Advanced psychopharm topics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbomba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be spending some elective time with a very skilled psychopharmacologist my pgy4 year. Pretty much up to me in terms of what topics we cover. Anything in particular you would have liked to learn more about during residency or general suggestions for advanced learning topics?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask questions outside of their comfort zone or topics that interest you, I had a very prominent psychopharmacologist for my pgy4 but his talks tended to focus on his area of expertise (granted they were awesome)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What to do when clozapine with ECT has failed you with a schizophrenic patient - for "positive" symptoms

I'd ask about some of the older medications that are less common now but still sometimes used: MAOIs, FGAs, etc. Older psychiatrists and pharmacists just naturally have a better grasp of them than newer psychiatrists. I'd also ask about meds for specific patient populations you're interested in, ie pregnant/breastfeeding, seizure d/o, transplant patients, genetic d/o, and the such.

ETA: Also any research into newer meds with unique MOAs. I've been exploring the newer TAAR1 agonists and would love to talk to a pharmacist with more knowledge in that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users