Advice about Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateKiss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm starting med school at the end of the summer, and I am pretty sure that I want to go into either derm or rad onc. I'm pretty torn between these two specialties and think it may take me a while to choose between them.

Because I know that these specialties are very competitive, I want to get started with research right away (or at least start looking for good mentors). However, I was wondering if you had advice for which field I should start doing research in.

Would it be better to go into derm with rad onc research or rad onc with derm research?

Thanks for the advice,

ChocolateKiss

Members don't see this ad.

It really doesn't matter. I would suggest looking at the list of available projects and just picking one that seems interesting to you.

Your interest in either derm or rad onc is likely to change once you reach 3rd year so it isn't a good idea to pick a project based on a field. Pick a project that interests you so when it comes time for interviews, you'll be able to enthusiastically explain what you did and who you did it with.

If by chance you happen to do a derm research project and ultimately end up deciding to go for derm, that'll help! But it certainly wouldn't hurt if you did rad onc research instead but were still able to articulately explain why it interested you at the time and what you did specifically during that summer!

From what I understand there are tons of successful derm applicants whose majority of research has been non-derm.

Members don't see this ad :)
potato51 said:
From what I understand there are tons of successful derm applicants whose majority of research has been non-derm.

Wow, thanks. I was under the impression that they like you to show an early interest in derm and do research in that area. If all research is equivalent, that would take the pressure of me making a decision right away about my intended field...

Yup...it depends from one program director to another.

Some would prefer an early interest in derm. But honestly, no one expects you to have your decision made during the 1st summer of med school. As long as you do some research, I think it would be a summer that was well spent!

ChocolateKiss said:
Wow, thanks. I was under the impression that they like you to show an early interest in derm and do research in that area. If all research is equivalent, that would take the pressure of me making a decision right away about my intended field...
I still think it's important to try derm research in MS 3 or 4, maybe get a case report or two published even. Most derm hopefuls seem to be interested in derm not-so-coincidentally right after they learn that their class rank and step 1 scores make them competitive, and program directors are onto that. But I think PD's are more impressed by the quality of research you performed than what area you did it in (though quality derm research is your best bet!).

The early interest in derm is also key! It's best to get to know the PD of your home department (if you have one) so if you do decide that you like derm or want to do some derm research, it won't be the first time that you are bugging him/her!