Administration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnew2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal is ultimately to become a CMO. Obviously not an easy feat. Does it make sense to go from a position of medical director at a prestigious institution to a CMO in a less prestigious institution? seems that it's hard to become a CMO at a more prestigious place particularly with no experience. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

replacing current CMO at your institution is extremely tough unless they retire. Your options are much larger if you are expanding your search. I would still be in higher leadership. No one wants to hire just an attending Physician as CMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like the easiest thing to do is become CMO at the institution you’re at. That’s typically where our CMOs come from
I think that's very challenging to do. CMO are essentially one/institution, and replacing a CMO - unless by retirement or something is hard to do I think.

I think that's very challenging to do. CMO are essentially one/institution, and replacing a CMO - unless by retirement or something is hard to do I think.
True. It'd be playing the long game. Get signed onto lots of committees, run for president of Med Exec, etc., then you'd probably have a lot of support to become CMO when that position opened.

Depends how big your institution is. Nearly impossible at some. Gotta know people on the board and impress them.

I don’t know the normal jump, but going from medical director of a rehab unit to CMO is a big jump in my opinion. Fill some roles between. Build up to dept chair or whatever title your institution has. Get on national committees.

Also, I’ve never met a PMR CMO. Not saying it can’t or shouldn’t be done. But most seem to be IM.

Last edited:
Do you have a MBA or some other business related degree? I agree with others that you’re taking a road less traveled. Very much like becoming the lead sports doc to your favorite franchise…because a good competent doc isn’t enough. It takes networking and some luck. You’re going to figure out ways to make yourself competitive.

Do you have a MBA or some other business related degree? I agree with others that you’re taking a road less traveled. Very much like becoming the lead sports doc to your favorite franchise…because a good competent doc isn’t enough. It takes networking and some luck. You’re going to figure out ways to make yourself competitive.

I have an MPH and will soon have a MHA. I work for a pretty prestigious hospital currently. I agree a good competent doc isn't enough. I have seen multiple jobs for CMO that seem to be ok with the jump from med director to CMO. Clearly not a ton of CMOs out there so have to start somewhere

Reactions: 1 user
I have an MPH and will soon have a MHA. I work for a pretty prestigious hospital currently. I agree a good competent doc isn't enough. I have seen multiple jobs for CMO that seem to be ok with the jump from med director to CMO. Clearly not a ton of CMOs out there so have to start somewhere

Well that certainly helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends how big your institution is. Nearly impossible at some. Gotta know people on the board and impress them.

I don’t know the normal jump, but going from medical director of a rehab unit to CMO is a big jump in my opinion. Fill some roles between. Build up to dept chair or whatever title your institution has. Get on national committees.

Also, I’ve never met a PMR CMO. Not saying it can’t or shouldn’t be done. But most seem to be IM or surgery.
Quite a few PM&R CMO's but for rehab hospitals and companies. It easily takes 10+ years of leaderships roles within an organization to become CMO. Competence, hard work, networking and LUCK.

masochism!
Haha! No. I like the administrative part/process improvement type aspects of it in particular. I think I'm also a bit tired of clinical work.