Admissions for a career changer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vivs001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive are the higher-ranked MPH programs? I'm specifically interested in an epidemiology track. The problem is that I am a career changer with no relevant work experience or research experience. I was a biology major in college, and I've taken a couple of continuing ed courses in epidemiology and biostats. My GRE is 1500 and my undergrad GPA was 3.65 (from Harvard). Will my lack of experience be a huge strike against me? How are my chances at Columbia? at Yale? (I am limited geographically - need to be close to NYC).

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

In view of your stint at harvard and your great GRE score, why don't you consider Harvards as an option ?

the_maverick said:
In view of your stint at harvard and your great GRE score, why don't you consider Harvards as an option ?

I think you have to be an MD (or equivalent) to be considered for Harvard's MPH program. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

Members don't see this ad :)
vivs001 said:
I think you have to be an MD (or equivalent) to be considered for Harvard's MPH program. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

You couldn't apply to the MPH program at Harvard, but you might consider the MS or PhD programs.

Maya_M said:
You couldn't apply to the MPH program at Harvard, but you might consider the MS or PhD programs.

Interesting, I will look into that. Just to clarify, are you guys suggesting Harvard because it's a better program or because I would have a better shot of getting in there?

Can anyone answer my original question? Anyone know if I will have a hard time with admissions to Columbia? I would prefer to be in NYC for personal reasons. Thanks.

Your GPA/GRE combo will open a ton of doors; if you are passionate about public health and can convey that, you're set. I know from second and third hand info that your scores are good enough for Yale and Columbia. If the rest of your app is good, you'll probably have your choce. There are a few alums of both programmes around, so I will leave the details to them, as I never applied or went to either one.

I also recommend the MS in Epi at HSPH, its a great program.