Adjusting to Walgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeorgiaM

Reaction score
any advice after being trained at Walgreens and all of your techs have quit because training was subpar?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first of all, welcome to the corner of happy and healthy.

Losing ALL your experienced techs is nearly a deathblow. Ask them to come back, but in the event they do not, hire from other pharmacies or start training your less experienced team members (designated hitters, new hires, shift leads, store manager, etc.). Let the DM know and hopefully sister stores can spare some experienced techs to help you and the Rph manager out. Pharmacists alone can not run a successful pharmacy similar to how doctors can not run hospitals by themselves.

What part of the training was subpar? I can provide more help if I know where to help.

Reactions: 1 users
just hire who you can and keep going.....if the Dm's dont understand , get out.... no loyalty in this game anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, my first time posting here..
The pharmacy manager quit too
Walgreens came in and took ( we were Riteaid) one of our workstations so we have only 2 now , besides the registers and the pharmacists that came in to train us couldn’t touch the computer because they weren’t licensed in our state, and the technicians spent the whole time working their butts off to keep us caught up and weren’t really able to show us anything. Now the trainers are gone, the rxm is gone , techs are gone , we have an acting PDM and it’s a busy store. Very remote area as well.

I found Walgreens to have the most user friendly software on my rotations. Is it the software that is making everyone quit? I had rotations at both Rite Aid and Walgreens and found both to be easy to pick up. CVS had the highest learning curve IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
How busy can you be with only two workstations?

Honestly to me that sounds impossible. Training a whole new staff during the busiest time of year? I would force the techs to wear badges that say “IN TRAINING” so that at least the customers know what to expect.

I like the advice about asking the DM for help but that is more of a CYA move so the DM can’t later ask why you didn’t ask for help or let him know there is a problem. In reality, there is no help and you will be blamed for failure.

What state are you in?

You can't possibly only have 2 terminals. If that's true you should complain. Even the slowest pharmacies have at least 4 or 5 IC+ enabled terminals and a busy store can have up to 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found Walgreens to have the most user friendly software on my rotations. Is it the software that is making everyone quit? I had rotations at both Rite Aid and Walgreens and found both to be easy to pick up. CVS had the highest learning curve IMO.
Doing rotations is different than actually working and having your name on the label. Our intern over break hated the system and left a day early to go back to school.. just no training. Now all the blame will be put on me the lone cowgirl. So depressing
Please give me your numbers so I can call you during the day!!!

And how many are you doing now as a Walgreens? Because I cannot imagine doing even 300 a day with two stations.
Same or more. People hate the CVS and are transferring to us but then again they are transferring out. Which is compounding the problem. Can’t even check Rxs due to all the transferring going on. It’s a virtual circus

• Wow
I’ll try to find some slow stores “near” me ( 100 miles away) and have them on speed dial. The acting PDM knows what we need but nothing is happening
Is this normal?

Doing rotations is different than actually working and having your name on the label. Our intern over break hated the system and left a day early to go back to school.. just no training. Now all the blame will be put on me the lone cowgirl. So depressing
Please give me your numbers so I can call you during the day!!!

Actually they took our social security numbers and added us into the Walgreens system during rotations, so our names were on the labels, registers etc when we logged in and worked. I have no idea if that was legal or not. So we were just like the techs who worked there. I don't know how much easier the software can be than at Walgreens? Shrug. Try using RxConnect, PDX, or Meditech - those are much harder (but not that hard) to pick up.

Sorry, my first time posting here..
The pharmacy manager quit too
Walgreens came in and took ( we were Riteaid) one of our workstations so we have only 2 now , besides the registers and the pharmacists that came in to train us couldn’t touch the computer because they weren’t licensed in our state, and the technicians spent the whole time working their butts off to keep us caught up and weren’t really able to show us anything. Now the trainers are gone, the rxm is gone , techs are gone , we have an acting PDM and it’s a busy store. Very remote area as well.

Wow, sounds like your store is on fire......but im in a remote area of CO and this can be a problem in remote areas..... when the area is highly undesirable , or the stores may be separated by fierce and sprawling geographical routes....it makes things very difficult. Nobody wants to manage in the first place, and to get them out to a remote area is hard. tech help is also a major issue... finding competent help in rural areas with low populations is difficult, i can relate, you have a difficult store. I'm about to leave managing mine out here in CO because its been 3 years and WM is just going down the tubes. I'm licensed in FL originally , and heading back....good luck man, hang in and keep boxes handy for packing....do your time and get out....

Reactions: 2 users
It’s true. And as Riteaid we did 300-400 a day

Are you including your registers with IC+? That just doesnt make sense. Wags are set up with not that many terminals in the "back" but that's because the outwindow registers usually have IC+ and that's where a lot of work gets done. For example I have 10 terminals but 6 are at the registers 3 are the pharmacists and only 1 is a "tech" one into the filling area...

Are you including your registers with IC+? That just doesnt make sense. Wags are set up with not that many terminals in the "back" but that's because the outwindow registers usually have IC+ and that's where a lot of work gets done. For example I have 10 terminals but 6 are at the registers 3 are the pharmacists and only 1 is a "tech" one into the filling area...
4 total
1 at drive thru 1 at regular register then 2 on counter

Actually they took our social security numbers and added us into the Walgreens system during rotations, so our names were on the labels, registers etc when we logged in and worked. I have no idea if that was legal or not. So we were just like the techs who worked there. I don't know how much easier the software can be than at Walgreens? Shrug. Try using RxConnect, PDX, or Meditech - those are much harder (but not that hard) to pick up.
The RiteAid NextGen system was a dream. Apparently Walgreens tried to buy it