Advice for applying to an American EM residency as a medical student from French Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Djcrzy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Quebec and study at a pretty unknown french university. I'm going into my third year and just got back my Step 1 scores: 240. Next step is to start researching programs.

After giving it a lot of thought, I've decided to apply to EM programs in the states. I am not picky as to what city I want to live in but I must admit that I have a slight preference for warmer climates (after having lived through the brutal Quebecois winters for my whole life...). I just want to make sure I consider the "right" programs. By "right" I am referring to two things:

1) I want a good program. I have heard that, unlike Canada, there is quite some variability in terms of the quality of the training received in American residencies. I want to make sure I only consider programs that will train me to be the best ER Doc I can be.

2) If possible, I want to know what programs have a tendency to accept students like myself. I know that I don't fall into the category of a typical American grad nor am I considered an international medical graduate. So, have you guys ever heard of any programs typically more open to accepting Canadian students? I would obviously target these programs and do an elective there.

In conclusion, I need help. Any advice that I can get, whether it be related to my above concerns or not, will be greatly appreciated. Constructive criticism is even better if you believe some of what I have said is wrong.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge, all Canadian med schools are LCME accredited. This is the same as all US MD schools, so, as far as that, you're same same. However, if you need a visa, that's a different thing. And, si vous êtes de la Universitaire Laval, il est peu probable que personne sait rien à tout de votre école.

Je regrette, mais, c'est la verité.

As such, it could be quite a conversation point. I don't know if you're a chick or a dude, but chicks dig the accent.

To my knowledge, all Canadian med schools are LCME accredited. This is the same as all US MD schools, so, as far as that, you're same same. However, if you need a visa, that's a different thing. And, si vous êtes de la Universitaire Laval, il est peu probable que personne sait rien à tout de votre école.

Je regrette, mais, c'est la verité.

As such, it could be quite a conversation point. I don't know if you're a chick or a dude, but chicks dig the accent.

Thank you for the info. I think I do need a visa as I am not an american citizen. Is that going to be a problem you think?

Et ben oui je viens de l'Université Laval. If you are saying that nobody has ever heard of Laval in the states, that was kind of my assumption as I have even met some Canadians that haven't heard of my Uni ;)

And I am a dude by the way haha!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also I think the thing about varying qualities of residencies is less so in EM. At least that's what the company line is.

Word of advice: go family medicine with a low OB track and complete a EM fellowship.

The reason for this is that Canadian EM residencies are five years long and US ones are three to four. If you come here and do a US EM residency you will find that you won't be able to go back to BC or Alberta at all, you will b able to go to Ontario or Saskatchewan under an alternative pathway, you will never be able to be FRCP.

You can still go back and practice, and believe me given what has happened to EM in the United States you will want to to.