ADEX exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeagueofLigTies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be graduating dental school this year with hopes to continue specialty residency in NY. I’m pretty confused on licensing, and I don’t have any dental family to help guide me. Would it make sense for me to take the ADEX exam now while I have my hand skills, knowing that years down the road I may possibly move to another state? I tried to look up each states requirements, or license by credentials but I’m even more confused. It seems like most states (east coast) require an applicant have taken the ADEX at some point in time, even for license by credential requirements.
Some states I’m interested in: PA, NC, MA, NJ, CT, FL, NH, RI.
Can anyone give insight? Is it more worth it for me to see if I match into a NY specialty residency and take the CDCA at a later date this year? Ideally I’d like to practice in NY for a few years and consider moving down the road.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take the exam while in school and did a PGY-1 residency because I thought I'd never move from NY and was advised during D4 year to take it regardless and still decided not to. Now things have changed and I'm looking to specialize where some programs need you to have an unrestricted dental license in their state prior to beginning the program where they only accept the ADEX exam.
I believe currently NY, CA, and Delaware only accept PGY-1 for licensure and do not accept the ADEX and some states accept the DLOSCE instead of the ADEX like Colorado, Idaho, Alaska, and a few others don't remember.
Long story short, now I'm having to reach out to my dental school to try and take it there and for a place to practice. Thankfully my dental school is allowing alumni to do so, but not sure about your situation. If that's not an option, there are hands on ADEX courses like one in CA and TX that cost $$$ and schools where they accept outside candidates, but you would have to think about travel costs there too, certain dates where you can take it, and being in a different environment than your own dental school.

Basically, if you can save yourself the headache, emails, and money just take it now. Hopefully this helps and good luck!

I forgot to mention, I think if you work for 5 years in a state you can get a license in a different state, it's called "Licensure by credentials". Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take the exam while in school and did a PGY-1 residency because I thought I'd never move from NY and was advised during D4 year to take it regardless and still decided not to. Now things have changed and I'm looking to specialize where some programs need you to have an unrestricted dental license in their state prior to beginning the program where they only accept the ADEX exam.
I believe currently NY, CA, and Delaware only accept PGY-1 for licensure and do not accept the ADEX and some states accept the DLOSCE instead of the ADEX like Colorado, Idaho, Alaska, and a few others don't remember.
Long story short, now I'm having to reach out to my dental school to try and take it there and for a place to practice. Thankfully my dental school is allowing alumni to do so, but not sure about your situation. If that's not an option, there are hands on ADEX courses like one in CA and TX that cost $$$ and schools where they accept outside candidates, but you would have to think about travel costs there too, certain dates where you can take it, and being in a different environment than your own dental school.

Basically, if you can save yourself the headache, emails, and money just take it now. Hopefully this helps and good luck!
Thanks! Yeah I totally agree, I was debating taking it now for the reasons you mentioned. The only thing where I’m hesitant is if I stay in NY for 5 years, then I would hope I’d be qualified for ‘licensing by credentials” . But I don't fully understand how it works, and if I was reading correctly some states still require the ADEX to get licensing by credentials

Do you know if residency programs in each state require you to be licensed? I’m hoping to do a 3yr ortho residency in NY but I won’t find out until November

Do you know if residency programs in each state require you to be licensed? I’m hoping to do a 3yr ortho residency in NY but I won’t find out until November
I believe some hospital based ones require you to have a license, but some programs also allow the resident to have a "limited license" which doesn't require you to take the ADEX, just proof that you're in a residency program. In that case, I would reach out to the programs you're applying to to find out. Some of them have it written on their websites, but some do not.
You can wait until November, but I don't know if it wouldn't be too late to register for the ADEX to take it with the rest of your class.

Take the exam ..