Advice for new Residents (PGY-1)!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is about advice, your personal & professional experiences for the new graduates (class of 23) and soon-to-be residents. We now have a handful of active users, either recent-grad or seasoned attendings. Your advice on the dos and don't for a new resident will be constructive. Please be on the topic and do not derail this thread. A similarly named thread in 2012 derailed and ended with a lock and a few bans. Let's not repeat that now. I will post below two threads that, IMO can also be helpful to new residents (although different topics). Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You have 3 years. Work your ass off. You will never get to do it again.
Now is the time to make mistakes. Do your best but the more you make the more you learn.

Thats all that really needs said.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoy the last year of freedom (and having pgy1s doing your grunt work) before you're covered in nail dust and loan repayment.

• Haha
Start looking for jobs right away - meaning, set your geographical boundries, research, network, etc.

Cant stress this enough. There is a high probability that you will end up with a garbage 100k private practice job. Try to minimize this probability as much as possible by aggressively starting you job search at the beginning of second year so that maybe you'll have a chance of landing a hospital/ortho/MSG job and getting paid like a real doctor.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
6 posts in and I am ready to derail this thing...residency could have been the best years of my life if it weren't for all the podiatry. So much nostalgia, so many amazing experiences, I worked hard, I played hard. So many stories...

I learned a lot from my ortho attendings and when I had down time or off service, I scrubbed with them at our main trauma hospital. One of them offered to make phone calls/recommendation for me because he knew where I wanted to settle down career wise.

Don’t assume that you went to Harvard Auburn and will land your dream job. You have to create your own luck with your hard work.

Mirroring what others said - go out of your way to scrub as many cases as possible (without stepping on other residents toes). Scan the hospital / Sx center OR boards and ask to scrub in cases. Read from quality journals often (not JAPMA) and find attendings that are willing to try new techniques. If you learned only one way to do a particular procedure, you did not seek out enough attendings. Some of my favorite cases were with general and F/A ortho. The F/A ortho world is much smaller than even podiatry, and the networking can help with the job search. In the job hunt, cold call every place in a certain area, with or without a podiatrist already on staff. Stay away from the PM News ads. If you don't wait for a job offer to come to you, you are likely already ahead of half the graduating class.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd say most of the above is good. A few quick hitters:

1) Learn from the best. Find mentors. Scrub with the highest quality attendings that you can; do the same for office rotations.
As mentioned, residency is not as long as you think. Hopefully you picked a match with a good amount of surgery and surplus logs, and there's a lot more to learn than just the technical and anatomy parts of surgery. Heck, any decent 3rd or 4th year pod student should know anatomy and how to suture and what the instruments are called and what they do. As you'll soon figure out, some attendings get it, and some don't (procedure selection, rationale, composure, efficiency running the OR, running a great private practice, communication with pts in office, etc). So, pick a Lapidus with a very good attending over a triple with a putzer. Pick an Austin-Akin with the program's top attending over SER-2 ORIF with a mediocre attending. Pick a TMA with a great attending (so you can talk practice philosophy) over Haglund with a bumbler who you'd never want to emulate. Some attendings are awesome, and others are "first year attening" for good reason. And yes, sometimes you want the ones who pass the knife or the ones where you might "learn what not to do" (or sometimes you have no choice as pgy-1 or pgy-2), but don't underestimate the conversational aspect and the positive effects of being in the shadow of excellence versus alongside ho-hum. :)

2) Learn from the 5 year residency programs at your hospital: particularly gen surg and ortho.
They are there almost twice as long as you are. Fellows who did residency there... more than 2x you! They are bigger programs, more networked. The residents in those 5yr programs, particularly the surgery seniors and chiefs with decent looks and social skill, will have the scouting report on nearly any and all attractive and single(ish) nurses, PAs, HUCs, security guards, and everything else. That knowledge is power. If you think you spotted the cute ER triage LPN or that new cafe worker first, a handful of them have probably already dated him/her. They will also know where the good parties and bars are. Any teaching hospital is hundreds of young people who studied A&P and are now in the physical prime of their life working waaay too much, so embrace it and don't just work or sleep all of the time. Make the most of you limited free time. Yin and Yang. Hang with your pod co-residents who are cool, but get outside just the podiatry bubble early and often.
There is no reason residency can't be fun; even if you're married/monog or a homebody, joking around and stories still just makes rounds and your away rotations and overall residency life a lot more fun. If you are in the dating game, that intel from the 5yr program residents can help you know which are spouse-hunting versus having fun. Mainly, they'll help you to swerve the gold diggers, cray cray ones, ones who are into hard party/habits, the stage-five clingers, etc. No joke. A lot of gen surg and ortho programs are kinda like the Marines: work hard, play hard. Don't be afraid to ask about the PACU redhead or the the cute EVS brunette. Ignore their 'personnel' knowledge and experience at your own peril. Two ways to learn: your mistakes or someone else's.
* and if you matched at a VA or some small place with pod or pod + FP as the only residencies, you seriously miss out. Woe is you :( *

Vince Vaughn Movie GIF by filmeditor

3) Jobs are just jobs.
They're a learning experience (hence residency being a job also). You will learn what you like and what you don't from each job. You will learn what you value. Maybe you want a lot of pts/cases, maybe you PP to learn skills to be owner one day, maybe you like easy hours. First jobs seldom stick, so find a decent one and be happily surprised if it lasts awhile. Fyi, the mentorship idea mentioned for residency applies to jobs also. If you can work in the same office or dept or at least group as a dynamite attending, that's big for a first job. That is why the nursing home jobs are so destructive... your mind just rots away, no challenge, no mentorship. Regardless, plan to leave the first job and be wiser for having worked there. Understand if non-competes are upheld in the area (if that matters to you). As to when to search for jobs, most want someone who can start in the next 6 months, 12 max. That's just how it is. You can browse 1st year, make some calls 2nd year (visits if you can afford it). The end of 2nd year and beginning of 3rd year is really the time to be serious about it. You can try cold call and creating jobs earlier (mid 2nd year?) but that's pretty tough sledding because a bite might just turn into them posting a job if your graduation is 18months away. Also, if you got an offer 2nd year, you seldom have any basis for comparison... and there's a lot of time for things to change or fall through. Plan for end of 2nd year and beginning 3rd year to seriously shoot out calls, send CV, travel to interviews.
Learn to budget and invest. Being able to budget or failing at that can make somebody happy making just $100k or have someone else on the verge on bankrupt at even $400k income. A fantastic job does no good if you or partner are miserable with your hours and/or location. Do a Roth IRA while in residency, have a basic emergency fund, tighten the belt, pay student loan interest if you can, and be happily surprised if you can comfortably afford a new Tundra and a 3 or 4br with a couple acres one day... don't set yourself up to be mad if you can't afford to drive a Maserati and a 6br beach house, you know? Starting the "doctor lifestyle" too early (or at all) has doomed many more DPMs to being miserable and/or trying fraud than failing to get to $300k has. :thumbup:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Do all you can to network.

Network with local attendings (if you’re scrubbing outside cases). They’ll be good letters of rec for you.

Make relationships with vascular surgeons (or others doing limb revascularization). They will be your biggest ally bringing you on a hospital job for limb salvage. Even other residents or fellows because they’ll move away and be opening their own center. If you really want to do limb salvage, I’d recommend going to vascular meetings and networking. No podiatrists do this.

Agree with comments above on mentorship. Find mentors even if not at your program and learn all you can.

Go to all the meetings you can - Local, state, national. At the meetings, go up and introduce yourself and talk with the speakers afterward.

Present posters at meetings. Find a couple good cases, make a poster and present the same poster at every meeting. You network with people who come by to ask you about the poster. After you’re done presenting the poster, write up a case report for publication.

Partner with faculty to write articles in journals or magazines. That always helps your image and you learn a lot doing it.

If you want to do a fellowship, reach out during your second year to express interest.

And lastly, always have a plan. Start creating your plan now and implementing it now.

Reactions: 7 users
If you’re a woman and want to start a family it may interfere with your board certification opportunities, which is wrong and you shouldn’t have to choose between a family and board certification.

I knew someone that planned a pregnancy and was due in August after residency so she was pregnant during the last 7 months of residency and then took off one month after delivery so she was available to start full time on Oct 1 without employment gaps.

You do have to be aware of discrimination against women when being hired in practices because of pregnancy. It is illegal to ask about pregnancy or your family planning in interviews … but I am appalled to find out from my 3rd residents it is frequently asked.

Cant stress this enough. There is a high probability that you will end up with a garbage 100k private practice job. Try to minimize this probability as much as possible by aggressively starting you job search at the beginning of second year so that maybe you'll have a chance of landing a hospital/ortho/MSG job and getting paid like a real doctor.
I second this. I started looking during my second year and had hospital interview set up my October of my third year. I had offers by ended of November 3rd Year. I wasn’t a top resident and I wasn‘t at a top residency. I just knew I would not take a private practice position.

You don't know what you don't know. Always seek experience and information.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just knew I would not take a private practice position.

Let’s be realistic here. You prayed every night to the dremel gods that you wouldn’t end up stuck in a garbage private practice job.

Reactions: 1 user
It's telling that all our advice centers around business and networking and not "read a lot to be the best doctor you can be"

Reactions: 7 users
As others have said make the most of your training. Some will be lazy and skip covering cases if they think they can get away with it. It is not impossible to improve your training after residency, but much harder and the liability is all yours.

The job market is horrible, but knowledge is power. Be willing to go anywhere, network, start your job search early and try to standout in some way. Solo practice has not died yet in many parts of the country. It is not easy to start or run an office, but you can do well, even without resorting to being scammy.

It's telling that all our advice centers around business and networking and not "read a lot to be the best doctor you can be"
It is the reality of podiatry. Our job market is horrible and many are small business owners.

Residency is where you need to learn as much surgery and surgical technique as you can. However what is more important in my opinion is learning proper patient surgical selection. Learn which patients to operate on, and also learn which patients to not operate on. Not everyone needs or should get elective surgery and nobody can force your hand. Know your surgical limitations, don't perform procedures you aren't comfortable with, and don't let patients dictate their care. You absolutely have the right to refuse surgery and recommend the patient get a second opinion. If you learn this than you will save yourself many headaches and potential lawsuits in the future

Reactions: 5 users
(a) Read. Read about things your attendings aren't doing. Look for alternative variations of fixation. Different incisional approaches for the same techniques.

(b) It is entirely possible you will leave residency believing you were taught "the perfect way to do things". 4 years ago I believed that the people who taught me knew best and that assuredly I was destined for success using those same things. Everyone else was wrong, dumb, and I'd be proving it soon. I'm now readily looking for new ways to do things. There is a lot of dumb stuff out there. You will assuredly have no shortage of laughs at outside x-rays and how "terrible" those people are. And in a few years you'll be in a room explaining why your master plan failed and dreading that patient's post-op visits. Be flexible. Be humble. Question everything (at the right time and place).

(c) Procedure and patient selection is real. There's a tired expression out there about spending 3 years to learn how to do it and 10 years to learn who to do it on. A patient booked for surgery the first day you see them is a stranger and an open book waiting to be read in the post-op.

-Take advantage of patient's seen at hospitals where their complete medical record is available. A co-resident booked a patient who "1 page down" in Epic had 3 different drunks brawls in the emergency room. Guess who didn't have a smooth post-op.

-When complications happen on elective surgery (or hell, anything) the process of healing can rapidly become adversarial. The patient is frustrated. The doctor is frustrated. Very likely the doctor no longer trusts the patient and potentially vice versa. The patient had plans. Dreams. Places to be. Perhaps it can simply be revised with surgery you tell yourself? But will you want to revise something on a patient who did something insane or who you no longer trust? Will the patient agree to a surgery from a doctor they are angry at? There is an art to managing patient expectations problems etc, but the greatest thing to do is never to find yourself in these situations. Impossible - but worth aiming for.

-Know a patients limits. I can't believe he she did this / failed me / walked on it. Perhaps you the surgeon selected a process the patient simply couldn't endure. If you are explaining to the patient their 8 week non-weight bearing post-op for the first time at the day of surgery pre-op - you are on the path to trouble.

-"I get infected everytime I have surgery" is a horrible thing to hear for the 1st time at a post-op visit where an infection is occurring.

(d) Vascular disease is the ultimate enemy. Everything fails when it is not addressed.

(e) Develop transferable skills. Learn the powerful salvage procedures, but also learn that performing the perfect bunion is an art. I love doing 1st MPJ fusions and I consistently meet people who say they love doing it, but I'm always blown away when I see an Austin still sitting in the appropriate position with great ROM 10 years later.

(f) Hustle and impress people during your 1st year or they will think you are a slacker for the next 2 years. The nurses were convinced one of my co-residents was garbage a month in. "He has no spring to his step".

(g) If you cannot suture - no one is going to trust you to cut bone. I'm well aware that there are rotations out there where no one will let you do anything, but try to have made strong progress on this before starting residency ie. as a student.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Let’s be realistic here. You prayed every night to the dremel gods that you wouldn’t end up stuck in a garbage private practice job.
Yup. I also took a 3rd year because I was the last year some one could take a PMS-24 at my program. My friend took the pms-24 and spend years in private practice hell before having to start a practice. I used part of my 3rd year to interview. A lot of it was luck. I had 3 hospital interviews and 2 offers by the end of the whole process.

2) Learn from the 5 year residency programs at your hospital: particularly gen surg and ortho.
They are there almost twice as long as you are. Fellows who did residency there... more than 2x you! They are bigger programs, more networked. The residents in those 5yr programs, particularly the surgery seniors and chiefs with decent looks and social skill, will have the scouting report on nearly any and all attractive and single(ish) nurses, PAs, HUCs, security guards, and everything else. That knowledge is power. If you think you spotted the cute ER triage LPN or that new cafe worker first, a handful of them have probably already dated him/her. They will also know where the good parties and bars are. Any teaching hospital is hundreds of young people who studied A&P and are now in the physical prime of their life working waaay too much, so embrace it and don't just work or sleep all of the time. Make the most of you limited free time. Yin and Yang. Hang with your pod co-residents who are cool, but get outside just the podiatry bubble early and often.

Vince Vaughn Movie GIF by filmeditor
This was completely unhelpful and one of the cringiest things I ever read on the sdn message boards

Last edited:
  • Dislike
As a current resident, I thought it was reasonable and pretty decent.
Feli is one of the best contributors on here, If you don’t like the picking up nurses portion, skip that but there is still lots of solid info there.

His career has gone the typical path of someone that is eventually successful in this profession. He is well trained, using his training, bounced around jobs a little, was perhaps at least somewhat geographically open initially and is now opening his own office. He is stil working towards ABFAS, but in other professions would have surely been board certified by now.

The main problem is it is not just a matter putting in your time and being somewhat flexible geographically. This helps, but many will do this and still not make it. Some even now get poor training, are not geographically open, do not have the credit to open an office, or they open an office that fails or get into really scammy things and get caught trying keep their office going. Some also bounce around associate jobs, often moving every few years not owning a home etc and eventually just do nursing homes or leave the profession. The sky might be the limit, but we do not have solid jobs as a basement in this profession.

Feli is one of the best contributors on here, If you don’t like the picking up nurses portion, skip that but there is still lots of solid info there.

His career has gone the typical path of someone that is eventually successful in this profession. He is well trained, using his training, bounced around jobs a little, was perhaps at least somewhat geographically open initially and is now opening his own office. He is stil working towards ABFAS, but in other professions would have surely been board certified by now.

The main problem is it is not just a matter putting in your time and being somewhat flexible geographically. This helps, but many will do this and still not make it. Some even now get poor training, are not geographically open, do not have the credit to open an office, or they open an office that fails or get into really scammy things and get caught trying keep their office going. Some also bounce around associate jobs, often moving every few years not owning a home etc and eventually just do nursing homes or leave the profession. The sky might be the limit, but we do not have solid jobs as a basement in this profession.
Was specifically talking about the toolbag-ish portion of his comment. Everything else was great

This was completely unhelpful and one of the cringiest things I ever read on the sdn message boards... toolbag-ish portion of his comment. ...
Well, no offense was meant. Residents are adults in their mid to late 20s, on average. A whole lot of them date and party, at least a bit. Residency is an academic thing, but it's also the only time people will ever be 27, 28, 29 years old also. It's fairly unhealthy if you don't develop stress relievers and sense of humor of some sort.

If anything I said doesn't interest or apply to you, just move on? That's kinda how interwebs work. It's usually pretty light with some jokes mixed in. But I forgot: it must be Sunday... white knights rejoice!

Trying Rafe Spall GIF by Apple TV+

...make sure to never watch award-winning shows like Grey's Anatomy, or Friends, or Sex and the City... or any dating reality show. I'm sure their piles of Emmy and Golden Globes trophies are fraud and they feature far too much dating. Oh, and definitely don't try Euphoria or Deep Water or anything like that. :)

Do not date people in the hospital in residency. If you are a guy, especially do not do this.

Other than what has been said

Pay off your loan with highest interest rate as soon as you can

Maintain a healthy savings rate. 20% is good imo. Put that money into VTSAX or something similar. This will be your retirement best egg.

Learn how to reduce your taxable income by learning about various retirement account. White coat investor is a good start.

Get yourself a good TERM life insurance if you have a family. Do not buy whole.

Get yourself a good disability insurance with own occupation clause

Know signs of burn out. Do everything you can to prevent it. Slow and steady wins the race. If you burnout early in your career you'll have a big monetary opportunity cost. I wish I had slowed my roll starting out and not chased the RVUs.

It is an incredibly difficult time to be in healthcare in general. Starting a new job, new family, new house maybe even new town can be very stressful. Be aware of that so you can make plans on how to manage that stress. Everyone does this differently.

For podiatry your best bet is going to be a good hospital job. Getting a decent Private practice job that you can buy into is getting rarer unfortunately.

One of the best things has been other good podiatry friends that I can call and just chat. It's good to have that in life so don't lose touch with your co residents and attendings if you like them.

This may sound redundant, but what I wished I knew before finishing residency:

- Get comfortable with addressing any pathology that comes your way, whether its surgical or non-surgical. You don't know what type of job you'll end up with/the type of patients you'll be seeing
- Learn billing/coding and practice management as much as you can. Ask your attendings questions about it. Some may not be comfortable talking about it or feel like it's not a priority, but this is absolutely necessary to be successful, whether hospital based or private practice.
- Learn how the world of medical insurance works, because it will absolutely be a pain in your ass.

Maintain a healthy savings rate. 20% is good imo. Put that money into VTSAX or something similar. This will be your retirement best egg.
Recommend maxing out tax deferred retirement accounts before vanguard index fund.
Leaving money on the table not taking the tax deferral.

As a resident you should also be considering a Roth IRA.

Last edited:
Bad advice for residents:

1. If you're stuck operating late, and you have to round early the next day, you're going to be exhausted. So as long as you're going to be exhausted, may as well stop off at a bar after the case.

2. When your attending is berating you, I always found it a helped to imagine you can project your consciousness to the opposite corner of the room so it's like you're watching some other pathetic soul get savaged

3. If your director makes you do inpatient toenail consults, just "lose" your nail nippers. "What's that, a nail consult in room 402? Sorry, my nippers fell out the window, it's going to be 4-6 weeks for another set to get ordered in"

4. If you're stuck on a useless off-service rotation, that's a good time to call in sick. Chronic back pain is often disbelieved but never refutable

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Bad advice for residents:

1. If you're stuck operating late, and you have to round early the next day, you're going to be exhausted. So as long as you're going to be exhausted, may as well stop off at a bar after the case.

2. When your attending is berating you, I always found it a helped to imagine you can project your consciousness to the opposite corner of the room so it's like you're watching some other pathetic soul get savaged

3. If your director makes you do inpatient toenail consults, just "lose" your nail nippers. "What's that, a nail consult in room 402? Sorry, my nippers fell out the window, it's going to be 4-6 weeks for another set to get ordered in"

4. If you're stuck on a useless off-service rotation, that's a good time to call in sick. Chronic back pain is often disbelieved but never refutable
this was supposed to be bad advice? 2 and 4 are actually legit I feel.

It was more of a weird mix of how to get laid as an adult versus incel thought process
these two things cannot be implemented simultaneously, as they work completely opposite to each other. hence the horrible advice

• Hmm