, since you mentioned test-taking; they stress this all the time and it helped me quite a bit. It is definitely overpriced. However for me, the 1.8k paid for itself. Maybe look for someone who might want to split the cost and you just use the online resources.

As for confidence, I can only say this. If you score high enough on that MCAT, you have a good shot at getting into Harvard. Look at the stats for a black male at a 3.9 GPA. There are so few of you in medicine, every school wants one.

I know what it's like to be waitlisted. My first cycle, I only applied because my friend pressured me. I honestly had no confidence that I would get an interview. I scored one interview. I still remember how much hope that e-mail invitation gave me. A better future, a better life and some confidence that I was not making a mistake. It lit the fire under my ass that I used as inspiration for five years.

Remember back to the interview day when they displayed how many applied, then how many interviewed and ultimately matriculated. You already have a leg up on some four thousand Texans. You already know what you need to do and you have a plan and the resources to accomplish it. You got this :)

I think you still have a shot to be my classmate, but I'd suggest that you continue forward as if you don't. Study hard and take as many practice tests as you can.

Lol, I understand. I would also use the PS reader list from here too. They helped me make my essays more succinct and impactful.

That's how I felt, but ultimately paid for a course because of the new MCAT and my lack of Psych experience. It worked because it helped me focus. It helped me a lot with Physics, and some psych, but that was it. The most helpful parts were the practice problems, in class five minute quizzes. Ultimately though, the course helps you structure your learning through their materials: learn this here use this to make sure you know it, take an MCAT test to see if you know it in the manner that the MCAT wants you to know it. I would suggest thinking twice before tossing the course aside. Especially, since you mentioned test-taking; they stress this all the time and it helped me quite a bit. It is definitely overpriced. However for me, the 1.8k paid for itself. Maybe look for someone who might want to split the cost and you just use the online resources.

As for confidence, I can only say this. If you score high enough on that MCAT, you have a good shot at getting into Harvard. Look at the stats for a black male at a 3.9 GPA. There are so few of you in medicine, every school wants one.

I know what it's like to be waitlisted. My first cycle, I only applied because my friend pressured me. I honestly had no confidence that I would get an interview. I scored one interview. I still remember how much hope that e-mail invitation gave me. A better future, a better life and some confidence that I was not making a mistake. It lit the fire under my ass that I used as inspiration for five years.

Remember back to the interview day when they displayed how many applied, then how many interviewed and ultimately matriculated. You already have a leg up on some four thousand Texans. You already know what you need to do and you have a plan and the resources to accomplish it. You got this :)

I think you still have a shot to be my classmate, but I'd suggest that you continue forward as if you don't. Study hard and take as many practice tests as you can.

Goodness, you truly are great at inspiring and encouraging others! I am going to definitely stay optimistic and be prepared regardless of what happens!

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it has really helped me out!

Hi Thunderdog, Did you get in finally? I hope you got out of waitlist....

I applied to UNT-TCOM and was interviewed in November of 2016. I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected. I think it was because I did not complete any DO shadowing and they might have believed that I wanted to go the MD route.

From my understanding, TCOM does not even require a DO letter like many DO schools do, so I don't think they are as worried about DO shadowing. I do feel however, based on a few people I know who interviewed there, that they take intent to matriculate there pretty seriously and if they think you aren't serious they will not offer you a seat.

Hi Thunderdog, Did you get in finally? I hope you got out of waitlist....
I am just now seeing this, sorry! Unfortunately, I was not accepted. :(

However, I am applying this upcoming May with a new MCAT score, two LOR from doctors I work with, updated essays, two years of work experience as a histotech at a pathology lab, and hopefully becoming trilingual! My third MCAT is in two weeks, so I am praying this is the last time I have to take it.

I have debated daily on retaking the MCAT because I am afraid of not improving my score. But, I know that my test score is the weakest flaw in my application so I have to try! Thank you for asking! :)

From my understanding, TCOM does not even require a DO letter like many DO schools do, so I don't think they are as worried about DO shadowing. I do feel however, based on a few people I know who interviewed there, that they take intent to matriculate there pretty seriously and if they think you aren't serious they will not offer you a seat.

Yeah...it may have come across as that in my interview...haha