Advice For Post SOAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
US M4 Allopathic Med Student. Applied in match 7 interviews, went on 6. Went un-matched and no soap spots. Step 1: 227 Step 2ck: 227 Step 2cs: Second time pass. I want to go into psych. Should I wait and reapply next year? Try to get a prelim spot between april to june? What is my best course of action?

I was thinking about applying this year but if the Step 2cs is holding me back I wont. I could also just apply to Internal medicine. Any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

The first thing you should do (if you haven't already) is try to find out why you didn't match. Did you apply broadly enough? Your numbers shouldn't have held you back significantly (except maybe the CS retake), so you need to look for other answers. You should contact the PD of your home program (ideally) or other programs you applied to to find out if there were any red flags, LOR issues, etc. that led them to rank you lower.

You'll be better equipped to make a decision on next steps once you have more information.

The first thing you should do (if you haven't already) is try to find out why you didn't match. Did you apply broadly enough? Your numbers shouldn't have held you back significantly (except maybe the CS retake), so you need to look for other answers. You should contact the PD of your home program (ideally) or other programs you applied to to find out if there were any red flags, LOR issues, etc. that led them to rank you lower.

You'll be better equipped to make a decision on next steps once you have more information.
I did talk to my PD. He said my low step 2 held me back. Avg Step 2 at my program was 238. I talked to a different PD outside of psych, he said not having a CS on file at the time held me back. At the time of ranking, they did not have a CS score. I do not think I will get a psych position by July 1. But hopefully I can get a medicine prelim hopefully.

While your Step 2 CK held you back at home, my CK was less than yours and I got psych interviews all over the country, university and community. I think your CS was the much bigger problem.

Can you please post your CS timeline? Like did you take it first before or after the 15th. When did you take it second? When did you get the second results?

As for what to do, do you feel like you have support from your school? Like would they be willing to create a one year position for you? If you stuck around for a year (delaying graduation or extra masters degree) would the psych PD be supportive for another attempt next year? Your best path depends on what kind of home support you have for psych.

Reactions: 1 users
WHYYYY did you not go to your 7th interview?

Reactions: 2 users
While your Step 2 CK held you back at home, my CK was less than yours and I got psych interviews all over the country, university and community. I think your CS was the much bigger problem.

Can you please post your CS timeline? Like did you take it first before or after the 15th. When did you take it second? When did you get the second results?

As for what to do, do you feel like you have support from your school? Like would they be willing to create a one year position for you? If you stuck around for a year (delaying graduation or extra masters degree) would the psych PD be supportive for another attempt next year? Your best path depends on what kind of home support you have for psych.
Yea not having the CS in hand might have caused me to be ranked lower. I don't know what to do at this point. It really sucks. Wish I knew better. I took CS in Dec and got the results in Feb. I then did Ximedius (5 day prep course) which helped a lot, then retook CS in late Feb. My results will come back April 26. I am confident I passed at this point. So Im preparing my app, so the minute I get my results, Im sending my app out. My psych program is not really supportive. Im on my own for sure. I will try to get a Internal medicine prelim if I can. I am planning to talk to the program director for Internal medicine to get advice and see if that person can help me get a spot anywhere. Chances of me getting lucky with a psych spot is very slim but I will send my app out for sure to all the programs. Even a internal medicine prelim spot will be very hard. I did not expect the match for psych to be competitive. My program went unfilled for internal, peds, and family. But not for psych....

WHYYYY did you not go to your 7th interview?
I was stupid. I deserve to be in this position especially since I did not apply to more places. But I surely want to get out of it if I can.

... My psych program is not really supportive. Im on my own for sure. I will try to get a Internal medicine prelim if I can. I am planning to talk to the program director for Internal medicine to get advice and see if that person can help me get a spot anywhere. ....

I hope you can find a faculty member to be your champion and find a prelim spot.

Was offered a out of match pgy 1 neurology spot starting July 2017. Thx everyone.

Reactions: 6 users