USMLE Advice for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Federico

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am a MD from Argentina, specialized in fetal medicine. I will move to US in a couple of month to work as a researcher in the NIH.
I started to study for USMLE step 1 because maybeI will try to do the residency again in US. It is really hard for someone like me, who studied these topics more than 15 years ago!! (I am 40).
So the question is....take in consideration the last news about pass/fail for step 1 in 2022

Should I keep studying for step 1, and then step 2 CK and CS, or should I change my strategy and start to study for step 2 CK (which is easier for me because of the topics) and leave step 1 to take it after 2022???

Thanks in advance for your advices!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone
I am a MD from Argentina, specialized in fetal medicine. I will move to US in a couple of month to work as a researcher in the NIH.
I started to study for USMLE step 1 because maybeI will try to do the residency again in US. It is really hard for someone like me, who studied these topics more than 15 years ago!! (I am 40).
So the question is....take in consideration the last news about pass/fail for step 1 in 2022

Should I keep studying for step 1, and then step 2 CK and CS, or should I change my strategy and start to study for step 2 CK (which is easier for me because of the topics) and leave step 1 to take it after 2022???

Thanks in advance for your advices!

IDK if you can take step 2 before step 1 lol...always 1 before 2 as far as I know...or you should wait until they change step 1 to P/F to take it...that is 2 years form now...and like you said you are 40...plus they are not 100% will change in 2022...so maybe later...Plus from what I read, it is better if you have two good scores or two chances to do well...You don't know for sure if you will do well on step 2CK...so may as well try to do well on step 1 AND step 2...that will look better..

I am an old IMG with 10 years of graduation and wondering how to increase the probability of getting matched into Internal Medicine. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you