Advice for PTCE takers with no experience or training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiles425

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a long time lurker on these boards and I thought I would finally contribute since I just took the PTCE yesterday with no experience or formal training and passed with the help of everyone here.

Firstly, it is possible to pass the exam with no experience in a pharmacy setting and no formal training in school. I'm proof of that. So don't worry so much. I spent days on the student doctor network worrying about this, reading every post I could find on the subject matter instead of using that time to study. Don't make the same mistake.

Secondly, to review I used Delmar's "Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam review" and AphA's "the Pharmacy Technician" and AphaA's "The Pharmacy Technician Workbook Certification Review" both published by Morton. However, I am highly critical of both books. The Delmar book is thorough but it has too many errors for a person with no training or experience. AphA's books are an excellent read to get an understanding of the pharmacy technician's role but some sections are unnecessary for the test while other sections leave out important test info. In terms of books I've learned two things from the studentdoc network posters 1) Mosby's book is generally agreed to be the best review. I'd recommend getting this one, even though I haven't used it. 2) Use at least two books as review guides. (People with no experience/training who fail the test usually only used one guide.)

Thirdly, DRUGS- the big question on everyone's mind. Well the best advice is to learn at least the drug class and suffixes/prefix. For example, know that cef or kef in a prefix or suffix usually is an antibiotic.

OR
-olol-beta blockers (example:metoprolol)
-statin-cholesterol lowering medications ( Example atovastatin)
-cillin-penicillins
-floxacin-quinilone antibiotics (cipro)
-cycline-antibiotics (tetracycline)
-mycin- macrolide antibiotics [some of them]- erythromycin

Here are some others:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_parts_of_the_cardiovascular_system_does_high_blood_pressure_medication_target_and_how_would_this_drug_work_on_a_biochemical_level

Here is a complete list of drug class suffixes and prefixes:
http://www.takerx.com/class.html

Fourthly, if you have not memorized the top 200 drugs and info but you have memorized some drug classes (which was my case), it is IMPERATIVE that you have the calculations, conversions, and abbreviations portions MASTERED. I can not stress this enough. I think this is what helped me pass. I have heard a rumor that the calculations questions are weighted more than the drug questions. I think I bombed the drug questions, did decently on law and procedures, and mastered the calculations, conversions, and abbrevs.

Finally, I bought practice exams from eBay because someone on this board recommended them. They were great practice and only cost $5. Search for "PTCB Pharmacy Technician Practice Exams- 400+ questions" on eBay. It's sold by exam-resources. ( by the way, I recieved a 65% 70% and a 76% on the three practice exams i took, so if your scoring in this range on these test i suppose you are on the right track)

I also bought a PTCB practice exam for $30 from the official PTCB website because I was so worried about passing. Even though this is completely unnecessary to purchase, it was very similar to the actually test. It also provides a degree of confidence going into the real thing for the worry-warts such as myself because it tells you if you would hypothetically pass the real exam and gives you a scaled score based on the practice test.

I hope all my rambling helped someone. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. Since the city I'm in is so saturated with pharm techs, it is hard to get a job without training or experience. Now that I'm certified I'll have a better chance at volunteering at smaller chains stores at least. YAYY! On to the PCAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great information! I'm planning to take the exam in less than a month and there are a ton of threads on the board. It's great to have all of this information in one concise thread.

Congrats on passing the exam!

Smiles,
It's great that you have joined SDN so you can provide detailed information for those who are planning to take the test. I too worried about passing the test and allowed myself the whole 90 days to study once I signed up to register for the test. However, I found out on test day that it was not bad at all and it would have been sufficient to study for 30 days instead.

Of course, students still need to spend some time to study for it and as long as they do, they should be fine. Just remember that there are several versions of the test. Mine didn't have too many drugs on there but I have read that some others did so be sure to review all of the components of the test.

Good luck on the PCAT!

I had done the same thing. Bought the Mosby's book - passed the test. My problem now is that I don't have one-year full-time experience nor did I take a course, so I'm having a hard time getting a job. I guess the one benefit of taking a tech course is that companies will accept that in lieu of 1 yr experience. (In the meantime, I'm volunteering).

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it today and passed. Just borrowed an APhA tech review book and crammed it in a day--started at 8AM-4PM--went over the practice tests. Some odd calculations in it, but they give you a calc!

Thank you Smiles425 for the information about the exam. I was really stressed and worried about it but I have also been reading a lot about the exam on the forum. How many questions are there on the exam? is it 90 or 125? thank you for your help!!!

Thank you Smiles425 for the information about the exam. I was really stressed and worried about it but I have also been reading a lot about the exam on the forum. How many questions are there on the exam? is it 90 or 125? thank you for your help!!!

Mixy, the test was 90 questions and generally 120 minutes of time are given to complete the exam. (I was only given 110 minutes of time for some reason, perhaps the initial tutorial is included in that time frame). Here are some FAQs at the PTCB website that may answer some of your questions:
https://www.ptcb.org/Content/NavigationMenu/About/Help/default.htm

Thank you so much man. This is completely helpful for everyone whos planning to take the exam. Now I have a clear direction and focus point when I study. Congrats on passing the exam!! You rock!!

Hey, Smile
Thank you so so much for the info. They're really helpful. I've been studying the materials in these 2 books, The Pharmacy Technician and The Pharmacy Technician Workbook and Certification Review(3rd edition).
As you said, there are some chapters that are not necessary for the exam as well as some critical chapters. I wonder if you kind of remember what these chapters are?
I only bought these 2 books for preparation. Do you think if I need to have second resource to compare?

I really appreciate your help and your time.

I bought the flashcards, & tests from the site someone mentioned in this thread. I'm really worried about the math. I have been a tech on & off for several years & never had to use the type of calculations that are on the test. My main question is... Is there any way to identify in the problem if I should be multiplying or dividing? Any help would be appreciated!

Hey, Smile
Thank you so so much for the info. They're really helpful. I've been studying the materials in these 2 books, The Pharmacy Technician and The Pharmacy Technician Workbook and Certification Review(3rd edition).
As you said, there are some chapters that are not necessary for the exam as well as some critical chapters. I wonder if you kind of remember what these chapters are?
I only bought these 2 books for preparation. Do you think if I need to have second resource to compare?

I bought the flashcards, & tests from the site someone mentioned in this thread. I'm really worried about the math. I have been a tech on & off for several years & never had to use the type of calculations that are on the test. My main question is... Is there any way to identify in the problem if I should be multiplying or dividing? Any help would be appreciated!

Hey Marika,

Sorry about getting back to you so late. My comp is acting funny. anywho, knowing whether to divide or multiply is all about knowing what conversion factor to use. Units will always cancel out so that will help you in the process as well. You should be pretty good at this for the test. If you have no idea what I am talking about, think about buying a review book and a basic algebra book. Once you get a hang of how conversion factors and dimensional analysis works, knowing where to divide and multiply will be easy as apple pie :)

Last edited:
Hey, Smile

Arc,

Think about using a second review book to supplement your studies. IMO this book alone is not enough. For example, I can't believe it doesn't mention the tic-tac-toe method for alligation problems. AS for an answer to your question, Its not as simple as which chapters are not important, rather what info within some chapters. For example in chapter one, though very interesting information, the origins and timeline of pharmacy is not important for the test. The PTCE is NOT going to ask "Who was the ancient Greek goddess of Medicinal Herbs?" Some of the info on equipment in the compounding section also seem superfluous. I would never have noticed this had it not been for reviewing another book.

Hey, Smile.
Thanks a lot for your advice. It's really helpful to prepare for the exam with these info.