Advice for a Brazilian MS interested in plastic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThiagoAraujo.MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like some advice on what to do next in terms of matching into a plastic surgery residency. I have read tons of threads on how unlikely it is for an IMG to match plastics integrated. I will post some of my background and would love some advice on what to do next! Thank you so much in advance

I am brazilian medical student currently in year 5 (out 0f 6).
I am on the top quartile of my class right now.
I have 3 papers published on the brazilian journal of plastic surgery + 1 on PRS GO + other papers in some smaller brazilian journals.
I do have a lot of papers presented in conferences all around brazil in different subjects (most on medical education and cardiovascular surgery).
I was sponsored by the brazilian government to study one year in the US:
I did two semesters in Saint Louis University (got A on all the classes I took, including some on their anatomy Masters program and passed two of their 2nd year medical school modules)
During the summer I did about 4 months of research at BWH`s plastic surgery department which will result in 2 or 3 papers (hopefully PRS!!)
I passed ATLS while I was in the US.
I have a lot of extracurricular activities - I am the founder and former president of the PRS interest group in my university: I`ve organized several courses, seminars, practice sessions and coordinated electives for younger medical students.

Now I am preparing to apply for a general surgery program here in Brazil (we dont have integrated programs here)... Never took USMLE tests.

I would like advice on: should I do general surgery in brazil first? should I start doing USMLE already and try to match straight away in a Gsurgery program? Could I match on a competitive one so I could have a shot on Plastics later? Would I have a chance on a integrated PRS program? What about going all the way here in Brazil, finishing plastics here (5 years total) - would that help me match in the US?

Sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

...Now I am preparing to apply for a general surgery program here in Brazil (we dont have integrated programs here)... Never took USMLE tests.

I would like advice on: should I do general surgery in brazil first? should I start doing USMLE already and try to match straight away in a Gsurgery program? Could I match on a competitive one so I could have a shot on Plastics later? Would I have a chance on a integrated PRS program? What about going all the way here in Brazil, finishing plastics here (5 years total) - would that help me match in the US?

Sorry for the long post!
First things first, if you really want to pursue a residency in the US, you need to take the USMLE exams and do well.

Second things first:

1) what is your ultimate goal - to work here or in Brazil?

2) Brazil has an excellent reputation for plastic surgery, especially of the aesthetic type. What would the US offer that you could not get at home (without all the hassle)?

There is some bias in US training against surgeons trained outside of the country, as it can be hard to "break" habits ingrained elsewhere which may not mesh with the US style of teaching and practice. Therefore, students *tend* to be preferred although a well regarded international surgeon may be looked upon favorably. You should know that the doors to training in the US are closing; there are fewer spots left for non-US citizens trained outside of the US than ever before.

I think your chances in an Integrated PRS residency in the US are very slim; you would have a better chance in a GS residency but without having any information about USMLE scores, US clinical experience etc. it would be hard to say how competitive of a program you would match in.

Finally, I'm not sure that Harvard rotations are worth the money (what are they now - $3000/month?).

We can't tell your chances without USMLE scores, it's probably the most important part of your application.

Plenty of IMGs have gone through GS to plastics route in the past however that's becoming more rare as more and more programs becoming integrated. Integrated PRS is highly competitive and I don't know of any IMGs personally that have matched, I'm sure there are out there, I have never met them.

The only way to find out is to take the USMLE and apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.