Advice: Am I competitive enough to get into MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dazed007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys :),
I was wondering if I could ask you guys how competitive I am to get into an MPH. I'm really hoping to get into a 1 year program outside of Chicago such as Columbia, Harvard, or elsewhere...but I'm concerned because I don't really have any work experience in the public health field. I am a second year med student but I took a year off between my first and second year just to relax and I'm concerned that I don't really have the experience they are looking for. I'm also worried my verbal score will keep me from getting into certain programs.

my stats:

Undergrad: Northwestern - Biology Major
GPA: 3.94 MCAT 31Q V: 7 P: 11 B: 13
Med school: M2 currently at University of Illinois at Chicago

I figure I have 8 months until I apply to the program but I'm not sure what I should do to get recs and also what kind of experiences will help supplement an interest in international health and public health. Any suggestions or feedback would be really appreciated :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dazed007 said:
I was wondering if I could ask you guys how competitive I am to get into an MPH. I'm really hoping to get into a 1 year program outside of Chicago such as Columbia, Harvard, or elsewhere...but I'm concerned because I don't really have any work experience in the public health field. I am a second year med student but I took a year off between my first and second year just to relax and I'm concerned that I don't really have the experience they are looking for. I'm also worried my verbal score will keep me from getting into certain programs.

my stats:

I figure I have 8 months until I apply to the program but I'm not sure what I should do to get recs and also what kind of experiences will help supplement an interest in international health and public health. Any suggestions or feedback would be really appreciated :)

Thanks!

you must not have read other topics on this forum, . . . you're fine.

the only thing hurting you is work experience, it will probably only hurt at Harvard, as I graduated college a year early so I had absolutely no work experience, and had no trouble getting into the better schools. My GPA wasn't as good as yours, I took GRE so it's hard to compare that to MCAT.

you are a medical student and you took a year off between 1st and 2nd to relax, and know you are gonna take another year off to do the MPH?? Im a 4th year medical student and I dont think admissions comittee for residency would like to see an applicant take two years off, although the year where you would be doing an MPH is fine, but you should have a good reason of why you wanted to do a MPH during med school.

Post this in the residency forum to see if people agree that is a bad idea to take two years off during medical school.

You migth hurt your chances when residency application time comes by.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes ... competitive at any of those programs.

dazed007 said:

my stats:

Thanks!

Great! Thanks for the feedback :)