Advantages of SDN posts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MShopes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone think they actually get advantage of SDN posts by actually answering questions and seeing answers of other individuals? Don't you guys think you actually study by seeing these posts of questions and answers? And lastly, doesn't it help you refresh some concepts or go back to the review book to review concepts you forgot by looking at a question that you don't know how to answer from other posters here?

I think by looking at these questions and answers, I actually study and learn and see where I'm strong at and where I'm weak at!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing's better than the official AAMC exams, seriously.:)

AAMC EXAMS
38 So foul and fair a day I have not seen.
SDN MCAT Q and A
39 How far is't call'd to Forres? — What are these
40 So wither'd and so wild in their attire,
41 That look not like the inhabitants o' the earth,
42 And yet are on't? Live you? or are you aught
43 That man may question? You seem to understand me,
44 By each at once her choppy finger laying
45 Upon her skinny lips: you should be women,
46 And yet your beards forbid me to interpret
47 That you are so.
AAMC Exams
Speak, if you can: what are you?
First Witch
48 All hail, Practice Tests! hail to thee, Thane of Emory!
Second Witch
49 All hail, Practice Tests, hail to thee, Thane of Johns Hopkins!
Third Witch
50 All hail, Practice Tests, thou shalt be king hereafter!
SDN MCAT Q and A
51 Good sir, why do you start, and seem to fear
52 Things that do sound so fair? — I' the name of truth,
53 Are ye fantastical, or that indeed
54 Which outwardly ye show? My noble partner
55 You greet with present grace and great prediction
56 Of noble having and of royal hope,
57 That he seems rapt withal; to me you speak not.
58 If you can look into the seeds of time,
59 And say which grain will grow and which will not,
60 Speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear
61 Your favours nor your hate.
First Witch
62 Hail!
Second Witch
63 Hail!
Third Witch
64 Hail!
First Witch
65 Lesser than Practice Tests, and greater.
Second Witch
66 Not so happy, yet much happier.
Third Witch
67 Thou shalt get kings, though thou be none:
68 So all hail, AAMC Practice Tests and SDN MCAT Q and A!
First Witch
69 AAMC Practice Tests and SDN MCAT Q and A, all hail!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing's better than the official AAMC exams, seriously.:)

I'm not comparing SDN posts to the AAMC exams....ofcourse AAMC exams are better and more representative but I just asked if anyone beside me think these posts on SDN are helpful in a way to tell you your weak areas and strong areas :rolleyes:

AAMC EXAMS
38 So foul and fair a day I have not seen.
SDN MCAT Q and A
39 How far is't call'd to Forres? — What are these
40 So wither'd and so wild in their attire,
41 That look not like the inhabitants o' the earth,
42 And yet are on't? Live you? or are you aught
43 That man may question? You seem to understand me,
44 By each at once her choppy finger laying
45 Upon her skinny lips: you should be women,
46 And yet your beards forbid me to interpret
47 That you are so.
AAMC Exams
Speak, if you can: what are you?
First Witch
48 All hail, Practice Tests! hail to thee, Thane of Emory!
Second Witch
49 All hail, Practice Tests, hail to thee, Thane of Johns Hopkins!
Third Witch
50 All hail, Practice Tests, thou shalt be king hereafter!
SDN MCAT Q and A
51 Good sir, why do you start, and seem to fear
52 Things that do sound so fair? — I' the name of truth,
53 Are ye fantastical, or that indeed
54 Which outwardly ye show? My noble partner
55 You greet with present grace and great prediction
56 Of noble having and of royal hope,
57 That he seems rapt withal; to me you speak not.
58 If you can look into the seeds of time,
59 And say which grain will grow and which will not,
60 Speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear
61 Your favours nor your hate.
First Witch
62 Hail!
Second Witch
63 Hail!
Third Witch
64 Hail!
First Witch
65 Lesser than Practice Tests, and greater.
Second Witch
66 Not so happy, yet much happier.
Third Witch
67 Thou shalt get kings, though thou be none:
68 So all hail, AAMC Practice Tests and SDN MCAT Q and A!
First Witch
69 AAMC Practice Tests and SDN MCAT Q and A, all hail!

MCAT version of MacBeth...I sense an English major with a lot of time on his hands :sleep:

aamc exams
38 so foul and fair a day i have not seen.
sdn mcat q and a
39 how far is't call'd to forres? — what are these
40 so wither'd and so wild in their attire,
41 that look not like the inhabitants o' the earth,
42 and yet are on't? Live you? Or are you aught
43 that man may question? You seem to understand me,
44 by each at once her choppy finger laying
45 upon her skinny lips: You should be women,
46 and yet your beards forbid me to interpret
47 that you are so.
aamc exams
speak, if you can: What are you?
first witch
48 all hail, practice tests! Hail to thee, thane of emory!
second witch
49 all hail, practice tests, hail to thee, thane of johns hopkins!
third witch
50 all hail, practice tests, thou shalt be king hereafter!
sdn mcat q and a
51 good sir, why do you start, and seem to fear
52 things that do sound so fair? — i' the name of truth,
53 are ye fantastical, or that indeed
54 which outwardly ye show? My noble partner
55 you greet with present grace and great prediction
56 of noble having and of royal hope,
57 that he seems rapt withal; to me you speak not.
58 if you can look into the seeds of time,
59 and say which grain will grow and which will not,
60 speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear
61 your favours nor your hate.
first witch
62 hail!
second witch
63 hail!
third witch
64 hail!
first witch
65 lesser than practice tests, and greater.
second witch
66 not so happy, yet much happier.
third witch
67 thou shalt get kings, though thou be none:
68 so all hail, aamc practice tests and sdn mcat q and a!
first witch
69 aamc practice tests and sdn mcat q and a, all hail!

lmao!

Bah, they're all meaning and no plot. If I wanted to find meaning I'd buy a pack of fortune cookies.

LMAO! I find them to be very interesting however...each one got their opinion but after all, I wish the MCAT was anywhere like shakespeare's stories...I would have nailed that beast!

LMAO! I find them to be very interesting however...each one got their opinion but after all, I wish the MCAT was anywhere like shakespeare's stories...I would have nailed that beast!

I don't find any of the stories relevant. They paint such an unrealistic view of the world. Even for that time period. Also would it have killed the guy to throw in some happy endings. The dude was such a downer.:)

I don't find any of the stories relevant. They paint such an unrealistic view of the world. Even for that time period. Also would it have killed the guy to throw in some happy endings. The dude was such a downer.:)

Many of the plays, even the majority, have happy endings. By the standard that all's well that ends well for Scotland, though maybe not for victorious Macduff whose family, wife, children and household had been slaughtered by Macbeth, or for Macbeth, whose head is paraded for the rabble's curse, even Macbeth has a happy ending. Macbeth is a play any moviegoer would love. It's the darkest, briefest, and most dramatically perfect of Shakespeare's plays, one of the greatest ten I know but you wouldn't say it's one of the ten happiest even.

There's are two great doctor and nurse characters, struggling to find their professional footing in a castle that is a vortex of evil, after Lady Macbeth begins to go insane, who would be a model of good deportment and self-preservation for any modern hospitalist or nurse.

If you can acclimate yourself to the diction which isn't so hard if you go to good live performances, with Shakespeare's most dramatically moving plays, where the action propels, not so much the figure or conceit, like in Midsummers, you have a dramatic progression strong like Star Wars A New Hope, where each scene, meeting Obiwan, the cantina, fighting off tie fighters with Hans, all the way to the Death Star, leads causatively and figuratively to greater and greater interest, depth and suspense.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can acclimate yourself to the diction which isn't so hard if you go to good live performances, with Shakespeare's most dramatically moving plays, where the action propels, not so much the figure or conceit, like in Midsummers, you have a dramatic progression strong like Star Wars A New Hope, where each scene, meeting Obiwan, the cantina, fighting off tie fighters with Hans, all the way to the Death Star, leads causatively and figuratively to greater and greater interest, depth and suspense.

But Star Wars has lightsabers, and to my uncultured mind that makes it so much better... XD

Many of the plays, even the majority, have happy endings. By the standard that all's well that ends well for Scotland, though maybe not for victorious Macduff whose family, wife, children and household had been slaughtered by Macbeth, or for Macbeth, whose head is paraded for the rabble's curse, even Macbeth has a happy ending. Macbeth is a play any moviegoer would love. It's the darkest, briefest, and most dramatically perfect of Shakespeare's plays, one of the greatest ten I know but you wouldn't say it's one of the ten happiest even.

There's are two great doctor and nurse characters, struggling to find their professional footing in a castle that is a vortex of evil, after Lady Macbeth begins to go insane, who would be a model of good deportment and self-preservation for any modern hospitalist or nurse.

That's the saddest happy ending I've ever heard.

MCAT version of MacBeth...I sense an English major with a lot of time on his hands :sleep:

Prolly just older so I have the benefit of having had time on my hands in my halcyon youth. Shakespeare has been on my mind for twenty years since I took a course from René Girard at Stanford about it. BA English 1992

Hwaet ich swefna cyst secgan wylle
Hwaet me gemette to mydre nytte

I can read friggin Anglo Saxon which is braggable.

Now I just use the poetry skills for country music lyrics, and my wife and I go to the Shakespeare Tavern which is the best date for under one hundred dollars in the city of Atlanta.

Here are some country music lyrics that are ten beat, basically two pentameter, lines at the end of I Lost My Drink And Now I'm Losing My Mind. All the reading years ago became a kind of grammar that helps a pretty good country music song to come along almost all by itself every month or so which gets me out playing music in town which is a lot of fun.

Maybe it's out by the shed where I found the moonlight after bedtime to be so kind
As to take my tears and turn them into hopes and dreams made of merlot wine
Feeling my way outside again I see the light is gone and I ain't feeling so fine
I ain't got much to say. I lost my drink and now I'm losing my mind.

Last edited:
Prolly just older so I have the benefit of having had time on my hands in my halcyon youth. Shakespeare has been on my mind for twenty years since I took a course from Renee Girard at Stanford about it. BA English 1992

Hwaet ich swefna cyst secgan wylle
Hwaet me gemette to mydre nytte

I can read friggin Anglo Saxon which is braggable.

Now I just use the poetry skills for country music lyrics, and my wife and I go to the Shakespeare Tavern which is the best date for under one hundred dollars in the city of Atlanta.

Here are some country music lyrics that are ten beat, basically two pentameter, lines at the end of I Lost My Drink And Now I'm Losing My Mind. All the reading years ago became a kind of grammar that helps a pretty good country music song to come along almost all by itself every month or so which gets me out playing music in town which is a lot of fun.

Maybe it's out by the shed where I found the moonlight after bedtime to be so kind
As to take my tears and turn them into hopes and dreams made of merlot wine
Feeling my way outside again I see the light is gone and I ain't feeling so fine
I ain't got much to say. I lost my drink and now I'm losing my mind.

Wow.

Can I also have some good poetry? I want some that will guarantee getting laid please :) :thumbup:

Wow.

Can I also have some good poetry? I want some that will guarantee getting laid please :) :thumbup:

The trouble is that most country lyrics are about loss or doubt, so the currency with women is pretty pathetic because most women prefer the paying the bills guy to the crying in the beer guy in point of fact. I've been writing an album about an extended family that flees Louisiana for Atlanta, so I've been thinking about a family I saw in a news cast and the husband's point of view. These might work for you if you put them away for a couple of decades.

We're sacrificial lambs of the levees and dams
Our fears and hopes have broken
Twenty five years is on a river of tears
Heading to the ocean

To me your love on the wings of a dove
Came across the waters
To me and you and our children three
sons and two daughters

Trust me dear I'm trying to steer
But it's like a fear of flying
The strip is near and the way ain't clear
I can't seem to find it

The snake swam across and said hey about your loss
I'll start you over again
With her I'll stay. To go back to our first day
Would not be a sin

Don't make up your mind. Don't try to be kind.
Don't say if you believe me
Our castle in the sky I still see it in your eyes
Please baby don't leave me

Lol guys, this thread was originally about advantages of SDN posts but then it changed to Macbeth and poetry. Those aren't going to give us answers on test day!

Lol guys, this thread was originally about advantages of SDN posts but then it changed to Macbeth and poetry. Those aren't going to give us answers on test day!

Don't underestimate what English majors can do on the playing field of Verbal Reasoning and the Writing Sample, which is to win. You could do worse than read or watch a cinematic version of Shakespeare every week as part of your Verbal Reasoning and Writing Sample preparatory program. Disgraced director Roman Polanski's Macbeth is really incredible, and all of the Lawrence Olivier performances are available. Shakespeare is the greatest author in English. Two or three plays you would have enough quotables to wow the essay graders. Read Harold Bloom and Renee Girard about Shakespeare, and you could learn to concentrate in the way of humanities, which will help you understand where VR and writing sample are coming from.

The more you concentrate, the deeper it gets very interestingly with Shakespeare. He's the best teacher for verbal reasoning and writing within any MCAT preparatory program. You can listen along at http://www.speak-the-speech.com/readings.htm to dramatic Shakespeare recordings while you browse all the pictures in your biology book or mechanisms in your organic book to train your mind to be a super processor of ultimate coherance 38+ R+ could be yours. To be or not to be. That is the question.

Richard II would probably fit this description too.

Richard II and Macbeth are parallel in a lot of ways. They are king murder plays. So is Julius Caesar. The corporeal body of the king and the spiritual body politic are forced to tragedy and sacrificial resolution. Macbeth has two king murders, and Richard II one. The murder of Duncan in Macbeth and the murder of Richard II are bloody or mishandled totemicly doomed murders but Macbeth having a second murder that is righteous. In both the king murder restores the body politic, but in Macbeth the impetus is mystical or mythopoeic while in Richard II it is Machiavellian.

In MCAT dialectical writing sample style, let's choose our antithesis to be the admission that by writing this comment as a three part thesis, antithesis, synthesis it it would improve it's direct value for the MCAT. Let the existence of this short paragraph provide it's own evidence.

In Richard II the ascension of Bolingbroke and his bloodless and clean disposition of Richard II, followed by a pious pilgramige, shows how Macbeth could have acted if he were a Macchiavelian instead of being on the insane route. Let me recommend reading Shakespeare through René Girard's ideas, whose work had a big influence on me generally being a close reading student of his in school http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/René_Girard He has an an anthropological and philosophical approach to Shakespeare criticism that can make the plays almost seem like a general guidebook to understanding a lot of what happens in the world.

For me, though the thing I love best about Shakespeare is his incredible language, the ideas and figures of his mind, and the appreciation of the poetic as something that goes down all the way through everyday life. Thanks for mentioning Richard II which I hadn't thought about in years. I'm bad about the history plays. Falstaff in the Henry IV plays - and Merry Wives of Windsor - is probably the realest flesh and blood human character in literature outside of Leopold Bloom or Updike's Rabbit maybe.