Advantages to Delay OBGYN job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DomoDomo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like most 4th year OBGYN residents I finish this June. Seems to me that delaying my job search might actually present more opportunities as I won't be competing with all the other residents who are finishing at the same time. Health insurance will be more expensive - private or COBRA, and the issue of explaining what I have been up to between say June and October, other than these two drawbacks, anyone have any thoughts/experience on the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Like most 4th year OBGYN residents I finish this June. Seems to me that delaying my job search might actually present more opportunities as I won't be competing with all the other residents who are finishing at the same time. Health insurance will be more expensive - private or COBRA, and the issue of explaining what I have been up to between say June and October, other than these two drawbacks, anyone have any thoughts/experience on the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks!

I probably have no idea what I'm talking about since I'm still in medical school, but logically it seems like this plan would put you in a worse spot. Rather than competing with everyone else for the best spots, the other finishing residents will take them all before you even apply. Unless something new/better opens up after the graduate rush, wouldn't you be stuck with the leftovers other people didn't want?

I probably have no idea what I'm talking about since I'm still in medical school, but logically it seems like this plan would put you in a worse spot. Rather than competing with everyone else for the best spots, the other finishing residents will take them all before you even apply. Unless something new/better opens up after the graduate rush, wouldn't you be stuck with the leftovers other people didn't want?

My thinking is that OBGYN jobs become available because doctors retire, die, or an organization wants to expand all of which can happen at any point during the year. So it seems to me that the fall, for example, might be a better time to be looking as demand outscrips supply. In spring I would imagine it is the opposite.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been a residency coordinator for many years and in three specialties and I have never, ever heard of a resident putting off a job search. Your thinking does not make sense. I have heard of residents getting a job and then not starting for 1-2 months just to take a break after residency. Maybe if you are looking at private practice, then you can start any time of the year, but I would think academic institutions would want you to start between July and August. I think you need to talk to some faculty and get their opinions, unless financially you can go without a job for months.

I second residencycoord's opinion. Asides from giving you freedom during those months without a commitment, I see absolutely no benefit to putting off your search (unless, of course, you need it for "mental health" reasons). Remember that bills will continue to pile up and those pesky loans still need to be paid.
Since most jobs become available to new graduates around the times of their graduation, you would be limiting your job pool to those "off cycle" opportunities, which, usually are not as numerous nor as good (subjective opinion varies, course). Not to mention, if you wait, you will be mostly competing against experienced (and often times board certified) practitioners who are looking for something new. Thusly, you will likely get "passed over" in favor of experience and certification status.
Keep on searching and don't stop until you find something you like! If you wait, you will in essence be playing a game of Russian Roulette where the odds are not in your favor. Not a good thing to be doing at the beginning of your career. Good luck with your search.