Advice for 2nd half of med school to successfully match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliBalla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently finished my first 2 pre-clinical years (P/F system) at a top 40 west coast public school and received an even 260 on my Step 1 (hopefully this won't just be an average score by the time I apply!). I started Ortho research with the PD at my school in January of my first year and continued the project during the summer between 1st and 2nd year. So far this project has yielded 2 posters and a podium presentation I delivered at a WOA conference. Should be submitting the paper soon as 1st author and hoping it will be published by the time I apply for residency...I am wondering where I currently stand in terms of strength as an applicant and what I can do between now and when I apply to increase my odds of matching into a good ortho program.

Also, is it important to meet the Chairman of Ortho at my school? I'd assume it is since I hear some programs want a LOR from the Chairman, however how does one get to know their Chairman closely enough to get a strong LOR? I don't anticipate doing any research projects with him, and outside of meeting him or maybe shadowing him a few times, the thought of asking him for a LOR for a student he has only met a few times strikes me as odd...

A little bit more about myself: worked as an EMT for 4 years during college and trauma tech for 2 years after college where I worked really closely with the ortho residents on plenty of reductions and splinting at a level 1 trauma center (not sure if this info is relevant to residency apps, but I thought it might be unique experience); biomedical engineering background with quite a bit of undergrad research with companies, however no publications yet
icon_sad.gif

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO:
Honor your surgery clerkship. Try to get AOA if you can. Publish as much as possible.

Meet with your chairman. He'll probably write your letter using information about your work ethic and personality based on your sub-I early in your 4th year. It's a common requirement and he's probably written dozens.

Your EMT experience is not unique, but your engineering background will be looked upon favorably.

I think you're in great shape. You've shown interest in the field, you've made contacts within your home ortho department, and you rocked the boards. Your next step (no pun intended) will be to do what it takes to honor as many of your 3rd year clerkships as possible.

Your question about the chairman -- I think it's always a good thing to get to know people within the department. The chairman likely already knows about you because you've done so much work with the program director. I don't think there's any pressing need to meet, but I think it's great to show initiative and email his secretary to see if there's a time when you can introduce yourself and talk about your interest in the field at some point down the line.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys, it was helpful. Much appreciated!