Advice for the non-matched applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ava2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title of my post indicates, I applied (unsuccessfully) to derm this last application cycle. I did match into my first choice for a prelim position in IM and am struggling now with the big decision about whether to reapply to derm next time around.

I do love the field, spent 4 months doing derm rotations at my home program as well as at other programs as a 4th yr student and can't really see myself doing anything else. To that end, I have begun contacting programs about a fellowship and have some promising responses. My question is actually manifold:

1. Should I reapply next app cycle (eventhough it's unlikely that my app will be much better) or should I wait and reapply during my fellowship (if I secure one)?
2. How important is Step 3 to programs?
3. What are the chances that I will match into derm if I do a derm fellowship at a respected institution and does it matter whether the fellowship is 1 or 2 yrs?
4. Do programs ever stop using Step 1 scores as the major criterion as to whether you are a worth candidate? (My score is ok, not great but better than average and Step 2 was MUCH better).

Thanks for any and all info/advice!

Members don't see this ad.