Advice for a Third Year (who just discovered PM&R)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibntempest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I've recently discovered/become interested in PM&R (currently a third year at a DO school). From my brief research I understand that PM&R is becoming more competitive.

My preclinical grades were a bit less than average shall we say, but I did decent on boards (234 USMLE and 616 COMLEX). And have gotten high passes/honors in my rotations so far. Would I be competitive at this point given I haven't done anything PM&R-related yet?

Other than trying to get a rotation/LOR from a PM&R doc, do you have any advice/guidance on what I should be doing at this point to make myself more competitive for a PM&R residency?

And any good resources to learn more about the specialty?

thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

No one gives a damn about anyone's pre-clinical grades. You're an above-average applicant.
Do a PM&R rotation, get your letters, and you'll be just fine.

If you want, you can try and do research, but you really don't have to.

If you want, you can try away rotations, but you really don't have to.

Reactions: 1 users
My medical school didn't have a true PMR department (we have a couple amazing PMR doctors but they specialize in one portion of the wide field) and I didn't really have any exposure until 4th year when I ended up doing 4 PMR rotations (1 outpatient MSK, 1 in/out patient peds, 1 with 50% inpatient 50% mixed outpatient (TBI/SCI/Amputee/NMD/MSK) and 1 with 95% inpatient. I'm pretty happy I did each of them as I feel I got a good overview of the field and felt more comfortable devoting my future to this field of medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your grades will be strong enough...just don't fail your step 2s.

Work toward acquiring LORs. You will need one PM&R (at minimum)...and two others.

I would try to get involved in extracurriculars such as volunteer and research. Research doesn't have to be a major publication...just something to show you are willing.

Auditions are helpful...but not necessary. I would get started on researching programs and find your top choice (on paper) that you have a good shot to match to. There are a few programs that still discriminate against DOs...avoid rotations to those programs.

There are a few programs that still discriminate against DOs...avoid rotations to those programs.

Would you mind listing the ones you know of that still discriminate? That is if you can think of any off the top of your head...Thanks :)

I have created a spreadsheet with tons of program information. PM me after match day and its yours.

Reactions: 2 users