Addiction Psychiatry Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[DPD]

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m a PG3 psychiatry getting ready to apply for addiction fellowship. Since there isn’t a match and each program is rolling admission, I’m wondering what that process looks like. What if you have offers from multiple programs? What is the typical time frame they need to hear back for you to commit? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the time!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply ASAP as soon as each program's open for application. Reach out individually. If you have offers from multiple programs you can leverage that and negotiate for what you want, though the effort is often not successful. Program directors may give you pressure. Commitment is also rolling.

All in all, basically treat it as a regular job application.

Also look into addiction medicine fellowships.

Following up on this: Is there a typical duration of time between sending out an application and expecting an interview invitation? I figured that most invites are sent out around May-July, though I've also hear some places starting interviews in the fall and others not even sending out interviews because they pre-filled with internal applicants.