Acute Care Surgery/ Trauma Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted830324

What is the lifestyle of a trauma surgeon like? Especially at an academic hospital. How do things work at a level one academic place?

I know different hospitals run things differently, like in an academic level one center with many attendings, they share in house call? What is it like being a trauma surgeon at a level one academic hospital? What is your weekly schedule like? What hours do you normally work? What is the call schedule like? Do you just take call for one night and stay overnight in the hospital? Also I know level one centers have to have the other specialities in house and on call? So do you have neurosurg, Ortho, cardiolthorcic, etc. all in the hospital and in call in a call room? I've heard some places are now doing shift work? Also as a trauma surgeon at an academic hospital aren't you responsible for doing research and teaching fellows? Also one thing i've always wondered about is how does the hierarchy among the department work? Don't you have the director and then the attendings and aren't the attendings also "clinical professors"? I know that what goes on at a level one academic hospital trauma center is way different than a level three small community hospital. Also i've read that many places are adopting the acute care model and many of the trauma surgeons do elective General surgery and when in call for the trauma service also do emergency general surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

my BF does shift work. Does GS on the side and take in house call. Trauma doesn't really pay as well so you need to supplement it with GS.

Trauma surgery isn’t what you are thinking as a lot of it is non-operative management. Many of your questions have variable answers depending on the hospital set up.