Advantage of National Tech. certified??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildlifeSaver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is off topic, but I am for real. I am a pharmacy technician at the best place to be Cvs pharmacy (I know tell me about it)! Um well lately I have been thinking about taking the National Tech. test (not the little cvs tech test) and was wondering really what advantages will If I take the test. My job really won't give me a rise and everything, so. Can I use this to get into a hospital Pharm. tech job, just a higher level different place or just another place where they would say "wow we should give her a dollar or to more then what she used to make" Does this really hold weight? Does this look good prob for your resume or not that much different looking then what I already have which is being a pharmacy tech. at cvs for 8 months. Would this look good for med school? I mean it doesn't hurt and prob wouldn't hold any to much weight at all. What does everyone think? I would appreciate your kind comments thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I put it on my med school application, but it didn't really come up during my interviews. Makes you look better than just regular technician, but it's all about how you play it.

Why is it useful? Well I just sent my application to become a technician in Virginia in the other day because I'll be moving there soon. Currently I'm a tech in California. This wouldn't be possible anymore unless I was either nationally certified by PTCB or if I had taken some stupid tech classes in Virginia.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put it on my med school application, but it didn't really come up during my interviews. Makes you look better than just regular technician, but it's all about how you play it.

Why is it useful? Well I just sent my application to become a technician in Virginia in the other day because I'll be moving there soon. Currently I'm a tech in California. This wouldn't be possible anymore unless I was either nationally certified by PTCB or if I had taken some stupid tech classes in Virginia.
yeah I guess it could be useful and I guess its something to put on your app. Thanks for the advice

I know this is off topic, but I am for real. I am a pharmacy technician at the best place to be Cvs pharmacy (I know tell me about it)! Um well lately I have been thinking about taking the National Tech. test (not the little cvs tech test) and was wondering really what advantages will If I take the test. My job really won't give me a rise and everything, so. Can I use this to get into a hospital Pharm. tech job, just a higher level different place or just another place where they would say "wow we should give her a dollar or to more then what she used to make" Does this really hold weight? Does this look good prob for your resume or not that much different looking then what I already have which is being a pharmacy tech. at cvs for 8 months. Would this look good for med school? I mean it doesn't hurt and prob wouldn't hold any to much weight at all. What does everyone think? I would appreciate your kind comments thanks

The only advantage I can think of is what Meiser said, that if you move to another state you're most likely covered for licensure there.

In CA, you have to maintain your license as well as your certification. So you're paying more money to maintain both plus you have to do CE to keep your certification current. I couldn't tell you if it's different in other states or what.

Personally, I never bothered to take the national test and the only reason I would bother now is if my boss offered to pay the fees for the test. There is no pay bonus for me. We were recently hiring techs at my hospital and my boss asked me to go through applicants with him; we didn't care so much if you were certified but more that you had hospital experience. Some hospitals do require certification so in that case you would need the certification to qualify for the job.. But it won't get you the job. I've never seen any point to it, but I've met people who were really proud of their certification? I guess it's a personal thing.

The only advantage I can think of is what Meiser said, that if you move to another state you're most likely covered for licensure there.

In CA, you have to maintain your license as well as your certification. So you're paying more money to maintain both plus you have to do CE to keep your certification current. I couldn't tell you if it's different in other states or what.

Personally, I never bothered to take the national test and the only reason I would bother now is if my boss offered to pay the fees for the test. There is no pay bonus for me. We were recently hiring techs at my hospital and my boss asked me to go through applicants with him; we didn't care so much if you were certified but more that you had hospital experience. Some hospitals do require certification so in that case you would need the certification to qualify for the job.. But it won't get you the job. I've never seen any point to it, but I've met people who were really proud of their certification? I guess it's a personal thing.

I thought I would have something over the other dude that had the non national tech certification. CVS will give you 500 if you pass the test I believe and they pay for your classes. So what do I have to lose right? Wouldn't you get the job over person A with the same as person B experience, but A having the extra plus like being national certified? And I guess it wouldn't downfall my med app either

I worked uncertified for a while and for my employer they do actually pay more for a CPhT as opposed to a pharmacy "clerk" as they put it.

It paid off for me, I have been a tech for 6 years now and recently applied for a second part time job at an independent pharmacy. Other applicants had been techs for years, but I was the only certified one and got the job.

If you are going toward pharmacy school it is one more thing to add on to your application too :)

I thought I would have something over the other dude that had the non national tech certification. CVS will give you 500 if you pass the test I believe and they pay for your classes. So what do I have to lose right? Wouldn't you get the job over person A with the same as person B experience, but A having the extra plus like being national certified? And I guess it wouldn't downfall my med app either

I would do it - it's a little extra that not everybody will do, and CVS does pay for the test fee the first time you sit for the exam - or at least, they did when I took it.

I would do it - it's a little extra that not everybody will do, and CVS does pay for the test fee the first time you sit for the exam - or at least, they did when I took it.
Then I have nothing to lose