Advice before test date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted767759

Hey everyone,

Im getting closer to my exam date which will be in about a month exactly. Ive used bootcamp a lot and made my own notes from bio academy and their 120 pg notes (didn't retain info from their set of 120 pg notes). Im starting the all practice tests they provide as well. HOWEVER, I have destroyer and math destroyer -- there are too many questions in there but I want to tackle all or most. Is it sufficient if I do the rest of bootcamp with Half or some of the destroyer? Is it crucial I do all the destroyer questions? My stronger areas are Bio - weaker areas are Q.R and G.C -- Good grasp on O.C

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get different responses, especially from those that adamantly support one resource over another, but personally, I'd do all the Bio questions in the Destroyer and the Math Destroyer, for sure, and understand them! I'd also do all the Bootcamp Bio and QR tests. From there, I'd do the GC questions in Destroyer, and then the OC tests from Bootcamp (because many have said that the OC section of Destroyer is overkill, plus you said you have a good grasp on OC already so just get your timing down by using BC). It's what I would do if I was in your shoes!

Honestly though, with a month, you could definitely finish each resource, like 2 weeks with BC and 2 weeks with Destroyer. Either way you choose, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I would strongly focus on knowing all of the problems in the DAT destroyer. I took the DAT twice and when I studied for it the second time I basically only did the destroyer and my scores went up in some areas by 5 with only about 2 months of studying. I would do 30-40 problems each day from each section and then review all the ones you got wrong. I made it through the Gen chem section 3 times and by the third time almost getting them all right. Come test day, the questions will all be formatted almost exactly the same and its basically just switching around the numbers. With a month left you should be be able to get through a lot of the problems which will set you up good.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree completely with @4thgen. You really need to complete the Destroyer in its entirety - no shortcuts. I would make that your absolute priority before using any other resource. GC and QR and really hammered down in the Destroyer and Math Destroyer, as with the rest of the subjects. I should show as proof of concept of their strength with my scores I think.

My advice: hammer down ALL of the Destroyer problems before it's too late. Math and general. They will build the foundation and let you really do well on the DAT. As it's been said many-a-time, no one does poorly using the Destroyers if they complete them. Also, please don't take the exam until you are confident. If you have to push it back, you should - it's better to take it once and score well than twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
No short cuts to a high DAT score, overkill means being well prepared to Destroy the DAT! #think30 and do not even think about taking the DAT until you are fully prepared.

No one knows exactly what will be on the DAT and all tests are different, so the only way to avoid a retake is to be very prepared. Retaking the DAT is something you want to avoid. Bottom line you have to be prepared for whatever can come your way.

Wishing you the best!

Nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree completely with @4thgen. You really need to complete the Destroyer in its entirety - no shortcuts. I would make that your absolute priority before using any other resource. GC and QR and really hammered down in the Destroyer and Math Destroyer, as with the rest of the subjects. I should show as proof of concept of their strength with my scores I think.

My advice: hammer down ALL of the Destroyer problems before it's too late. Math and general. They will build the foundation and let you really do well on the DAT. As it's been said many-a-time, no one does poorly using the Destroyers if they complete them. Also, please don't take the exam until you are confident. If you have to push it back, you should - it's better to take it once and score well than twice.
Thanks! great advice, I wasn't actually thinking of rescheduling , but after really thinking about it, I think its best for me since I still have destroyer to go through. How many times did you take the DAT if you don't mind sharing?

No short cuts to a high DAT score, overkill means being well prepared to Destroy the DAT! #think30 and do not even think about taking the DAT until you are fully prepared.

No one knows exactly what will be on the DAT and all tests are different, so the only way to avoid a retake is to be very prepared. Retaking the DAT is something you want to avoid. Bottom line you have to be prepared for whatever can come your way.

Wishing you the best!

Nancy
Ive heard many great things about Destroyer, hence why I may reschedule so I can go through all of it, thanks for the advice!

Thanks! great advice, I wasn't actually thinking of rescheduling , but after really thinking about it, I think its best for me since I still have destroyer to go through. How many times did you take the DAT if you don't mind sharing?

I took the DAT once. I went through the DAT Destroyers several times though to make entirely sure I would only take the actual test once.

You need to go over every single problem multiple times in both the DAT Destroyer and the Math Destroyer. How the product will help you is literally in the name - you will DESTROY the DAT - that is if you use the books properly. You need to understand all of the questions and answers in the books to be ready for anything that could pop up on your exam. You want to actually know the information, and not just guess on practice exam questions. I would go through both Destroyers at least 2 times before your exam. I actually pushed my exam back a few weeks, while at the time it seemed annoying, I felt like that extra time with the Destroyer books led me to success. I am now a dental student, and I couldn't be more happy I made the decision to focus on the Destroyer. I only took the exam once.

You need to go over every single problem multiple times in both the DAT Destroyer and the Math Destroyer. How the product will help you is literally in the name - you will DESTROY the DAT - that is if you use the books properly. You need to understand all of the questions and answers in the books to be ready for anything that could pop up on your exam. You want to actually know the information, and not just guess on practice exam questions. I would go through both Destroyers at least 2 times before your exam. I actually pushed my exam back a few weeks, while at the time it seemed annoying, I felt like that extra time with the Destroyer books led me to success. I am now a dental student, and I couldn't be more happy I made the decision to focus on the Destroyer. I only took the exam once.
That's awesome good for you! yes, same as you, I actually decided to reschedule my exam the day I posted this. I now feel like I can be more prepared and use the both destroyers to the best of my ability. I feel using them in conjunction with bootcamp will really prepare me. Do you have any advice on the Q.R? that is what I'm struggling with most -- even after I do a long very conceptual problem, I seem to still forget how to approach it