This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azide047

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 15 schools and want to know my chances of getting interviews at the following dental schools: Harvard, Penn, Columbia, Michigan, UNC, UCLA, UCSF, UConn, Case Western, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia-Augusta, Texas A&M (Baylor), U-Wash, Tufts

Here are my stats:

GPAs according to ADEA AADSAS dental service calculations:
GPA Inc +/- (A+, A, A-, B+...): sGPA 3.60, cGPA 3.72
GPA w/o +/- (A, B, C...): sGPA 3.67, cGPA 3.81
DAT: 23 AA, 20 PAT, 24 TS
Some Pre-College Credits: Lower tier state school
Undergraduate Education and Degree: Top state school
Post-Bacc semester: Lower tier state school
Course load: >> I have no idea how to measure this <<
- 1 semester abroad
Research: 1 year including poster presentation, no pubblications
LORs: 4 letters of rec
Shadowing: 231 hours dentists + OMFS
Work: Full-time at medical practice in PR and patient education (current and past summers), private organic chemistry tutor (2 semesters), private English tutor (1 semester abroad)
ECs:
- Health camp counselor (volunteer for 1 week)
- English teacher abroad (volunteer for 6 weeks)
- organic chemistry tutor volunteer, language club (6 semesters)
- pre-dental association (5 semesters)
- sports club (5 semesters)
- pen-pal club (2 semesters)
Residence: Atlanta, GA

In my year off (now until decision made in 2017):
- Continue full-time job at med practice (40 hrs/week)
- Shadow dentists/doctors (5-10 hrs/week)
- More volunteer opportunities (almost definitely) from other health-related camp counseling
- Volunteer at a free dental clinic (pending, 4 hrs/ week)
- Part-time Kaplan DAT teacher (pending, 5 hrs/ week)
- More research experience (possibly at GA tech, Emory or CDC)
- (hopefully some time to travel and enjoy the world)

What do you guys think are my chances this cycle? Thoughts on certain dental schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied to 15 schools and want to know my chances of getting interviews at the top ones: Harvard, Penn, Columbia, Michigan, UNC, UCLA, UCSF.

I also applied to these eight as well: Case Western, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia-Augusta, UConn, Texas A&M (Baylor), U-Wash, Tufts

I would move UConn from your "also applied to these eight" list to "the top ones" list. I mean- the program is fantastic. It's a privilege to be a student there. I don't know much about several of the other programs, but I do think there are more top quality programs in your "other eight" list.

Is Michigan your state of residence?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would move UConn from your "also applied to these eight" list to "the top ones" list. I mean- the program is fantastic. It's a privilege to be a student there. I don't know much about several of the other programs, but I do think there are more top quality programs in your "other eight" list.

Is Michigan your state of residence?

No, I live in Georgia.
What makes a program top notch anyway? The research funding? History? It's so much easier to distinguish rank or competitiveness in undergrad.

I shouldn't have phrased it like that- it's just that from what I've seen, the first seven are the hardest to get into.

Anyway what do you think are my chances given all my info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being out of state for Baylor, UW, UNC and Alabama will make it difficult for you. UConn also focuses on in state/New England area, so you have to be very competitive to gain admittance as an out of stater. Your GPA is below the average for both Harvard and UCLA. All the other schools you have a good shot at.

With your stats, you will be accepted to a number of schools. Work hard, do well, and you will be successful.
Good luck!

UPDATE: GPA Calculations are in!!

GPA Inc +/-

BCP 3.69
Science 3.60
Non-science 3.83
Total 3.72

GPA w/o +/-
BCP 3.70
Science 3.67
Non-Science 3.94
Total 3.81

Does this give me a shot at Harvard and UCLA?

No, start considering reapplying next year. That or post it in the chance me contaiment thread.

Harvard is too ridiculously hard. Asides from that I do think you have a chance at most schools you listed here. Good luck and great job making yourself a strong applicant :)

Reactions: 1 user
The state schools you posted, especially UW and Baylor, will probably be the hardest ones on your list just because of their in state preference.