MPH [Advice] 2 year MPH vs. 1 year accelerated MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc055

Reaction score
Hi there! Looking for advice from folks who have had a similar dilemma or have received their degree already.

I am trying to decide if going back for 2 years to a more prestigious school (Emory) vs. one year for an accelerated program (Northwestern - good reputation but not necessarily in PH) is worth it.

I have plenty of 'soft' skills from 5 years of post-grad experience (public speaking, project management, etc.), but I am lacking hard skills that would allow me to go down a different path (biostats, finance, policy analysis). I am hoping a MPH would give me a chance to explore more of a policy-focused or program management role. School costs would be about the same, but It makes me sick to think about the opportunity cost of being out of the workforce for an extra year (I would be working part-time and would estimate forgoing somewhere around $50-70k in wages).

Is it REALLY worth it to go to a program like Emory when I already have an understanding of what it's like to be in the workforce, how to network, etc.? Is the alumni network really going to be that great and worth the extra cost? I currently live in Chicago but don't want to stay here forever, but I also have no ties to Atlanta (could see myself in the Southeast eventually though). I would really appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation when I applied-- 6 years out of undergrad, plenty of soft skills from my original career, etc.

While I can't say this was the easiest financial choice due to the opportunity cost factor, I am SO GLAD I did a 2 year program over a 1 or even 1.5 year program. I've had the time to identify, develop, and refine quantitative, programming, and research skills that will be immensely helpful going forward and more time to make meaningful connections with colleagues, mentors, etc. I'd also say that since Northwestern doesn't have a reputation in the public health world, Emory's name and alumni network would make a difference.

I think 1 year accelerated programs are really great for people who are already in the field (or adjacent fields, like medical doctors). But if you're basically a career changer like I was, that's not enough time to learn a whole new field.

From my observation, on the one hand, a greater percentage of graduates from reputable programs land competitive jobs, fellowships, etc. which sets them up for faster career growth. At the same time, I see people hold the same jobs in the same company, even though one went to a prestigious school and the other did not. I think it comes down to your career goals and how competitive you feel you are.

Personally, I would go for the less expensive 1-year at Northwestern option. I'd only pick Emory if I wanted to work at the CDC or live in the area.