advice for applying to medical schools in UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiles22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm from California and I need help applying to under grad programs in med schools in the UK. I've gotten the UCAS form, but I don't know where to apply. I was thinking about Kings at the University of London or Kings at Cambridge. I've been told that Cambridge is out of my league, but I don't know how true that is. (I have a 4.0+ gpa (I think somewhere around 4.2 or 4.3...not sure yet...1290 SATI, 670 SAT II math, and 800 SATII writing). Plus, for Cambridge I would have take the BMAT. Any advice? Is Cambride out of the question or should I go for it? Either way, I wanted to know, realistically, what my chances are of getting in to Kings at London Univ or Cambridge. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it since apps are due soon...Oct. 15! Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi smiles, I'm from UK and applying for Medicine this year too.

Getting into any medical school will be difficult, be it Cambridge or somewhere like Leeds. If you like the look of Cambridge and it appeals to you you should go for it. Make sure u have a lot of medical work exerience cos thats what they look for. I am also applying to Kings in London and Cambridge but not the Kings college. Imperial and Queen Mary, both of which are in London, are my other 2 choices. I havn't visited the last two yet but after reading about them and seeing the league tables I would recommend them.

You probably already have, but if you havn't, visit www.bmat.org.uk and practise with the specimen papers. I need to practise those a lot more and need all the help I can get on it too.

Good luck with the application..

tahmina,

Thanks for the adivce. I've decided not to apply to Kings at Cambridge. I was working on my UCAS application and I was trying to decide what other schools I should apply to now. So far I've decided on St. Johns College at Cambridge, Kings College London, and Imperial. I still have one more choice. Do you have any advice on what other college might be open minded about overseas students?

Thanks for your help and good luck with your applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I think most universities (if not all) have a number of international students, as laid down by the government, that they are allowed to admit. I can't remeber this percentage exactly but I think it's somewhere around 10%. Obviously all uni's will not treat overseas students unfairly because they want your money! (you probably know that you pay alomst ten times more than we do).
I've only managed to find out a bit about Queen Mary (London) for you - out of the 650 offers made for Medicine, 17 of those were 'international' places.

I sent my application off today - finally!

smiles22 said:
tahmina,

Thanks for the adivce. I've decided not to apply to Kings at Cambridge. I was working on my UCAS application and I was trying to decide what other schools I should apply to now. So far I've decided on St. Johns College at Cambridge, Kings College London, and Imperial. I still have one more choice. Do you have any advice on what other college might be open minded about overseas students?

Thanks for your help and good luck with your applications.

Hey Smiles

I'm a 4th year (UK Student) at Birmingham, so might be able to help a little. As for your 4th Uni, personally I'd go by area. If you want to be in London, then you can rule out all the non-London med schools, and vice versa. See if that helps you any. There really isn't any difference between them all, though I'd say not Birmingham if you're planning to be a surgeon... Our anatomy teaching is famously a joke. Which is why I'm sat here before I go into Ortho theatres learning the shoulder. For what feels like the first time... But I digress!

So, good luck with the application!

I've sent in my UCAS app and I've gotten the letter saying they got my stuff, but now what? Should I send in my transcripts, score reports, etc. to the schools or should I wait to hear from them first? Also, how long does it usually take for them to make their decision? I was wondering if I'll know anytime soon because I'm starting to apply to schools here too and I have to tell them my decision by a certain date (not sure when yet). Any advice? Thanks!

smiles22 said:
I've sent in my UCAS app and I've gotten the letter saying they got my stuff, but now what? Should I send in my transcripts, score reports, etc. to the schools or should I wait to hear from them first? Also, how long does it usually take for them to make their decision? I was wondering if I'll know anytime soon because I'm starting to apply to schools here too and I have to tell them my decision by a certain date (not sure when yet). Any advice? Thanks!
I would not send anything until they request it as they will either loose it or request some additional information on top of what you send! :)
The medical schools usually make their final decisions by April but you may be called for interview and receive decisions before then. UCAS will give you a date by which the universities have to make a decision about your application.

If you're applying to Cambridge you have these choices of college as a post-grad reading for medicine on the standard course:

Wolfson
St. Edmund's
Lucy Cavendish (Women only)

The graduate course only accepts "home" students. Sending a cold application to St. John's will look bad, as it will be obvious that you haven't done the appropriate preparation: try sorting this out now if you can.