This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychiatry1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, relatively new user here. Thanks in advance for your help!
I am currently a PGY3 psych resident considering applying for an addiction psychiatry fellowship to start in July 2022. I have had an interest in the field of addictions even before starting residency and in an ideal world I would love to specialize in this. However, there are a few concerns I have prior to applying for fellowship and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. Also, if anyone has any tips/insights into any specific programs that would be appreciated as well!

Concerns:
1. IMG and low USMLE Step 1-3 scores,, currently at a community hospital residency program - I am unsure if I am competitive enough to be considered for a fellowship position. I do however have a decent amount of scholarly activity and research and am not sure how much this could help tip the scale?
2. I have very young children at home - are most programs family friendly or are there specific programs that are? (Less intense hours, no weekend/night call, etc)
3. Does it really matter how "prestigious" a program is in regards to quality of education and future job prospects?
4. What exactly is the timeline for applying? It seems like most programs don't even list the timeframe and some are all over the place.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

1/2 the programs don't fill. Confirm this on the ERAS/NRMP website, which ever one it is. The majority will consider anyone who applies. If you want a position, you'll find one somewhere.

You could potentially set your self up to do the practice pathway for addiction medicine and skip a fellowship.

1/2 the programs don't fill. Confirm this on the ERAS/NRMP website, which ever one it is. The majority will consider anyone who applies. If you want a position, you'll find one somewhere.

You could potentially set your self up to do the practice pathway for addiction medicine and skip a fellowship.
Thanks for your reply! I had considered addiction medicine but ultimately I think I would prefer to pursue the addiction psychiatry route.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re a PGY-3, you could easily do the addiction medicine practice pathway after finishing addiction psych fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, relatively new user here. Thanks in advance for your help!
I am currently a PGY3 psych resident considering applying for an addiction psychiatry fellowship to start in July 2022. I have had an interest in the field of addictions even before starting residency and in an ideal world I would love to specialize in this. However, there are a few concerns I have prior to applying for fellowship and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. Also, if anyone has any tips/insights into any specific programs that would be appreciated as well!

Concerns:
1. IMG and low USMLE Step 1-3 scores,, currently at a community hospital residency program - I am unsure if I am competitive enough to be considered for a fellowship position. I do however have a decent amount of scholarly activity and research and am not sure how much this could help tip the scale?
2. I have very young children at home - are most programs family friendly or are there specific programs that are? (Less intense hours, no weekend/night call, etc)
3. Does it really matter how "prestigious" a program is in regards to quality of education and future job prospects?
4. What exactly is the timeline for applying? It seems like most programs don't even list the timeframe and some are all over the place.

Thank you so much!
1) as mentioned above, the main qualification is going to be a desire to do it.
2) most programs are quite family friendly. Might have some evening work you're expected to do (groups, etc). Addiction fellows who work tons of hours are usually doing it because they choose to, because they can make $$,$$$ moonlighting
3) no
4) most will want to be making their decisions by January, but admissions are indeed all over the place. Many are very flexible for off-cycle starts as well.

Reactions: 1 user
1) as mentioned above, the main qualification is going to be a desire to do it.
2) most programs are quite family friendly. Might have some evening work you're expected to do (groups, etc). Addiction fellows who work tons of hours are usually doing it because they choose to, because they can make $$,$$$ moonlighting
3) no
4) most will want to be making their decisions by January, but admissions are indeed all over the place. Many are very flexible for off-cycle starts as well.
Thank you OldPsychDoc, appreciate the detailed response! Very encouraging to hear. Would you mind clarifying - If I want to start July 2022, the programs will be making their decisions by Jan 2022 or Jan 2021? Thanks again!

I'm only starting out, but what are the advantages of going fellowship versus addiction medicine? I'm wanting to buy a house and I feel like the drop in pay might delay that (even if only a short while).

If you’re a PGY-3, you could easily do the addiction medicine practice pathway after finishing addiction psych fellowship.
Hey Reca, I have started to look further into the addiction med practice pathway. I realized I may have wrongly dismissed this notion too soon (I spoke with my PD about this and he said that it would be too late for me). However the ABPN website specifically states it doesn't expire until 2025. Would you happen to have any thoughts on if it's still feasible to go this path? Thanks!

Hey Reca, I have started to look further into the addiction med practice pathway. I realized I may have wrongly dismissed this notion too soon (I spoke with my PD about this and he said that it would be too late for me). However the ABPN website specifically states it doesn't expire until 2025. Would you happen to have any thoughts on if it's still feasible to go this path? Thanks!
I'm wondering about how to do the practice pathway for certification from a primary care role (internal medicine).

how is addiction medicine different from addiction psychiatry

Pathway now open until 2025 assuming you find the right job that will qualify. You will need to demonstrate 24 months of addiction work following residency. Not every position out there will allow you to hit the numbers however I am not sure how stringent they are in tracking. A mentor of mine has suggested keeping a tally of cases for evidence.

I thought about the fellowship at some point.

Happy that I did not go that route (would've costed me over 200K).

Definitely feasible. They only recently extended the expiration date. The Addiction PD at my residency told me over a year ago that this would be the case (and basically hinted this would be the way to go with with a solid job lined up). Just about everyone out there with the ABPN Board Certification has gone this route. Strike while the iron's hot.

Definitely feasible. They only recently extended the expiration date. The Addiction PD at my residency told me over a year ago that this would be the case (and basically hinted this would be the way to go with with a solid job lined up). Just about everyone out there with the ABPN Board Certification has gone this route. Strike while the iron's hot.
Thanks Dharma for the reply. I'm really glad they extended the deadline. I'm wondering though if I did pursue the Addiction psych fellowship if the time spent in training for that fellowship would count towards the Addiction med requirements? Thanks!

I'm wondering about how to do the practice pathway for certification from a primary care role (internal medicine).
I'd imagine it would be the same requirements? lfill the 1920 hours needed, which might actually be very feasible if your primary care setting has a high volume of SUDs?

how is addiction medicine different from addiction psychiatry
Good question. I have heard mixed things but basically I understand it as: they are significantly overlapping but addiction meds has more emphasis on interdisciplinary work with the medical team (for ex, seeing acutely detoxing patients in the ICU, as opposed to seeing detoxing patients on the psych ward with cooccurring mood disorders in add. psych). I'll let the experts give a better explanation though