This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsl8va

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am looking to apply to medical school, but am a bit conflicted about my timeline.

I am 28 years old with an undergrad in Econ at a top public school with cGPA of 3.75 and slightly higher science GPA, albeit with lower level science courses. I served in the Army for about 5 years after college and am looking to shift into medicine after I recently separated. I currently work as an EMT at a level 1 trauma center and am looking to start pre-med requirements this summer.

So, my dilemma. I have 0 pre-reqs under my belt and plan on taking classes in the following order:

Summer 2020:
  • Gen Chem I
  • Gen Chem II
Fall 2020:
  • Biology I
  • Orgo Chem I
  • Physics I
Spring 2021:
  • Biology II
  • Orgo Chem II
  • Physics II
  • MCAT prep and take MCAT around March
Summer 2021:
  • Apply to schools
How realistic is this plan? Am I overreaching? My biggest concern is taking the MCAT with little exposure to biochem outside of self study. Would you recommend I take another year to take upper level courses and study longer for the MCAT? I think I'll have a better idea if I'm prepared or not come next spring, but I wanted to hear from other students who may have successfully completed something similar, or attempted this and have lessons learned.

Bonus question - Do you have time after interviews to travel? Ideally I'd like to take an accelerated paramedic course or take a wilderness course with NOLS.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I am looking to apply to medical school, but am a bit conflicted about my timeline.

I am 28 years old with an undergrad in Econ at a top public school with cGPA of 3.75 and slightly higher science GPA, albeit with lower level science courses. I served in the Army for about 5 years after college and am looking to shift into medicine after I recently separated. I currently work as an EMT at a level 1 trauma center and am looking to start pre-med requirements this summer.

So, my dilemma. I have 0 pre-reqs under my belt and plan on taking classes in the following order:

Summer 2020:
  • Gen Chem I
  • Gen Chem II
Fall 2020:
  • Biology I
  • Orgo Chem I
  • Physics I
Spring 2021:
  • Biology II
  • Orgo Chem II
  • Physics II
Summer 2021:
  • Apply to schools
How realistic is this plan? Am I overreaching? My biggest concern is taking the MCAT with little exposure to biochem outside of self study. Would you recommend I take another year to take upper level courses and study longer for the MCAT? I think I'll have a better idea if I'm prepared or not come next spring, but I wanted to hear from other students who may have successfully completed something similar, or attempted this and have lessons learned.

Bonus question - Do you have time after interviews to travel? Ideally I'd like to take an accelerated paramedic course or take a wilderness course with NOLS.

Thank you!
You should plan on taking biochem since more and more schools seem to be requiring it.

See where you are with MCAT prep next spring. If it looks like you're ready then take it, if not, then push it back. There's no need to rush anything.

There's plenty of time for travel after interviews, but keep in mind that the med school interview season is long and you might be getting interviews into Feb/March depending on where you apply.

Personally, I would take my time and wait another year to see how this whole Step 1 P/F thing works out for the first few classes.

Reactions: 1 user
You should plan on taking biochem since more and more schools seem to be requiring it.

See where you are with MCAT prep next spring. If it looks like you're ready then take it, if not, then push it back. There's no need to rush anything.

There's plenty of time for travel after interviews, but keep in mind that the med school interview season is long and you might be getting interviews into Feb/March depending on where you apply.

Personally, I would take my time and wait another year to see how this whole Step 1 P/F thing works out for the first few classes.

Oh I didn't even consider how the P/F Step 1 would change certain programs. Yeah other people have told me to take biochem and that 2-3 months of MCAT study is ideal (outside of other major commitments like school). Ideally I'd run with a longer plan, but I just feel antsy since I'm already nearing 30...

But yes, the plan you wrote out was the one that I had in mind. Spring timeframe will be a huge decision point where I'll either go forward with the MCAT or take another year to study/take upper level classes/travel do whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a good plan. I'd suggest looking at a formal post-bac program for career-changers, as these programs could have linkages that would allow for you to matriculate into medical school a year earlier.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Summer 2020:
  • Gen Chem I
  • Gen Chem II
Fall 2020:
  • Biology I
  • Orgo Chem I
  • Physics I
Spring 2021:
  • Biology II
  • Orgo Chem II
  • Physics II
Summer 2021:
  • Apply to schools

Thank you!
Do NOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready. Suggest taking at end of May or early June. You do not have to apply on 6/1. Even an MCAT exam date of early August will be fine.

Timeline otherwise is fine, but you will also need Biochem for the MCAT as well.

Apply when you have the best possible app. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Many thanks for your service. Hooooahh!

It's a good plan. I'd suggest looking at a formal post-bac program for career-changers, as these programs could have linkages that would allow for you to matriculate into medical school a year earlier.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Agree 100%. Another benefit is that these programs have advising.

I would not try taking 3 sciences courses (plus labs) and studying for the MCAT. Like others have said, take biochem, preferably before the MCAT., as a good portion of the MCAT utilizes biochem - sure you do get some parts from ochem, biology, etc, but the course is helpful.

Reactions: 1 user

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

That would ideally be nice, but that doesn't really work with my situation... it's also vastly more expensive. If my undergrad gpa was weaker I would highly consider it, but I believe I can get this done on my own.

Do NOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready. Suggest taking at end of May or early June. You do not have to apply on 6/1. Even an MCAT exam date of early August will be fine.

Timeline otherwise is fine, but you will also need Biochem for the MCAT as well.

Apply when you have the best possible app. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Many thanks for your service. Hooooahh!

Do you think I can self teach myself Biochem with a prep book? I didn't realize I could take the MCAT so late in the application cycle.

I would not try taking 3 sciences courses (plus labs) and studying for the MCAT. Like others have said, take biochem, preferably before the MCAT., as a good portion of the MCAT utilizes biochem - sure you do get some parts from ochem, biology, etc, but the course is helpful.

So you would personally recommend I take an additional year to take biochem as well as study for the MCAT?

So you would personally recommend I take an additional year to take biochem as well as study for the MCAT?

To ensure a *likely* better outcome on the MCAT, yes. Many people have self-taught themselves the biochem info for the MCAT, so you can go that path. Having a class helps for asking questions and getting clarification. It's probably best taking an extra year to give you the time to excel in your classes and then study for the MCAT. You know yourself best. Also, depending on how you feel classes are going, you can alter your plan as needed. It's better to take an extra year and develop a great app the first time vs having to reapply. If you plan to work a significant amount of time while in school, the extra year definitely makes more sense. It will also give you a chance to do more community service, shadowing, and possibly research.

Reactions: 1 users
To ensure a *likely* better outcome on the MCAT, yes. Many people have self-taught themselves the biochem info for the MCAT, so you can go that path. Having a class helps for asking questions and getting clarification. It's probably best taking an extra year to give you the time to excel in your classes and then study for the MCAT. You know yourself best. Also, depending on how you feel classes are going, you can alter your plan as needed. It's better to take an extra year and develop a great app the first time vs having to reapply. If you plan to work a significant amount of time while in school, the extra year definitely makes more sense. It will also give you a chance to do more community service, shadowing, and possibly research.

I agree. Your schedule looks too tight, but at the end of the day only you would know if you can pull it off. Maybe start the schedule this summer and tailor it as warranted allowing yourself a gap year as a plan B.