This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sambarcenaa

Reaction score
I'm graduating this summer, Long story short I'm going to do a program for dental assisting which is 10 months long, and then start my studies for dentistry. My question is if it's worth it to work as a dental assistant during dental school(Saturday and/or Sunday). I live in California and in my area assistants get paid $20+ per hr.
I definitely feel that If I stop working as an assistant when I enter dental school, my certificate would've been like meh, because theoretically, I would have only worked 4 years as that. (I got into a scholarship that pays for this dental assisting program so I wouldn't lose money)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lol. Focus on one thing at a time. You’re worrying about something that’s not really meaningful in the grand scheme of things. Plus it’s hard to give any practical advice for a hypothetical situation 5 years from now.

Get into dental school then post again.

Assisting is good for experience and observation opportunity

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm graduating this summer, Long story short I'm going to do a program for dental assisting which is 10 months long, and then start my studies for dentistry. My question is if it's worth it to work as a dental assistant during dental school(Saturday and/or Sunday). I live in California and in my area assistants get paid $20+ per hr.
I definitely feel that If I stop working as an assistant when I enter dental school, my certificate would've been like meh, because theoretically, I would have only worked 4 years as that. (I got into a scholarship that pays for this dental assisting program so I wouldn't lose money)

Thank you :)
Great plan! I would focus on getting through the dental assisting program for now. You will then have to complete an undergraduate degree and then apply to dental school.

Being a dental assistant will greatly help you when in dental school and when you become a dentist. You don't have to stop working in dental school and you can certainly continue though you may change your mind on how you want to spend your free time at that point :)

So you’re doing dental assisting for 10 months, then plan on doing that AND full time college? Why even do the dental assisting program?

Assuming you didn’t get into a university, go to a local community college and use the money you were going to pay for dental assisting school to go towards some CC classes. Do that for a year or 2 and you can get into a bunch of UC schools (I’m from California too so I know the deal) much much easier. UC schools have programs set up at community colleges that enables you to get in much easier after a 2 years at the community college.

After you graduate from college in 4 years, then I think you should be posting on SDN and figuring things out. You have a lot to do to get to that point

Your 4 year bs degree will also likely be a "meh". Do keep in mind that there are few dental offices that are open 7 days a week, not to mention that, while you can work weekends during dental school, you will soon suffer from burn out.

So you’re doing dental assisting for 10 months, then plan on doing that AND full time college? Why even do the dental assisting program?

Assuming you didn’t get into a university, go to a local community college and use the money you were going to pay for dental assisting school to go towards some CC classes. Do that for a year or 2 and you can get into a bunch of UC schools (I’m from California too so I know the deal) much much easier. UC schools have programs set up at community colleges that enables you to get in much easier after a 2 years at the community college.

After you graduate from college in 4 years, then I think you should be posting on SDN and figuring things out. You have a lot to do to get to that point
The program is in a community college, I didn't want to into detail about why I chose the program first but basically, I have no work experience, my parents are over the age of 60 and I need to demonstrate to them that I have a way to support myself at least a bit because I know they want to go back to Mexico, also, If I ever specialize I can see what It is like, but yea I was planning on sticking w cc until I transfer (so 3 years from now?) sorry if it's a bit wordy

Great plan! I would focus on getting through the dental assisting program for now. You will then have to complete an undergraduate degree and then apply to dental school.

Being a dental assistant will greatly help you when in dental school and when you become a dentist. You don't have to stop working in dental school and you can certainly continue though you may change your mind on how you want to spend your free time at that point :)
Thank youuuuu

Hey Sam,

When you start taking classes in undergrad, FOCUS on getting A's!!!! Do NOT jeopardize your grades for the sake of work. The dental assisting experience will be GREAT!!! However, GPA and DAT are the numbers that will open doors for you when you apply to dental school, especially when the competition among applicants is increasing each year.

Don't worry about working as a dental assistant while you're in dental school. I have been working as a dental assistant for the past five years (during undergrad) and I will stop working when I start dental school. The curriculum is already crazy hectic I won't have time to work and study haha. Besides, it's unheard of to work while being in dental school. So don't worry about that right now.

Again, when you start taking college classes, you need to get A's. Find a comfortable balance between work and college! (don't burnout). If you have any questions lmk!

Hey Sam,

When you start taking classes in undergrad, FOCUS on getting A's!!!! Do NOT jeopardize your grades for the sake of work. The dental assisting experience will be GREAT!!! However, GPA and DAT are the numbers that will open doors for you when you apply to dental school, especially when the competition among applicants is increasing each year.

Don't worry about working as a dental assistant while you're in dental school. I have been working as a dental assistant for the past five years (during undergrad) and I will stop working when I start dental school. The curriculum is already crazy hectic I won't have time to work and study haha. Besides, it's unheard of to work while being in dental school. So don't worry about that right now.

Again, when you start taking college classes, you need to get A's. Find a comfortable balance between work and college! (don't burnout). If you have any questions lmk!

I mostly agree with your points, esp about getting those A's.

Just wanted to add in it is definitely not unheard of to work in dental school. I've been working 20-30 hours a week since D2. Currently at 35-40 hr/week or so in my D4 year. Definitely possible, its just a little more difficult. You will have to make sacrifices that may or may not be worth it though.

I do not make much $$ from my job but I legitimately love it so it doesn't matter much to me.

I mostly agree with your points, esp about getting those A's.

Just wanted to add in it is definitely not unheard of to work in dental school. I've been working 20-30 hours a week since D2. Currently at 35-40 hr/week or so in my D4 year. Definitely possible, its just a little more difficult. You will have to make sacrifices that may or may not be worth it though.

I do not make much $$ from my job but I legitimately love it so it doesn't matter much to me.
That's awesome!! What uni are you attending? Do you get to perform a dentist's procedures such extractions or fillings as an assistant/dental student?

That's awesome!! What uni are you attending? Do you get to perform a dentist's procedures such extractions or fillings as an assistant/dental student?
Yup you have to do fillings/extractions as a dental student!

My job however is a non-dental related field and is just something I purely enjoy.