advantages/disadvantages of deans office seeing CAF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the last questions before I certify (which I'm seconds from doing) asks if I want my deans office to see my app...

um what? reasons why/why not?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

oh, I'm a DO student... we get to sooner because the internships open up apps July 15th I think...

so whats the dilly with our deans office seeing this stuff?

thanks

why NOT let the deans see it? our deans office has already gone over our CV in preparation for the MSPE, they know our transcript record, they know our Step scores. so basically they know everything we put on the CAF anyways.

as the inverse goes, if they already have our CV, grades, etc, why would they need to see our CAF?

All of my ID numbers, SS number, identification information to boot is there. I don't want Mr or Mrs Joe blow in the deans office selling my ssn off to Booker T. Scumbag. I mean really, who is the "deans office". I've never seen any disclosure policies for this information.

I guess it boils down to how much you trust your school (my paranoid sediment is shared by my classmates I assure you).

There's no other significance to this?

strange request...

as the inverse goes, if they already have our CV, grades, etc, why would they need to see our CAF?

All of my ID numbers, SS number, identification information to boot is there. I don't want Mr or Mrs Joe blow in the deans office selling my ssn off to Booker T. Scumbag. I mean really, who is the "deans office". I've never seen any disclosure policies for this information.

I guess it boils down to how much you trust your school (my paranoid sediment is shared by my classmates I assure you).

strange request...

I'm sure there's a huge market for medical student SSN's and ID numbers. Lay off the crackpipe...seriously. :smuggrin:

POX, thanks for your largely constructive, to-the-point posts. I really appreciate your assistance and... the seconds of my life you waste....

go waste someone else's time.

POX, thanks for your largely constructive, to-the-point posts. I really appreciate your assistance and... the seconds of my life you waste....

go waste someone else's time.

Relax, it was a joke. Seriously...I doubt you're administration is selling your info. If you think they are, why don't you just ask?

strange request...

im not sure what you are paranoid about, but...
1. the deans office probably already has your SSN from ur medschool application
2. the deans office is the place where you got your ID number anyways
3. i think it's to ur advantage if they know ur info during the scramble if it comes to that

Anyways...if you end up in the event that you have to scramble (which hopefully will not happen, but you never know), your Dean's office will have your information ready to go out (fax, email, etc.) to the programs you are going to scramble to. If they don't have your information, then you waste precious time by you printing out your application, scanning it into the computer, and then sending it out. I personally wouldn't want to waste this time when I'm already stressed out!

yeah, ok, you guys talked me into it...

I clicked YES to release the CAF to deans office...

CAF certified... phew

thanks

I'm sure there's a huge market for medical student SSN's and ID numbers. Lay off the crackpipe...seriously. :smuggrin:

It's not a joke - there really IS a market for med student personal information. How do you think you get all those directed mailings from residency programs and Kaplan and all that other junk mail? It's because the AMA or other people sell out your information. I don't like that idea much myself - it's a waste of paper and I feel like a piece of commercial property or something. Why should they make money off selling my information.

That aside, I doubt your dean's office would do it, I think it is more something your professional societies will do.

but trying not to spread your SSN around is no joke. Identity theft is rampant and even if your dean isn't going to steal your SSN (and already has it in the system somewhere), the more places it is available the more likely it is susceptible to being stolen by a hacker or someone who goes through wastebaskets or something. Sounds like a conspiracy theory but it really does happen and it sucks when it does.