Actual UWorld Correlation with Step 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes first pass at random.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes first pass at random.
Do you count all of them or just the later ones? Because the earlier ones dont reflect how much you know towards the end of your study period when you actually take the test. Unless the correlation table already takes that into account!

Do you count all of them or just the later ones? Because the earlier ones dont reflect how much you know towards the end of your study period when you actually take the test. Unless the correlation table already takes that into account!

Wouldn't overthink it. Just establish a baseline, learn, and keep improving. The random-timed blocks during the last few weeks of studying will be reflective of your score, most likely.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to interrupt the fight going on, just took UWSA1 and got a 232, meanwhile, my block scores have been between 70-75%, consistently. I've heard that UWSA over-predicts - how should I be approaching this?

What's UWSA1?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

All of them, start till end. For step 1 in the end I was mostly between 75 - 85%. Eventually I was able to drag up my average for the whole thing. My usmle step 2 average didn't fluctuate much. I stared lower 80s in the beginning, upper 80s and lower 90s in the end.

I had a similar experience to Cyanide.

For Step 1, my first pass through UWorld was 74%, actual score = 269.
For Step 2, my only pass through UWorld was 86%, actual score = 274.

Yeah... Old threads or pages are good... But what are the 95% CI for these correlations...

Ended up scoring exactly as predicted by the link that @Psai posted a few weeks back - I guess that someone did really do their homework in preparing it!

Ended up scoring exactly as predicted by the link that @Psai posted a few weeks back - I guess that someone did really do their homework in preparing it!

☺ i would never intentionally steer you wrong or say something i didn't believe

☺ i would never intentionally steer you wrong or say something i didn't believe
It does seem rather generous but I don't have nearly enough experience to know.

Well you make me feel like a true idiot. I averaged over 80% on my first pass of uworld for Step 1 and only got in the low 250s. :(:(:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you make me feel like a true idiot. I averaged over 80% on my first pass of uworld for Step 1 and only got in the low 250s. :(:(:(

In the top 10th percentile at your top 5 school? With a few pubs only in jama, not like it's science or nature

Reactions: 2 users

Fingers crossed I have a similar outcome on step 2. Did you do Step 2 UW throughout clerkships or just at the end during 2CK prep time?

Always remember UWorld Question Bank is a learning tool, not an assessment. Don't obsess over the % you get correctly and simply learn from the questions/explanation.

Reactions: 4 users
Reminded almost a year later by someone PM'ing me about this. Unfortunately, most of those that responded to the survey were either high scorers (260+), or lower end scorers, without many "average" scores to correlate with, which will not allow for any sort of accurate determination of a correlation - along with the many people who decided to put obviously random answers in (40% / 289). Anyways, my overall ended up being pretty close to the table posted previously on this thread by @Psai (low 80s average = 260). Perhaps there is some truth to the table. Here is the link again: https://usmle-score-correlation.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Reminded almost a year later by someone PM'ing me about this. Unfortunately, most of those that responded to the survey were either high scorers (260+), or lower end scorers, without many "average" scores to correlate with, which will not allow for any sort of accurate determination of a correlation - along with the many people who decided to put obviously random answers in (40% / 289). Anyways, my overall ended up being pretty close to the table posted previously on this thread by @Psai (low 80s average = 260). Perhaps there is some truth to the table. Here is the link again: https://usmle-score-correlation.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

???

"Perhaps there is some truth to the table?"

???

Does not compute

Uworld average actually better predicted my score than NBME average, although n=1

Reactions: 2 users
I've come across a ton of outdated and seemingly opinion-based articles about the correlation between UWorld averages and Step 1 scores, which I feel are useless without sources backing where these stats came from. I'm interested in compiling some data on this; I think it could be helpful for everyone to track their progress and get an idea of where they stand. I'll publish the results on here once I have a solid sample size. If you've taken Step 1 already and received your score, and went through a significant portion of UWorld for prep, please answer the survey below (completely anonymous) with your UWorld average and Step 1 score. Thanks!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W8QPJW7

I'm sorry but this is not going to mean anything. First of all this is SDN which hardly represents the typical med student. At least have a question asking about whether UWorld was used primarily as a learning or assessment tool because that's a huge confounder.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel like theres no correlation to that table, im on my first past right now and i flucuate btw 70 to 85 % mainly staying in the 75% area. I think assessments should be more for nbme exams . I know its a long shot but, how many actually do two pass of uworld in dedicated study time ?

I feel like theres no correlation to that table, im on my first past right now and i flucuate btw 70 to 85 % mainly staying in the 75% area. I think assessments should be more for nbme exams . I know its a long shot but, how many actually do two pass of uworld in dedicated study time ?

Are you all done with RX? If you don't mind me asking, how does your score in RX compare to Uworld? Trying to see where I stand before starting Uworld...

Obviously your score is going to fluctuate from one test to another since everyone has strong and weak areas- that's why the table is based off of your overall percentile and your first pass. But UW isn't meant to be a correlation too in the first place- it's for learning. So I completely agree with you in that NBME's should be used more for how well someone would do if they took the exam tomorrow. However, oftentimes overall percentile does correlate with performance on exam (me). In fact, it was closer to my final score than NBME averages.

Are you all done with RX? If you don't mind me asking, how does your score in RX compare to Uworld? Trying to see where I stand before starting Uworld...
i finished rx with a 79% all i have left is respiratory and u world right now is a few points lower so id say its close but take 7% off

Obviously your score is going to fluctuate from one test to another since everyone has strong and weak areas- that's why the table is based off of your overall percentile and your first pass. But UW isn't meant to be a correlation too in the first place- it's for learning. So I completely agree with you in that NBME's should be used more for how well someone would do if they took the exam tomorrow. However, oftentimes overall percentile does correlate with performance on exam (me). In fact, it was closer to my final score than NBME averages.
if you dont mind me asking what as your percentile finished after your first pass that it correlated to your step score ?

UWorld first pass: timed mode doing random questions (not always from freshly reviewed block). 61%

UWorld second pass (only got about halfway through). 79%

Free 150 @ pro metric testing center March 3 2017 = 86%

Step 1: took March 10 2017 = 235

Last edited:
Further proof that me > op
Dude, I agreed with you like 3 months ago that the site you posted was pretty accurate. You gonna be okay or should I create a new thread about you being right? Starting to sound a little bit Trump-like...

Dude, I agreed with you like 3 months ago that the site you posted was pretty accurate. You gonna be okay or should I create a new thread about you being right? Starting to sound a little bit Trump-like...

No need, I already knew I was right from the start. Thanks for the compliment though

UWorld predicted mine spot on. 83% on UWorld, 260 on Step 1.

I got a 70% on Uworld. Timed and random. Ended up with a 244 on Step 1

This chart predicted my score exactly. 80% --> 262. Most people i talked to after the test were +/- around 5 points from this chart which really surprised me.