Advice for students entering first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bulliedinschool2doc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anything in particular?

In general, I tell students:

- Sharpen up your physiology before you come in, you'll be happy in the long run.
- Make sure to enjoy the summer beforehand.
- Maximize your mental health now because it is far easier to dig out of a burnout/depression episode if you came in strong and wrote a contingency plan for if either happens.
- Figure out what kind of learner you are.
- Get all your tech ready.

Good luck!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Learn to cook.

Get in a good workout routine.

Sleep while you still can.

Get a therapist.

Learn how to use Anki.

- Weary MS1

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anything in particular?

In general, I tell students:

- Sharpen up your physiology before you come in, you'll be happy in the long run.
- Make sure to enjoy the summer beforehand.
- Maximize your mental health now because it is far easier to dig out of a burnout/depression episode if you came in strong and wrote a contingency plan for if either happens.
- Figure out what kind of learner you are.
- Get all your tech ready.

Good luck!

Med School Tutors
Learn to cook.

Get a therapist.

Learn how to use Anki.

- Weary MS1
Thank you. Is there anything I should be aware of to have the best chance of doing well on my boards, rotations, or successfully applying for residency?

Thank you. Is there anything I should be aware of to have the best chance of doing well on my boards, rotations, or successfully applying for residency?
Current MS4: the best thing you can do pre-M1 to prepare for boards, has already been shared here. Learn how to use Anki. Learn to cook; at least 4-5 meals you can prep on your own. Find a good workout routine that you enjoy and can actually stick with. Travel, relax, binge Netflix, try a new hobby, read a book, etc. I know it doesn’t seem like it now, but those things truly are the best way you can prepare for med school, boards, rotations, etc. Those things are vital to success in med school, and once classes start you won’t have time to do them. I especially like the rec of finding a therapist you like now; therapy through medical school should be required IMO, even if you’re feeling great.

Reactions: 2 users
There’s a perception that therapy is only if you have a mood disorder. I don’t. I’d say I’m generally mentally healthy. But my school offers free therapy resources and it’s been so nice to have someone check in on me, offer unbiased advice, and help me get out of mental spirals when I’m exhausted and overwhelmed. It requires some level of perfectionism to make it into med school but that same mindset will burn you if you keep it up.

Reactions: 4 users
Learn to cook.

Get a therapist.

Learn how to use Anki.

- Weary MS1
Learn to cook is so clutch. If I could go back in time I would say this for sure.

Get an air fryer and a slow cooker and Google "allrecipes slow cooker X" and learn how to meal prep. Saves you an absolute buttload of cash (Especially in this inflationary economy) and meal prepping becomes oddly peaceful moments.

Med School Tutors

There’s a perception that therapy is only if you have a mood disorder. I don’t. I’d say I’m generally mentally healthy. But my school offers free therapy resources and it’s been so nice to have someone check in on me, offer unbiased advice, and help me get out of mental spirals when I’m exhausted and overwhelmed. It requires some level of perfectionism to make it into med school but that same mindset will burn you if you keep it up.
A dear friend of mind once said "If you have a pulse, you would benefit from therapy".

Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Not particularly. The material stacks on itself over time so it is hard to get too far ahead. That is why I tell students to just pick anatomy and physiology because having rock-solid foundations there will help the shell shock of the fire hose being turned on you.

Med School Tutors

I don't know if this is obvious or not, but it's really easy to get lost in foodie rabbit holes, so by learning to cook, specifically we mean learn to how to assemble a few different meals that are reasonably balanced, don't take much mental/planning energy for you to make, and ideally leave you with leftovers. Make sure you have at least a couple go-tos that are vegetarian. (You never know when a lecture or anatomy lab is going to put you off meat for awhile.) A good blender is also something worth adding to your list - don't underestimate the value of a smoothie for when you're too tired to deal with one more thing.

Last edited: