Adena Regional EM Residency Loses ACGME accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted436726

This has been making its way through the grapevine and is official per the ACGME website and the hospital itself. Anyone have any details on what happened? Are we looking at another Summa here?

Members don't see this ad.

Chief resident at my program just put it out to us about an hour and a half ago. From his source, they haven't given any details to the residents either . Between Hahnemann and OVMC, we may have room for a couple more displaced residents when the time comes.

Dear lord. This stuff has to stop happening. What a shame, I feel awful for the residents there. I have zero knowledge of what happened there, but it does look like from the acgme timeline they were up for their full accreditation this year, so I presume their site visit did not go well. Total speculation. Regardless, totally stinks for those residents mid training. Just an awful situation, once again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno. This looks like many of the newer EM residencies- totally sketch, only 261 beds at the home campus, tiny health system. This should probably never have opened to begin with.

Reactions: 4 users
Never fully accredited by ACGME. Was an AOA program trying to transition. Probably had some stuff to fix after the initial accreditation visit and didn’t get it done.

the ADS also says that the effective date for withdrawal of accreditation is June 30 2021 so I don’t think they are orphaning any current residents.

Reactions: 1 user
2021 means the current interns can’t graduate and are orphans.

If I was ever trying to get my program accredited or pass an ACGME visit, I'd just hire whoever this HCA **** is that keeps giving ACGME ******** under the table. They've managed to open like 6 residencies in FL. ACGME just smiles. Corrupt *****s.

Reactions: 3 users
If I was ever trying to get my program accredited or pass an ACGME visit, I'd just hire whoever this HCA **** is that keeps giving ACGME ******** under the table. They've managed to open like 6 residencies in FL. ACGME just smiles. Corrupt *****s.
Oh wait, I'm sorry, 9 residencies in FL. 9! They've opened 9 residencies! North Florida, that BS site. Is this some kind of sick joke?

Never fully accredited by ACGME. Was an AOA program trying to transition. Probably had some stuff to fix after the initial accreditation visit and didn’t get it done

I think until we hear from someone on the inside this is the best guess. Their program info on the acgme website shows their full accreditation site visit to be this fall. So the timeline would fit that it didnt go well. Im sure someone will find out what went down.

I know nothing about Adena, but one thing I didnt like about the merger was it seemed that the initial accreditation was kind of a little more lax to give time to get things in order for full accreditation. Which I thought was kind of dangerous for some of the smaller AOA programs. You either meet the standards or you dont. I wonder if this will happen to any of the other AOA programs that transitioned?

I know they just had a new CMG takeover in their ED. Heard they couldn’t staff with a lot of the attendings. Probably part of the reason.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
If only a few more closed down now. On one side you guys lament over the residency expansion, on the other end you feel remorse over some of these new iffy programs closing down. Having a ridiculous number of subpar residencies is not good for our specialty. I went to a 40 year old established program. As a new attending, I'm still scared **** of so many things after getting really good training. Being an ER doctor is incredibly difficult. There needs to be a standard for programs that is maintained.

Yeah residents will have orphan status. But acgme ensures they get a spot at another program and graduate on time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
That’s a bummer. Their PD did a podcast episode on Zac Olsen’s EMClerkship recently, and sounded like a very genuine guy who was working hard to build his program.

I’m fact, Zac asked him if he had any risk of losing their contract or having a summa like situation and the PD said no (paraphrasing).

Hope this doesn’t happen to whatever residency I pick.

Yeah, that was also Mike Weinstock's program, of EM bouncebacks (and EMRAP). I'm sure they had other accomplished faculty. Sad to see, but I agree with the poster above that said that programs that are on shaky ground getting closed isn't a bad thing in the long run. Just stinks for the faculty and residents currently there in the short run.

Dear lord. This stuff has to stop happening. What a shame, I feel awful for the residents there. I have zero knowledge of what happened there, but it does look like from the acgme timeline they were up for their full accreditation this year, so I presume their site visit did not go well. Total speculation. Regardless, totally stinks for those residents mid training. Just an awful situation, once again.

Does need to stop? I can think of 15 or 20 other disaster programs that could use a little natural selection. Remember, 80% of this subforum’s bandwidth is spent bemoaning the labor glut that has developed in the field. Fixing that omelette will require that we break some eggs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Does need to stop? I can think of 15 or 20 other disaster programs that could use a little natural selection. Remember, 80% of this subforum’s bandwidth is spent bemoaning the labor glut that has developed in the field. Fixing that omelette will require that we break some eggs.

Well it needs to stop because "disaster programs" shouldn't be accreditted in the first place. I really think the initial accredidation for the AOA to ACGME transition should have been more rigid; you either met ACGME criteria or you didn't. Programs had 5 years to get there in the first place.

Although again, I don't know if Adena was a bad program. They may have offered great training in the past, then just had a CMG takeover and had a bunch of faculty quit. Who knows. Until we hear from someone in the inside, I don't think its fair to label every program closure as a disaster program. Things can change quickly if all of a sudden a hospital gets bought out, or the faculty contract is terminated and given to a CMG, etc.

I rotated at the program years ago. It may be a good thing that it’s closed.

Reactions: 5 users
the ADS also says that the effective date for withdrawal of accreditation is June 30 2021 so I don’t think they are orphaning any current residents.
According to this statement, their interns are orphaned. The others can finish.

Second and third-year residents will be able to complete their residency programs before the withdrawal, but first-year residents will experience the most impact.
In total, there are 20 emergency residents in Adena's program. There are three fourth-year residents, five third-year residents, six second-year residents and six first-year residents in the post-graduate program.

The decision to withdraw the program was unexpected and the health system says they are disappointed. At this time, it is unclear why the committee made the decision to terminate the accreditation but a letter of notification sent by the ACGME within 60 days may provide more insight.

Last edited:
According to this statement, their interns are orphaned. The others can finish.

Bizarre that they still haven't said why the ACGME shut it down. This article would lead you to believe the ACGME didn't tell them why. That just doesn't seem realistic.

This is terrible for residents, and I feel awful for them, but I really hope the ACGME starts cracking down on several more of the residencies that are sprouting up, especially several of these HCA programs. I think a couple of their programs closing might send a message to them to stop trying to open residency programs.

Bizarre that they still haven't said why the ACGME shut it down. This article would lead you to believe the ACGME didn't tell them why. That just doesn't seem realistic.

You’re are more involved in residency accreditation than me. Does it also seem odd to you that the institution claims to be taken by surprise by the withdrawal? I always got the impression that programs get the axe for flagrant BS that shouldn’t surprise anyone, or repeatedly failing to correct more minor deficiencies that come up on surveys or investigations.

Former DO program. Probably a poor site visit.

You’re are more involved in residency accreditation than me. Does it also seem odd to you that the institution claims to be taken by surprise by the withdrawal? I always got the impression that programs get the axe for flagrant BS that shouldn’t surprise anyone, or repeatedly failing to correct more minor deficiencies that come up on surveys or investigations.

Yeah, I posted before that they recently had their site visit based on the ADS data. I'm sure that came into play. My guess is they had glaring issues they were told to fix and didn't/couldn't from their initial accredidation visit. I still don't know why they wouldn't have been informed though what the reason for the withdrawal was, unless they know and aren't telling the media. Or if the ACGME report was vague and they wanted specifics. Who knows.