Admission without Anatomy and Physiology (optometry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfeeney

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently graduated in December with a Biology degree but never took any anatomy and/or physiology classes - they weren't required to take to graduate. After graduating I decided I would look into Optometry and I love it, but I noticed most of the schools require those two classes. Has anyone gotten into optometry school without taking these classes? and if so where?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I can completely relate to this question since I had the same issue during admissions. I'm pretty sure physiology is a requirement for all of the programs (not 100% sure), but what I noticed was a lot of the programs started adding an additional anatomy and microbiology requirement.

I applied this cycle with physiology (and a physio lab) completed, but also a microbiology lab completed (no actual class, just a lab - which was a 5 unit course). I was very successful on getting into programs, but I believe most schools that I've talked to were planning on making both microbiology and anatomy a pre-requistes for applicants in the future. You might be able to get a chance for the next cycle (hoping the schools requirements didn't change, but your options will start becoming limited).

Out of the ones that I applied, after asking their admissions directly in regards to my lacking of anatomy/microbiology, they were willing to waive the microbiology (since I had taken at least a lab) and were fine there was no anatomy (although it was highly recommended). I applied to Indiana Uni, SUNY, Western, SALUS, UHCO, and Pacific in Oregon. The only one that had an issue was Pacific, which told me I would have to take anatomy prior to admission for sure.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can completely relate to this question since I had the same issue during admissions. I'm pretty sure physiology is a requirement for all of the programs (not 100% sure), but what I noticed was a lot of the programs started adding an additional anatomy and microbiology requirement.

I applied this cycle with physiology (and a physio lab) completed, but also a microbiology lab completed (no actual class, just a lab - which was a 5 unit course). I was very successful on getting into programs, but I believe most schools that I've talked to were planning on making both microbiology and anatomy a pre-requistes for applicants in the future. You might be able to get a chance for the next cycle (hoping the schools requirements didn't change, but your options will start becoming limited).

Out of the ones that I applied, after asking their admissions directly in regards to my lacking of anatomy/microbiology, they were willing to waive the microbiology (since I had taken at least a lab) and were fine there was no anatomy (although it was highly recommended). I applied to Indiana Uni, SUNY, Western, SALUS, UHCO, and Pacific in Oregon. The only one that had an issue was Pacific, which told me I would have to take anatomy prior to admission for sure.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions :)

Thank you so much!! You really helped out a lot. Now I am not feeling as stressed for when I apply in June...

Even if you can get in without it, I would take the course regardless. Yes it's optometry school, but you will still have to learn about systemic diseases and medications and without that backbone, it will be way more difficult for you. At least at my school, they don't bother explaining things I learned in that class because they assume we already know it. If you can find a way to get that class taken, I definitely would!

Reactions: 1 user