Advice for potential reapp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zefla12

Reaction score
I applied to 16 schools and received 4 interviews(3 MD 1 DO). Currently waitlisted for 1 MD and 1 DO; waiting to hear back from the 2 other schools. However one of the schools I’m waiting to hear back from already had an A wave and historically if you aren’t part of the initial wave it’s most like a WL. So no A’s yet so just preparing for a worst case.

Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.5

MCAT:506–>512

Clinical experience: 120 hrs volunteering and ~3000 hrs as a medical assistant.

Nonclinical volunteering: 200 hrs as crisis text volunteer

Tutoring: 2 semesters as BIO TA and 1 semester as orgo lab TA

Research: 600 hrs but no pubs or posters

Miscellaneous: a few semesters as a writer for a student run science journal.

LOR: 2 from science professors, 1 from MD, 1 from research lab PI.

School list:
State of residence is NY and also ORM. I applied to all my state schools and most “low tier” schools around the east coast with one or two reaches.

All SUNYs( II from Downstate and awaiting decision.)

George Washington(II and WL)

Drexel( II and awaiting decision)

NYIT( II and WL)

Mount Sinai

NYMC

Albany medical college

Thomas Jefferson

Temple

Wake forest

Penn State

LECOM

Tufts

BU

Albert Einstein

As for how my interviews went, I thought I did more than ok for all of them except for my George Washington one. Pretty much had genuine conversations with all my interviewers.

Just need some general advice on how to approach reapplication especially with letters of recs. Should I be reaching out to all writers to have them update them even if I haven’t spoken to them for a good 2 years now? I did a committee letter so not sure how that’ll work with reapp. Also I haven’t really done anything new this application cycle. I think the only major change was that I was promoted to a leadership position in my clinical job which I included in some updates to schools. Appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

There is still time for waitlist movement over the next several weeks. You had done very well considering the low number of schools you applied to. BU and Mt Sinai were likely donations, and your biggest weakness was lack of face-to-face non-clinical volunteering. Crisis text line is rather limited and typically, schools look for applicants who have demonstrated that they help the underserved and those less fortunate.

If you do end up having to reapply, it would be good to update your letters by reaching out and letting your writers know what is new with you. Your school's specific committee letter policy would be your best resource as any additional specifics.

You should add the following if you need another cycle:
VCU
EVMS
Creighton
Wayne State
Oakland
Quinnipiac
TCU
Nova MD
Hackensack

Additional DO:
Touro NY
PCOM
DMU
Marian
KCU
KCOM
CUSOM
CCOM (high tuition FYI)

These are on the Eastern half of the US since you seem to have focused on those types of schools originally. Many of the MD ones value service as part of their mission, so be sure to gain hours for that.

Reactions: 1 users