Addiction Medicine Fellowships Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LABrondo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am curious to know if anyone knows the rankings or quality of training you can get from each addiction medicine fellowship. Is there a list or anything out there that anyone knows about? (Separate from location). Would going to one (such top 20 med school name) help more with job prospects/salary than another?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for everywhere, but at all the places I've worked this is one of those fellowships that so long as you've done it you won't have any problems getting hired. I would assume if you were going for an academic job it would matter more (because it always seems to), but if you just want to get a job in addictions out in the community then anywhere you train should be OK.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah, these fellowships aren't even taken too seriously as most people take the clinical route with the exam. Just apply to places you may like and ask the fellows their experiences

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, these fellowships aren't even taken too seriously as most people take the clinical route with the exam. Just apply to places you may like and ask the fellows their experiences

That’s what I heard too, but the practice pathway is closing soon so not sure what happens after if it will be important or not.

That’s what I heard too, but the practice pathway is closing soon so not sure what happens after if it will be important or not.
Once certified, you'll be grandfathered in

Once certified, you'll be grandfathered in

I meant, I won’t be eligible to get into it with the practice pathway. So after that closes, and you can only go in through a fellowship, I did not know if the rankings would matter at that point.

I meant, I won’t be eligible to get into it with the practice pathway. So after that closes, and you can only go in through a fellowship, I did not know if the rankings would matter at that point.
Rankings don't matter for any fellowship, much less addiction that routinely goes unmatched

Rankings don't matter for any fellowship, much less addiction that routinely goes unmatched

Okay that is good to know! After the pathway closes it won’t go unmatched anymore unfortunately.

Okay that is good to know! After the pathway closes it won’t go unmatched anymore unfortunately.
Why would you think that? The pathway was in part opened up due to the severely low demand for fellowship spots. I doubt that it will be anywhere near challenging to get that fellowship in 10 years even.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you think that? The pathway was in part opened up due to the severely low demand for fellowship spots. I doubt that it will be anywhere near challenging to get that fellowship in 10 years even.

I just figured it people are forced to do a fellowship vs having a pathway to get certified without fellowship, they will then go into doing the fellowship since that would be the only way to get certified. It may have been opened up for that reason but it’s closing down soon.

It won't. People get certified because it's easy to do without getting a fellowship. It's like obesity

Addictions doesn't meaningfully change your salary or schedule, and a good chunk of addictions (suboxone, EToH use, etc) is fairly easily done by PCPs without much extra training, so I can't imagine it will ever be competitive. I imagine it'll be in the same boat as obesity and geriatrics.

Reactions: 1 user
I just figured it people are forced to do a fellowship vs having a pathway to get certified without fellowship, they will then go into doing the fellowship since that would be the only way to get certified. It may have been opened up for that reason but it’s closing down soon.
Realistically, that just means more of the addiction jobs will be held by people who aren't addictions boarded. It already is the case that the overwhelming majority of addictions jobs don't have boarded providers. The only benefit to the boarding now is it is easier to run a methadone clinic. Other than that, it's a meaningless board certification.

Reactions: 2 users