Advice for older, non-trad MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starburster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advise. I am an MS3 and I have been very interested in PM&R since before starting medical school. I graduated university with a bachelors in business, went back to medical school after a few years and I will be 32 when I apply to the next cycle.

How accurate are the step 1 score requirements listed on FREIDA? I am not happy about my step 1 score but I am confident that my step 2 score will greatly improve. How do I know which programs have auto screening for step scores? It would kinda suck if you have a poor step 1 score, get screened out but have a stellar step 2 score.

Also, how important are publications like case reports? I only have one publication that isn't in PM&R but during my PM&R electives, how many should I do to buff up my CV?

Members don't see this ad.

-I was older than you when I applied to programs.

-Some programs have hard cut offs for board scores...some do not...many that do don't publicly list them. Best advice I can give you is contact programs you may be interested in and ask them. So while it sucks, reality is, some program screen with Step scores. Improving on step 2 like you are planning def wont hurt you. Apply broadly when the time comes.

-I had zero publications/case reports and had plenty of interviews and matched my top choice program. Research isn't the only way to buff up you CV. A good story from your non traditional background can go a long way--especially if you've shown interest in the field of PM&R throughout medschool.

You will be the same age as me when you start your PGY-2 year. Who are you calling old? :)

PMR is an excellent specialty for people entering medicine a little more "matured" because it's one of the few specialties you can make decent money without breaking your back, and it sets up well for work-life balance. Our residency generally has the easiest hours of ANY residency.

Good recs from the doc from Scallywag.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be the same age as me when you start your PGY-2 year. Who are you calling old? :)

PMR is an excellent specialty for people entering medicine a little more "matured" because it's one of the few specialties you can make decent money without breaking your back, and it sets up well for work-life balance. Our residency generally has the easiest hours of ANY residency.

Good recs from the doc from Scallywag.
Did you look at any other specialties when looking for setting up a work-life balance? Any recommendations?

Did you look at any other specialties when looking for setting up a work-life balance? Any recommendations?

The two most important factor when it comes to work life balance are finding the RIGHT job and finding the RIGHT spouse/significant other. It doesn’t matter if you work 40 hours/week if your job is something you resent. I personally would have hated Derm in spite of the money and hours, because I would not have found the work fulfilling. I’d rather just teach high school while being a baseball coach. I didn’t like the OR...so that took a bunch of specialties off the table. I was essentially left with primary care, PMR, and Neuro as specialties I felt I could be at least reasonably happy doing. Thankfully, I didn’t need to consider a second specialty. Have a good financial plan (reading White Coat Investor is a good place to start), so that you don’t allow money to play a role in your decisions.

Last edited: