advice for a down and out pre-osteopath

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mofuturedoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 21 years old, and have completed 2 years of undergrad. I have a 3.8 gpa. I have a pre-med major with exc. like retractor holding at a local hospital. My dream is to become an ostiopathic physician, specializing in family medicine. My problem is after completing this fall semester my grandmother became very ill. She is 86 and lives at home with my mother. This has stressed me very much, and my mother needed me to stay at home and help take care of her, therefore I did not go back to school for the spring semester. I have been very stressed out about the situation. I do not know how long she will be ill for, but our family is very close and I would not leave her side for anything in this world. Before I started under grad I worked at a local funeral home and became fairly interested in mortuary science, so to prevent the thought of spending this time at home unproductive, I enrolded in pitsburgh institute of mortuary science on-line program, which will alow me to gain my embaling and funeral directors licens in a year and a half from my computer. I plan to return to my undergrad after the completion of the mortuary science degree, and eventualy apply to osteopath school. My question is, will an osteopathic school look down on the interuption of my undergrad? Will the mortuary science degree hurt, help, or effect an aceptance to school if i keep a very high gpa? Will my chances to get acepted stay the same, when I return to undergrad, as if I had never of had this interuption, as long as I keep the 3.8 and all of exc? Any advice would be very helpful. I am just trying to make a mature decision that will alow me to still grasp my dream. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had to defer applying for one year due to a car wreck and went through rehab for a spine and hip injury. Address it in your personal statement down the road and speak about it in your interview, if asked or bring it up if appropriate. As a third year I interview prospective students and I know none of the faculty or students would hold this against you. Obviously, it will show you are a caring and selfless person. Good luck in the future!

Nichole Taylor
MS 3 AZCOM

mofuturedoc,

I second the above statement. Certainly include that in your personal statement and as long as you maintain your GPA etc. I think you will be fine.

One suggestion is to call up a few of the schools you may have some interest in and simply ask them (not the secretary if you can avoid it) their opinion of your situation. They may suggest another approach you didnt think about. All it takes is a phone call or email.

Good Luck!:D

Seriously, you don't have anything to worry about. Do you honestly think a school would hold it against you for taking a semester off (for anything really), but especially for looking out for your family? If they did, would you really want to be a part of that particular program? If anything, it shows you are responsible and not self-centered. I would say this is a non-issue. Please don't worry so much about these things. Your grades are fine, and you're obviously motivated. 1.)Relax. 2.)Take this time off to focus on your family, and develop the other areas of your character. You're going to rely on a whole set of characteristics after you become a doctor. If you have time to volunteer or to shadow, then go ahead and do it. But please don't do it because you're worried about this time off. If I was an admissions committee, I'd be more interested in your ability to put others before your own interests during times of need. Good luck and relax!

-Aaron